No explanation

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

Back at the inn I had used the water stone to heal my back while Sunghoon had one of the inn maids run me a bath. Even as I sat in bed my hands still shook for some reason even though I felt calm, maybe not completely calm, but calm enough for my hands to have stopped their annoying shaking by now.

“Maybe you just need some food.” Sunghoon suggested as he sat in the chair across the room from my bed.

“Maybe.” I agree as I fold my hands together to try and calm their shaking.

Sunghoon stood and said he would be back with something for me to eat, I just nod my head in acknowledgment before he walked out the door.

The king and the rest of his guard had still not returned yet, that in itself was worrisome. Ezra was a sly man, there was no telling what he would say or do.

What if he convinces the king to bring you back?

The irrational voice in my head commented. There was no way the king would let that happen right now, they needed me, I reminded myself.

What about after they are done with you?

The king said I could leave, no strings attached as long as the kingdom was healed.

My thoughts were cut off as Sunghoon came back with some pork, vegetables, a bread roll, and a cup of tea. He also brought a plate for himself.

“Thank you.” I mumble as I take my plate and cup with still shaking hands. I really hoped they would stop shaking after I had some food in my system, maybe using the stone after the incident had drained me.

Just as I pull my cup to my mouth, the door to my room gets thrown open, causing it to bounce off the wall a bit as it shook from the force.

I looked down at the bit of water I had spilt on my plate then back up to the fuming king.

“Prefect timing.” I comment as I reach over for a rag to try and dab the water off of my plate.

“Sunghoon, I need a word with her alone.” The king said as his eyes stayed locked on me.

The medic sent me a look before he stood up and slowly left the room. I set my food to the side, getting ready for a fight.

“Care to explain what happened?” Jake asked as soon as the door clicked shut.

I take a deep breath and decide there was no need in lying to him, he had caught me getting beat in public.

I tell him about me knowing Elise, but not how I had met her exactly and that she needed my help with a little girl that was taken from her family, leaving out many details as to why I did it other then me being friends with Elise.

“So, you want to lecture us about not taking this mission seriously, but you want to go and almost get yourself killed?” Jake asked as he still stood in the same spot with his arms crossed. “Do you know how much it cost me to pay off that girls debt? As well as paying him for letting you go after you committed a crime?”

I stood even though I felt shaky, I knew I had messed up, but if I had to do it again I would.

“I’m sorry, for everything that has happened, but it was something I had to do.” I bow for a moment to show I meant what I was saying.

“Something you had to do?” He stood straight and let his arms fall to his side. “Just because a friend asked you to help doesn’t mean you had to go the route you did, you could have asked me to help.”

It honestly hadn’t crossed my mind to ask the king for help, I had figured I would be the only one able to help that girl…

“Would you have really helped?” I ask feeling like he was just saying it to make me feel more like an idiot.

“If it meant enough for you to risk your life, yes, I would have helped.”

I open my mouth only to close it again, I didn’t know what to say. Did he really mean what he was saying? Was he just trying to make me trust him? All of this was to confusing right now and the fact that my hands were still shaking was to much.

“Can I eat my food?” I ask after a moment of silence.

He looked from me to the plate of food and back. He sends me a nod before he turns to the door.

Please log in to read the full chapter