Support

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

Things in the cave went quite once more as we walked for what must be another mile before anything else happens. Once again the sound of the small creatures fills the air making the hair on my arms stand since I had no idea what they were. 

"Do you think it's some kind of bat?" I whisper as the sound was becoming louder.

"I don't think so." Jay said back his eyes flickering from the roof to the path ahead. 

"I just hope it doesn't like humans." 

"I'm sure if it does, it won't eat ones that smell so bad... So you're safe." 

I smack his arm out of instinct from his insult, I couldn't help that I sweat when I'm scared for my life, even if the cave was cold, my body was hot from how tense my muscles have been for the past hour or so. 

"Ow." He said a little to late after I had slapped him. 

"I may smell nasty, but I'm sure you'll taste worse. All the that comes out of your mouth has to have a source inside." 

He opens his mouth to respond but I cut him off quickly with a hand to his mouth when something catches my eye. 

He throws my hand down and is about to question me when I put a finger to my lips and then point in front of us. I see him take a small step back from the corner of my eye and I don't blame him. 

"Is that a dragon?" He asked so quietly I almost didn't catch it. 

"I don't know." 

Whatever it was looked like a rock with water running down over it giving it an almost silver color, but the only thing was, rocks don't move. Whatever it was, was moving slowly down the tunnel, its feet not making a sound, which should be impossible for something so big. It was at least as tall as Jay and almost brushed the sides of the tunnel, but still the only sound that could be heard was the sound of hundreds of tiny claws on rock. 

I inch closer only for Jay to grab the back of my shirt and give me a look asking if I was really stupid enough to get closer. 

"We have no choice." We really didn't, stay here and wait for it to leave- if it did. Or, find out what it is with a small chance of dying. "We need to keep going." I add as he didn't let me go at first. 

When he finally released my shirt I rest my hand on the the hilt of my sword as my other holds the lamp up to try and get a better look at whatever the thing was. 

When I was a few feet away I felt my skin crawl, its skin seemed to be moving as if it had bugs under what looked like scales. It was still to hard to see what it was, I didn't see a tail, head, or legs. It just looked like a big glob of moving scales. I a breath in as I take a few more steps closer.

"Oh." I stand straight as I realize what it was. 

"'Oh'? Oh, what?" Jay asked sounding a little frantic from behind me. 

I say nothing much to his dismay and walk over to the giant rock looking thing. The light of the lamp making the small creatures scurry away as fast as they could. It was a bunch of tiny little dragons all piled together, I had no idea why they were in a big pile unless, they had all just huddled together trying to get away from the light, or maybe it was just something this type of dragon did. 

"It's just a bunch of small dragons." I finally say to Jay who was so far away the light hardly reached him. 

"Small dragons?" He asked as he walked a bit closer now. 

"Yeah, they're all just huddled together. They don't like the light, so if we hold it in front of us as we pass by they shouldn't bother us." I turn to face him and wasn't surprised to see his eyes locked on the mass of tiny dragons. "They should be harmless, I believe they're a type of fae dragon... just not sure what kind exactly." 

This was one of the meany types of dragons I had discovered while I was tucked away in the library, from what the book said they should be harmless, unless they were the rare flesh eating kind. Jay didn't need to know the last part just yet.

"Should be?" He asked as his slightly widened eyes meet mine. 

"Watch," I pull the lamp closer to the dragons and they try to scurry away quickly. "The light bothers them, we'll be fine." 

He says nothing as he inches closer and all but steps between me and the cave wal

Please log in to read the full chapter