Edmonton Trip

Dating App Match
Please log in to read the full chapter

Heath's POV:

I flew to Edmonton right when I decided to send him the message, Carrie had to be left in Korea for her group's recording. Which was alright, I needed to go and do this for my Father. I learned from his siblings that they were aware but was keeping their distance because they didn't approve that my Father married his kids' previous teacher. His second family, the one he spent eighteen years building in Edmonton and nourishing them have already broken apart and his two sons weren't in speaking terms with him. I decided to come see him and maybe have a closure talk with him. I've had so many monsters growing up. Cradled within me and fears I long held within me. Minjoo, was the catalyst of changes within me. This was the last step to bring closure to my past, so I had to halt everything for him. Even that indecisive customer would have to wait now. My Father comes first. Eomma was worried for him and we did talk about it together with Kyeongie. It was decided that we should all come and at least spend time with him. Seventy Percent chance to heal from Stage 4 Lung Cancer seemed a longshot. Though the odds are high, I was aware there was still the possibility of his treatments not working. I left after making sure that my team of five employees can hold up on their own. I went straight to the Airport after shooting the last project I had. Minjoo was the one who packed my bag for this flight. She reminded me that there was cookies that she made for Appa, because Appa liked to eat Chocolate Chip cookies, which was passed down to me. I also told her a tender memory I had of Appa back in the days we were a family and at peace. We would spend time taking a Photo walk and then we would usually start after splitting a pack of Lotte Chic Choc Chocolate Chip Cookies. Appa used to smile a lot back in the day, his soft brown eyes were beautiful and alluring. Like a Moon Crescent if you look at him, he was a very happy man prior to the accident. Now his eyes were always full of agony and pain. As if he was always unsure of himself and how he would interact with me. As if he was always cautious, the once confident man, became weak and unsure. I've seen him several times to compare what became of him. I used to remember him as someone who was so sure of himself and his eyes bore confidence. Might be at a photographer's view or perhaps Appa was really a charming guy and all charming guys fall from grace.

I landed at Edmonton at around ten in the morning. I've been to his house at Edmonton so I know my way around town. I often visited him when my schedule permitted it but not in the last six years since I was promoted as Cover Photographer and eventually establishing Studio MongMin. Minjoo was really a sweet and caring woman. Beloved by both sides of my family, she became close to Eomma's siblings and she was pampered by my two aunts from Eomma's side. Like they're besties who support each other type of love. My Aunts were the best Aunts I could ever hope for and they have extended the same love to my partner Minjoo. I got myself a cup of hot tea before getting out of the airport and to the taxi stand. I rode the taxi, tea cup in hand and my luggage loaded to the trunk of the cab. I gave him the address to Appa's house. The cab driver nods his head and drove off. The cab ride was silent until the driver spoke to me, bringing me out of my reverie.

"Off to see someone?" He asked me.

"Yeah, off to my Father's house." I replied to him smiling.

"Have a great time with your Father." He smiled and continued to drive.

Soon, I arrived at my Father's front lawn. The modest house with a lawn and his car nowhere in sight. It broke my heart to see how his life had gone for the worst. He love that car and was proud he was able to buy that car. He took great pride with his Corvette, he drove me around Edmonton in that car. I rang the doorbell and a new woman who looks like a Korean answered the door.

"Yes, how may I help you?" She said smiling.

She looks malnourished but her smile was infectious. She looks like she's forty something.

"I'm here for my Dad, Kenny Kang." I replied to her.

"Oh! You must be Hyewon?! Come in, it's nice to finally meet you." She replied and cracked the door wide open.

"You must be his new wife?" I asked.

"Yes, my name is Jinri Cho, it's Jinri Kang now." She replied and blushed.

The woman pleasantly replied. She seemed to be so much in love with Appa and honestly he deserves the joy of having someone as stable as she. 

"Hello, Auntie Jinri, my name is Kang Hyewon, Eldest child of Kang Kyeong-soo." I replied to her. 

"Neh, wait here, I'll call him for you, please have a seat." She replied smiling at me. 

She disappears in one of the rooms, they have a Cottage style house. The backyard had flowery plants, I've seen him tend to the plants one summer when I dropped by here, he was still with his ex second wife. Eomma also told me that he liked Nature and Plants, he has an extensive knowledge on flowering plants. He had a green thumb that they call it, every dying plant he took care was magically resuscitated back to life and was basically kept that way. He ought to be a Florist, he once told me but his parents wanted him to lead a good life and so he was made to choose either Law, Medicine or Business. He chose the least challenging and boring, Business Administration Major in Financial Management. He used to work as a Financial Investor for one of Korea's biggest Investment company, within a year of starting in the company, he was promoted as a Financial Investor Manager, he knew where to invest money, he taught me how to invest in Market Bonds and Market Shares, until I got into Cryptocurrency.  The old house had a certain charm to it, grateful that Appa at least had his own place. I waited for him to shuffle out of his room and into the living area. He stood before me and a warm smile crosses his face. He was

Please log in to read the full chapter