Cover Shoot: Angels Vs. Demons

Dating App Match
Please log in to read the full chapter

Carrie's POV:

It was the morning and we've gotten down from our room pretty early to catch some breakfast with my kids. All ten were already here, Gaeul was nowhere to be found, but I couldn't care any less. I sat at the table, waiting for my kids to go back. I was having my black americano coffee, before I decided to go and get breakfast. I was just scrolling over my phone and catching up with my Industry friends. Nothing seemed to amaze me anymore, everyone of my friends in the industry had nothing going on, some were on hiatus and some weren't releasing new music. It was only us HypeGirls who recently concluded our Korean Comeback and now had a World Tour looming ahead of us. We were supposed to spend two weeks with Danielle's Father side, so we expect to tour the rest of Australia in our down time before heading to our world tour, it was nice being in Australia for the rest of the weeks before heading onto our World Tour. It gives us some time to relax and get ready for the tour. Squeezed into some family bonding with Danielle's Father side. They were nice to everyone and welcomed us warmly.

We spoke fondly of how good Danielle was for our teams both NewGenes and HypeGirls, she joined that survival program with me, we were the duo that represented SaTzu and Co. Entertainment, along with other Korean and Japanese Trainees. They were nine of us, patterned after Twice, the old group that Sana Okaasan and Tzuyu Otosan belonged to, but we were given only three years before we concluded our activities and went back to our own companies. Thus the formation of our permanent group called HypeGirls, Sana Okaasan added to our team Nakamura Kazuha and Naoi Rei who was from the original NewGenes temporary group from PD58, Jang Wonyoung, Ahn Yujin, Kim Minji, Lee Hyein, Pham Hanni and Lee Gaeul were the last few to be added.

Wonyoung, Yujin, Minji, Hyein and Hanni were new trainees, they all came in after we've joined Produce58, since we spent most of our time on a separate dorm, practice room and recording room, we never had the chance to meet everyone until after our promotions with NewGenes ended, Kazuha and Rei went on a radio silence after we dropped them off to the airport, then announcing their graduation with HKT58 and simultaneously deciding to hold their graduation together. Then after, they were spotted returning here, then another radio silence for a year leading up to our debut where we were introduced as HypeGirls in a teaser video.

Haerin and Hyein was already training with us prior to us joining Produce58. But since both were not allowed by their parents to live in the dorms, they only went during after school, weekends and practiced the usual Twice and RVCupcake songs, Hyein abd Haerin were part of my original debuting team. By the time we got back to SZC Training, they were the only two left. The others didn't make the cut, some have given up on their dreams of debuting and have switched focus to other things. Danielle and I got to work with Sana Okaasan for our music, we were treated by Sana Okaasan like we were her pride and joy. The songs she composed for HypeGirls were totally Sana Okaasan's Japanese blood running through the melodies and beats, a thing that Danielle absolutely loved, it inspired her to write half of the lyrics for our debut song, Attention, She was also involved in writing lyrics for Hype Boy, Cookie and the rest of our music.

Sana Okaasan is an only child, she grew up in a happy family environment. Probably the richest Twice member too, she had the most happy persona among her members. But despite all her persona, the latter years, she exhibited a more mellow side to her. Working with her was like the greatest honor HypeGirls could have gotten ever. Because her attention to details fitted our direction perfectly. We wanted to do a 90's concept, we even had a secret channel where videos of us dancing to our next releases were there for everyone to discover, a few HypeGirls fan knew about the channel, bolstering a closer connection with us. All the secret videos were shot in 90's style home video. Like a sort of diary of the members' life pre-debut.

It discusses our origin story from the time we were preparing for debut to now. It documented every secret HypeGirls had. We had the most extensive video library to ever come out to the public, but I wasn't sure if anyone ever knew about it. The way our releases were was we had either four or two other Music Videos for one song. It all started with Hype Boy, the second single we released, some two years ago. Because we wanted to show our stories, our truest selves. It was initially tiring to shoot a music video with recurring images and scenes but watching our end results for our videos, I love how each HypeGirls Video showed multiple perspective of each member, we did this to paint our deepest colors, our lore started as a bunch of Highschool kids who grew up dreaming of becoming a star, the additional secret videos showed how each member came with the group, how each video released over the last three years since debut followed a specific back story. The secret videos were more of a testament to us, how we are and how we naturally vibed together.

