Chapter 7

Later

He excused himself from the reception and proceeded to the gents. Once he did so, he drowned himself and continuously splashed water to his face. He gripped the edge of the sink and looked at himself through the mirror.

“She didn’t come.” That same statement up to when the wedding ended kept ringing bells all over his system. With that, it made him think that she doesn’t love him anymore, which she knew from the very start when he knew that he hurt her. That perhaps, maybe it’d just hurt her twice as much as what he’s feeling now. Not forgetting the fact that he just disappointed the crowd by not kissing his own bride on the lips back at the altar when they were exchanging vows.

!@#$%^&*

“Finally finished!” Hebe exclaimed and heaved out a sigh of relief as she spun herself around just to meet a curious pair of eyes right in front of her.

“You.” Hebe and the man both said in chorus and pointed at one another.

“How is she?” He abruptly changed the topic and settled his eyes sideways; trying to avoid her possible death glared shot right through him.

“Do you need to know?” Hebe asked him and turned her back with him facing no one any longer.

Chun bit his cheeks and gulped, trying to shake all the bitterness he felt and trying to find the right words to say—right words to ask Hebe about her, Ella’s current condition.

“Of course I need to know.” The feeling of anger and despair in needing Ella escaped his wrath. Indeed is it that he couldn’t managed to choke himself and bottle up any longer the true feelings he felt. He couldn’t in any way longer fill up his mind to the brim with thoughts of her, with wanting her and needing her at the same time. “I still love her…” He whispered and bit his lower lip.

Hebe nodded her head slowly, trying to analyze the whole situation. She walked in circles around him, trying to make a judgment of what she ought to say next. “You’re married, Wu Chun!” She yelled at him.

“Can you lower down your tone?” Chun furrowed his eyebrows and looked around their environment if it was indeed safe and that no one could hear them.

“Are you afraid that people would curse you just because you don’t love the bride you married?” Hebe rose up an eyebrow and angrily looked at him. “How cynical can you get, Mr. I-Still-Love-Her?”

“I don’t know…” For a minute, he found the ground amusing and right at the moment that he looked up again, he saw brown orbs staring back at him.

“Ella.” He called out her name and stepped forward to the woman who he thought was her.

“Hey, do you hear me?” Hebe asked in anger and pushed him with full force with his body flailing to the wall when he noticed him nearing to her. “I’m not Ella, you idiot!” Hebe exclaimed and stomped her legs out of the reception area, steaming with anger.

!@#$%^&*

“Who’s Ella?” Charlene who just exited the comfort room asked herself when she saw Chun talking with an unknown girl who, with her knowledge, she knew she didn’t know who.

Chun, on the other hand started panting real hard just because of the blows he previously consumed when Hebe thrashed him to the wall.

“Chun, are you alright?” Charlene came running to Chun who was now sitting straight up the floor worriedly.

“You’ve heard it all?” Chun asked her in shock.

“Can I do anything about it?” It’s as if that she didn’t care at all towards her feelings, but only his. She is crazily in love with him that she’d do everything that he wants to; even though she clearly knew now that Chun really does not, in any way, love her.

“Let’s divorce.” Chun coldly replied that sent Charlene feeling all dejected and painstakingly resisted the daggers that shot through her heart that shattered it.

They were barely officially married and he wants to divorce already?

“I can do anything for you as long as it’s within my limits.” Charlene spoke. “Please…” She cupped and silently cried. “Just not divorce with me…” She paused. “Give me some more time to savor my remaining days with you, Chun.”

“Remaining days?” Chun’s eyes widened, as if he knew what she’s talking about. “Are you having your attacks?” He hurriedly fixed up himself and brought her into his arms. “I’m so sorry.” He whispered to her ears.

Yes, she had an illness. An illness that is incurable. She often used this as an excuse for him to remain longer with her, but she knew her time will run out, so her main reason now is just to savor her span of time with him. The day she dies, she wants him to be there by her side, trying to take away the pain of heart disease.

“They’re there!” Someone from behind the couple announced.

Immediately, Charlene pulled out pretence and wiped her tears away, trying to cover up for Chun. She didn’t want him to be accused of making the bride cry, so she jerked free from his embrace and faced the music, the crowd that they’re yet to be facing.

“Let’s go back to the reception, shall we?” Charlene smiled at them and led them back to the reception.

Chun was left there in the lobby, dumbfounded. He didn’t know if it was the right time to follow them inside once again, so he took his time to meditate even before he could follow. He didn't even know if ever they noticed him, so he didn't care.