Changing

Rough
Please log in to read the full chapter

I could tell Jake was becoming more tense as we rode closer to the border, his shoulders were drawn up and his hands were fisted tightly around his horses reigns. Even his horse could sense the tension in its rider. I watched as the horses ears flicked back and forth as if worried that they were riding into danger.

The town that we planned to split up came into view hours later, by then everyone had fallen silent, no one really liking the idea of splitting up. My eyes flicker over all of the guard and the king, no one said a thing but I could see the tension in all their shoulders, Jake’s being the most tense.

We dismount as it was night now and we all would stay here before most of us left to go after the stone.

I take my time as usual to get Max unsaddled and brushed down, tonight I wanted to take longer to avoid being asked to join them all for a drink. I didn’t mind a drink here and there, but my stomach was tying into knots for some reason, as if it could sense something was going to happen and it wouldn’t be good.

I roll my shoulders a few times as I put the brushes that I was using away, giving Max one more pat on the neck before I head to the inn at an steady pace. I was so ready to fall face first into a nice soft bed.

“Seori, can I talk with you?”

I held back a big sigh as I was stopped as soon as I turned to head down the hall to the rooms. “What is it?” I turn to face Jake.

“Can we talk in my room?” He asked as he walked past me down the hall.

I wrinkled my nose a little as I smelt the scent of alcohol linger after he passed by. I say nothing as I follow him to the door right across from my room, I bow my head a little as I stepped past him as he held the door open for me. Closing it shut before he kicked his shoes off and sat down heavily on his bed, he let out a big sigh as he ran a hand over his face.

“I know we’ve never really been on good ground, but I need to ask you to please watch over my men as you go into Kiji.”

My eyes widen in shock, never would I have thought the king would think I was capable of taking care of his guard.

“You must think highly of my skills, or you just don’t care if I give my life for your men.”

He shot up to his feet, the look on his face was one as if I had just slapped him. “In no way am I im

Please log in to read the full chapter