Crap

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

When we crossed the border into Kiji everyone was on high alert. We shouldn't have any trouble, but we all couldn't help but keep looking over our shoulders. My hand goes to the helt of my sword on instinct, if I thought the kings shoulders were tensed yesterday, I'm sure mine were even more so now.

I knew Max could sense my unease as well, he kept flicking his ears back and forth and tossing his head a little here and there. I reach down and pat his neck. "It's okay boy."

I roll my shoulders to try and ease the tension, I needed a clear head just in case something happened. No matter how hard I try I couldn't get my mind completely clear. The king kept popping up in my mind, the way he was acting last night, the way he kept watching me this morning... what was going on? His behavior was going to drive me crazy. No, my hearts behavior was going to drive me crazy.

Whenever our eyes met or if he got to close my heart felt funny. Stupid thing needed to get its self straight.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I lie easily to Sunghoon as he pulled his horse next to Max.

He gave me a look that said he didn't believe it, but he had no real proof I was lying.

"Ni-ki said there's a town about another hour ride ahead, we agreed to ride through and camp on the outer side of the town."

"I think it's better if we don't ride through town, we should ride around it. We don't want someone seeing us as we go through, they will know we'll be stopping soon after to camp and they may follow us."

"That's true." Sunghoon agreed. He trotted ahead and spoke with the others before slowing down and coming back to my side. "They agreed that your plan would be better."

So that led us to ride in the dark for another two and half hours. Finally we got camp set for the night, leaving out the fire for tonight, the less we do to bring attention to us the better.

~~

We get up just as the sun was chasing away the chilly night air, packing camp just as fast as we had set up the night before.

"Thank you." I accept the apple from Heeseung.

It would be dusk as we reach the location of the fire stone, but we would find it in the dark if we could.

That day as we rode closer and closer to the location of the stone I realized the towns were getting closer and closer.

"We're riding close to the castle aren't we?" I ask Ni-ki as we pass through another town, this one bustling with people. I tilt my head down to avoid the eyes that were following us.

"It's the fastest route."

I nod in understanding, no matter the way we went it would be risky.

I bring my head up and scan the people that lined the streets. I didn't see any face I had ever seen before, but the towns guards were watching us closely.

"The quicker we get out of here, the better." Jungwon said as he too noticed the guards watching us.

It probably was an odd sight, five people riding through town. It would set any good guards on edge, they had no idea if we could be coming through to cause trouble, we were close to the outer ring of the castle walls.

I click my tongue to make Max pick his speed up just a little, I didn't want to act as if I was on edge, but we needed to get back into the woods and away from these towns.

I take a deep breath in when the houses and people were finally long gone from view.

"We need to stay on high alert." Jungwon spoke up as we all stop soon after to let the horses rest and drink, if we needed to run they needed to be in good shape.

"I'm going to loop back a little to see if we were followed." I offer as Max had his fill of water.

"I'll come with." Ni-ki offered as his horse was done as well.

I give him a nod as we mount and trot off the way we had just came.

"I think on the way back we should take the longer way around."

"If we stay gone to long though Jake may come after us."

I sigh knowing he was right, just because the king agreed to stay back doesn't mean he'll sit there and wait for us to long if we didn't show up around the estimated time frame we had came up with.

"We just have to be careful after we get the stone, we can't lose any of them."

We tu

Please log in to read the full chapter