39 | promise

50 Things I Don't Know About "K"
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What?!"

"Yeah, you heard me right." Minjeong averted her gaze, "Allow me to spar with someone from the team."

The group of people who circled around the girl along with coach Jay was left standing in shock and silence. Everyone who was a part of the Kendo team knew the girl's achievements as well as how she rarely played the sport.

For some goddamn reason, something inside Minjeong's mind awoken and urged her to come to the campus field to ask the coach in desire of wanting to spar with a player. The group of players couldn't believe what they heard, it was so uncommon.

Despite the silence, Jeno was bold enough to walk inside the circle and cheer as if he had won something. He casually hooked his arm around the girl and patted her shoulder.

"Woohoo! Minjeongie's back!"

Slightly annoyed by the sudden contact, Minjeong gazed down at the grass and grunted. "Distance, Jeno... I'm not back or anything, I'm just going to see if I still had that spark," she mumbled.

"Oops."

Jeno created distance and subtly bowed his head apologetically. Then out of nowhere, the people who gathered around began to cheer loudly. Confused by this, Minjeong looked around and immediately saw Win standing within the circle.

"I'll take you on," he smiled. "How about a bet?"

Minjeong stared at the taller expressionless, "Bet, huh?"

"Um, sorry to bother but... Sicheng, I don't think that's a good idea." Jeno nudged the guy, "Have you seen her kick my ?"

Win maintained his smile, "I think I have a chance, I've seen her swings. Minjeong's a bit rusty now."

Interested in Win's skills and experience Minjeong returned the smile with a nod. That's when the cheers got louder and pulled attention from the passersby near the field. Of course, the girl hated this though shook that thought away and focused on what was in front of her.

Jay smiled at the commotion and grabbed an extra wooden sword that was positioned against a tree. He patted Minjeong's back and gave it to her with nostalgic eyes akin to a proud father.

Minjeong couldn't even remember the last time she heard cheers from the people she was acquainted with, particularly, this Kendo team. She could see some familiar faces yet never recalled their names, simply because she left the sport a long time ago.

And before she even realized what was going on within her sight, she was already positioned in the very middle of the field with a good amount of people watching by the sidelines.

The girl subconsciously swallowed her spit and succumbed to the feeling of anxiety, she hated the crowd. Even though she was in her fighting stance, it looked tense and unstable.

Surely, as her opponent, Win noticed Minjeong's slightly trembling hands. So he approached the girl and softly patted her shoulder, whispering not to mind the people and focus on kicking his .

"If I win, you have to go on a date with me," he said with a cheeky smile. "I'm aware of how good you are, so you'll totally win right? If not then... I'll be lucky as hell!"

Minjeong stared at the taller in disbelief, eventually releasing a small peal of laughter. The match hasn't even started yet the crowd's beginning to pile up which made the girl feel a bit more uneasy.

Just like what her opponent said, she went along, closed her eyes for a moment to calm her mind, gradually opening them, then giving the taller a thumbs up.

Win smiled at the gesture and patted the girl's shoulder once more before walking back to his position. Minjeong then breathed out a long sigh as she gripped onto the wooden sword firmly, softening her stance and properly fixing her feet' placements.

It's been a while since she felt this pressure, so it felt uncomfortable and frustrating.

She hoped that trigger of hers won't turn on and ruin this moment. Cause if so, she thinks she won't be able to go back to this sport for eternity— there was still a tiny bit of hatred thoughts relating to it in her memories.

And that certain promise... it suddenly popped up. Not in a bad way, but strangely a good way.

While deep in thought, Minjeong unconsciously explored her eyes around the crowd and met eyes with a particular man.

No doubt, it was Tae.

The man noticed the girl's gaze from afar and waved his hand with a smile on his face. Minjeong wasn't sure, but she could've sworn the man mouthed something relating to the words; It'll be okay.

Somehow, it gave her comfort and determination as a pound of memories flashed before her eyes.

"Well, there's nothing to be worried of anyway right?"
"Our Minjeongie will most certainly win that match!"

"The calmer the better... unlike Tae over here."

"Y-Yah!"

Minjeong smiled at the thought and eyed her opponent, just in time where the coach walked in between the two to start the match.

The very moment Jay motioned his hand to begin, silence engulfed the girl's ears as she dismissed the noise in her surroundings and merely focused on her opponent.

Minjeong was expressionless though her heart was beating unusually fast, probably due to the nervousness. She calmly took a step and observed Win's movements.

Win noticed her careful eyes and smirked, "How about we change something? You familiar with kenjutsu?"

Minjeong raised a brow, "What?"

The taller took a step closer and quickly swung his sword toward the girl's hip which was instantly repelled against by the latter's sword.

It produced a loud clashing sound that caught the attention of many, gathering cheers loud enough to be heard from the nearby buildings.

*THUD*

"H-Hey!" Minjeong glanced at the coach, "Coach! Is this even allowed?!"

"It's kind of similar, you two deal with it yourselves. Whoever gets hit first, wins."

Directing her eyes to look a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter