Elise

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

What the king was having us do was beyond ignorant. He wanted to rest at a town after what had happened last time we did that.

This town was much smaller compared to Ahe, but this town was worse. This town was named Drachall, I knew it well enough from when I had visited many years ago.

My eyes trail to the left side of the main path as we look for an inn to stay at once more, a two story house with chipped white paint and dull red shutters came into view, women of all ages lounged around the front porch, some talking to men others huddled together and whispered amongst themselves.

Memories threatened to come to surface as I caught the eye of one of the girls, her bright red hair was shorter then I remember from all those years back, her eyes looked dull even from this distance. I remember her as a girl that had so much fight in her, whose eyes shone like stars no matter how hard the world tried to break her…

“Watch it!”

I was so lost in thought while looking at the girl that I had ran into someone.

I glare at the man even though it was my fault, the sight of the house putting me in a foul mood.

I turn back to the others and see that the king was watching me. One thing the king did that was somewhat smart, he had his men take their royal coats off, making it harder for people to know who we are. So it was still odd to see him dressed in casual clothes, a simple black button up shirt that fit him loosely, and black matching trousers.

I raise a brow as he looked from me to house and then back, not wanting him to think to much I put pressure on Max’s lead so he would step to the right, letting us pass on the other side of the kings horse.

~

I watch as girls from the house on the main road prance into the inn, I was sure they found a lot of business here. Watching them made my stomach twist and burn, not with disgust, but pity and guilt.

“Wait, did you just say we have to share rooms?” I snap my focus back to the conversation when that piece of information caught my attention.

Jungwon nods his head as he chews his potato’s he had just put in his mouth. “The owner said he only had limited rooms.”

This inn was much smaller then the one in Ahe, it was only two stories, the top floor was used as the owners home, leaving the bottom one for the dining area, kitchen, and rooms.

Now I felt irritated, I had started getting used to being able to sleep alone once more, even though we never really got much sleep with having to keep our guards up.

I stir my food around as I wait for them to assign rooms, I really didn’t want to put my opinion in as long as I wasn’t paired with the king or Jay.

“How about we play, rock, paper, scissors?” The king suggested with a smile.

“Okay, what?” I look from the king to Heeseung for an explanation.

“You really don’t know what that is?” Ni-ki asked with a small laugh, but his small smile faded as he realized I was serious. “Oh, wow.”

Heeseung gave a laugh as well before he jumped into explaining the game.

“Got it?” He asked after he explained the simple game to me.

“Yeah.” I nod as hold my hand out, ready for the game to start.

In the end I was paired with, Ni-ki, Sunoo, and Heeseung. I was just glad the king was having to pair with, Jay, Jungwon, and one of the lower guards. So that left Sunghoon with the other lower ranking guard.

“I think I’m going to bed early.” I say as I push my almost full plate away from me. The sound of the girls forced laughter making me lose my appetite.

A few of the guards look from my plate to me with a questioning look, I shake my head while I stand up, I didn’t want anyone to ask questions.

“Sunoo, you can have the rest if you want it.” I shoot over my shoulder as I head for the back of the inn where the rooms were.

I knew I was going to be in room 22 with the others, so I didn’t need anyone to show me where to go.

Just as I round the corner I feel someone grab me. I instantly grab their hand on my shoulder and twist it, shoving them face first into the wall.

“Elise?” I step back letting the girls arm go. “Why did you sneak up on me?”

The red haired girl turns and rubs her wrist from where I had twisted it. “I wasn’t sure it was you, it’s been so long.”

“I still don’t see why you would sneak up on me, what if I wasn’t who you were looking for?”

She shrugs as she looks

Please log in to read the full chapter