Chapter 31

Later

The next day, walking along the corridor of her studio was Hebe. She was as hell trying to fix all the mess that all of a sudden happened yesterday. Yes, she didn’t have a clue about it, so she just went with the flow before the studio opens and a flow of customers come coming in. Unfortunately, right at the corner of her right eye, she saw a very familiar figure standing right in front of her studio, looking at the advertisements and tarpaulin that said everything about Hebe’s shops promos and something of the sort.

Before she went out of the studio, she heaved out a deep sigh and gritted her teeth, trying to prevent herself from trying to scold Calvin again. Yes, it was Calvin and she’s about to confront him yet again.

The moment she stepped out of the studio, Calvin was dumbstruck. It took them a minute to process whatever destiny or faith they have in store that they’d have to meet every week and every day. Before anything could happen, Calvin proposed to take her to a café and so she agreed and their talk went well.

--

On the other hand, Ella who didn’t have a clue about Hebe knowing Calvin and vice versa sat still on the sofa, switching channels continuously as she munched on her junk food. Chun’s been encouraging her to stay away from those kinds of foods, but she just couldn’t resist it, she thinks that it’s what she wants and so he wasn’t able to do anything about it. Today, Chun went back to work in his father’s company, so Ella had no one to be with even if she wanted as hell to be with Chun 24/7. She knows that he needs to earn a living for them, anyway, so it’s no use making a fuss of making him stay when it’s for their own good as well as to why he’s making a living.

--

Going back to the studio, Ella had to all of a sudden flash right on Hebe’s mind. Hebe’s realized that Ella even has no clue about this whole knowing Calvin thing. She kind of wondered whether they were related, but she didn’t think too much for she thought that it’s kind of impossible…

It all happened two and a half years ago, the years just after Ella broke up with Chun before. That year, that particular day in that year, Calvin was also already forsaken by the Chen’s because of being gay, so, really, he really felt forsaken and left all alone in the open so he went to the bar.

That’s where he met Hebe and pretended that he just broke up with a girlfriend that’s why he was acting that way. At that time, Hebe also had some personal problems and had to sulk in beer just to chase all the troubles away. Having the tendency to go to sleep when drunk as well, they did some miracle.

The next day was the worst day ever for Hebe. As she woke up from the deep slumber and tiredness yesterday, she saw a male all-clothed who just went out from the bathroom. That was the time that she also found out that she did some unforgivable mistake and lost her ity to someone who’s a complete stranger to her. She thought that he’s supposed to take responsibility of whatever that happened between them, but he told her he’s gay and he couldn’t do anything about it. Hebe, having no clue of what happened the night before got real mad and cursed gays and wished them every bad luck that could happen in the world after that day. Well, it was a good thing that she didn’t get pregnant.

When remembering that, she would often cram and end up her day in worst situations. She didn’t have the soul of telling Ella, her best friend, for she thought that it’s the dirtiest thing she’s done and well, she wouldn’t want to recall it and then Calvin had to appear right in the bad timing of scene. The event itself is too much for her to take, what more if her best friend’s to find out? She doesn’t even know that Calvin’s Ella’s brother, so she thought that she didn’t have anything to do with him anyway, so it wasn’t that important. Plus, that was the second and a half year Ella broke up with Chun and she knew too well that she would never get over him until Chun stepped in Ella’s life again now.

--

A couple of weeks later…

Ella’s been getting heavier that she couldn’t even manage to push and lift herself up when she’s just got up from bed. She’s guessed that their baby must be very healthy that’s why she’s been acting like that. It was her third month carrying a burden inside of her, but she’s happy because this event has got Chun and her to be much closer yet again—just like how it was before.

Today was a weekend and she knew that Chun would have to be with her for the whole day. And just as she insists that she wanted to shop for some grocery, he did agree and then off did they go to the supermarket.

As they stepped out of the car, Ella hooked her arms with Chun’s. It was one out of a hundred times where in Ella would wear a skirt just because she was pregnant and she didn’t want it to be that obvious. Right at that time, she was happy. She was happy not just because of their love, but the previous blissful happenings occurring to her every other day.

They first dropped by the baby section, where in Ella took her time browsing through the mittens and the cribs for their soon-to-be baby. Chun was happy seeing her happy, he didn’t need any other just to be.

And then, shopped for their weekly necessities.

.
.
.

The next event to happen is tragic…

Chun, who didn’t seem to take note of Ella’s absence pushed and pulled the cart. It was at that time that a lot… Yes, a lot of people swarmed the whole supermarket because of some commotion and he didn’t really mind. Once, twice, and the thrice, when he looked back, did he realize that Ella’s missing from his side. He thought at first that she was just browsing through some products that she might want to buy, so he was then calm.

Realizing that she was then missing, he aggressively pushed the cart to every section of the grocery store.

On the other hand, Ella, who was beginning to become dizzy every minute people swarmed in the supermarket, tried to stable her balance. She figured that she was missing and Chun wasn’t beside her anymore, causing her to panic. She didn’t even have her cell phone and this supermarket is hell humongous for her to even walk every section and counter just to find him.

She blamed herself for being so persistent in browsing and searching every minuscule object in this supermarket. And before she fell down, the last image she saw was Chun, running toward her…

“Chun,” she whispered for the last time and her mind went blank.