Past

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I don’t like this.” The king said as we stopped by the witches hut.

I had to agree, something felt so eerie here, as if we were being watched by hundreds of eyes.

When the king reached for my hand, I let him take it, I didn’t act it, but I was on edge too.

“Let’s get this over with.” I say and pull the king after me, I remember how scared he was in the cave. I held back a laugh as I look back and see him look as if he was scared to death, poor thing was a real scaredy-cat.

I lift my hand to knock, but before my knuckles could touch the fragile looking wood, the door swings open.

“!” The king let out as he grabbed onto my shoulders.

“Come in.” A woman’s voice called out through the smoke that came barreling out of the open door. “I’ve been expecting you.”

Not creepy at all…

I walk in despite the fact that I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up, this woman was our last hope.

“Ms. Won, I’m Seori-“

“I know who you are. Come and sit.” She cut me off while waving her wrinkled hand toward a small table with three chairs set around it.

I pull the chair away and eye the rat that was sitting on the table, it’s black little eyes seemed to be looking into my soul.

“He won’t hurt you, he just likes meeting new people.” Ms. Won said making my eyes go up to meet hers.

I say nothing as I sit down and give a small side glance to the rat before looking back to meet her eyes that were the same black color of the rats.

Jake took the seat next to me, scooting it closer so he could grab my hand under the table, I could feel his hand shaking from nerves.

“Give me your hands.” She commands as soon as she sat down, her raspy voice did not match her appearance. Her voice was strong and rough, where’s her face was soft and wrinkled from age. Her eyes though told me there was much more to this woman then her off voice and her soft face.

I ease my hand over the top of the table and rest it gently into her waiting one. The way she gripped my hand made me want to jerk at her sudden strength, but I managed to stay still. It took the young king a moment to do the same, I could tell by how he squeezed mine that he was just as shocked by the lady’s strength as me.

She closed her eyes and started to hum, the sound tickled at my ears and made my nose feel weird. It was so low and did not sound like it should be coming from a human. Her grip on my hand grew stronger as her humming started to get louder, soon she was mumbling in a language I could not recognize.

I meet Jake’s eyes for a moment, giving him a small nod.

When her eyes snap open I bite my lip to hold back a gasp, her eyes were now a bright yellow, the pupils had turned into slits like a reptiles.

Is that why she’s called a dragon witch?

“You seek the healing stone, yes?”

This time I don’t hold back my reaction as my eyes widen, her voice was now a low growl that sounded animalistic.

“Y-Yes.” I couldn’t help but stutter as I felt what must be her power slowly working it’s way up my hand and arm. It was a mix of hot and cold that ran on my veins from where she was gripping my hand, I wanted to pull away as it started to hurt, but my arm would not budge.

“You’ve been looking in all the wrong places.” She said as our eyes lock, for a second I felt my heart stop, then it was racing as if I was running for my life.

It’s beating against my ribs was the only thing I could focus on as my vision started to sway, her yellow eyes drawing me in until there was nothing but those two yellow spots.

*~*

“She’s dying, there has to be something we can do.”

My eyes snap from one place to the other as I realize I was back in my old home, somewhere I had not seen in years.

“There maybe something we can do.”

My eyes land on the person that had just spoke. “Mother.”

I felt my eyes weld up with tears as I walk over to her fragile body, sweat was thick on her thin face as she leaned back in her bed. I reach out to touch her face only for it to pass through her as if she was made of air.

“What? What can we do?”

My

Please log in to read the full chapter