We did vibe together, with the exemption of Gaeul who was trying hard to be my lover. I've gotten feedback from Sana Okaasan and she told me that they will address the issue soon with Gaeul, I found out from Kazuha that Gaeul was on an online meeting with Tzu Otosan and Sana Okaasan. That was the last message she sent me, after that there was no other reply including Tzu Otosan. Least for now I already told them the truth about the state of my team. I can not be working with someone and mixing my personal life with my work life. My team is like my kids, I was responsible for them no matter how chaotic they are and it has been engrained to me to only love them like my kids. I already told Gaeul several times now that she wasn't someone I would love. I can't stress enough how I feel about the team, if anyone would hit on me from the team, I would surely turn them down too. It wasn't just because it was Gaeul, it was entirely because I can't love someone from the team, I can't be with my kids even if it was Yujin, Wonyoung or Danielle, they will always be my kids.

Danielle and Haerin were first to come back to the table. They both got a heap of eggs two ways, scrambled and sunny side up, they also got toasts, bacon, hash, sausages and some beans. They sat on my left side of the table as I was occupying the head of the table. Then Heath came to our table and greeted me.

"Good morning Carrie, would you like to get breakfast?" She asked me.

"I was about to get breakfast. Thank you for asking Heath." I replied to her and smiled.

Then three other ladies found her and they all approached the table and bowed to us reverently.

"Kwangbae Hyung, let's go get breakfast." the Duck looking lady said to Heath.

"I'm about to get breakfast Yasmine." Heath replied and paused.

"Let me introduce you guys. This is Choi Yasmine, Choi Yena in Romaji, Star Fashion Editor of P!nk Magazine and this is Honda Harper or Honda Hitomi in Japanese, Style and Fashion Writer at P!nk Magazine and Yabuki Nicole or Yabuki Nako in Japanese, Set Design Manager at P!nk Magazine. They will be helping me for our shoot later." She introduced everyone.

I bowed back to them and reached out my hand for a handshake. Yasmine the duck looking editor shook my hand. A little tight and shaky, but I smiled at her, when she realizes that she was holding my hand tight, she scrambles to let my hand go and smiled apologetically at me.

"Mianhe, Carrie, I... I didn't meant to squeeze the life out of your hand. I'm a fan of yours." Yasmine quickly apologized to me.

"It's cool, Yasmine. Please take care of us on set." I replied to her bowing.

"Good morning, Carrie." Both Japanese women chorused.

"Hi, Good Morning. I'm excited to work with you guys." I replied to them.

Then the rest of my kids arrived at the table. Each one bowed at the three others that were being introduced to me.

"Good Morning, Nohchida." Nohchida which means Miss, my kids greeted them in a chorus.

Both Japanese women were excited to see up close the rest of my kids. They looked bubbly and about to erupt in joy.

"Hi, Guys." Both Japanese women replied and gushed at my kids.

"Both are fans of your kids. Harper is an AhnYoungz Stan, while Nicole is an OT12 stan but is biased mostly to Summer." Heath reintroduces both Japanese members to me and my kids.

Summer, Yujin and Wonyoung greeted both Japanese women and bowed to them.

"We'll go ahead and get breakfast." All three of them replied.

They hurriedly left the table and we were left with Heath. She stood beside the table and eyed everyone. I went and took her by the arm  and pulled her to the buffet table.

"Where's Gaeul?" She asked me.

"In her room, on a meeting." I replied to her.

"We're going to be late for the shoot, can someone get her?" Heath asked me.

"No, we won't be late. Gaeul doesn't eat until lunch, it was only me and the other ten who loves eating breakfast. Besides , she's currently on a one-on-one with Tzuyu Otosan and Sana Okaasan. I reported her behavior yesterday. Sana Okaasan said she'll talk to her." I replied.

"Okaasan? Otosan?" Heath asked me.

"Yeah, which means Eomma or Mother in Japanese. Otosan is Father in Japanese. I call them that because I look partly like Tzuyu Otosan and Sana Okaasan." I replied to her.

"Oh, yeah. You're their industry kid. I almost forgot. I would have been their other industry kid." She replied as she handed me a plate and utensils.

"Do you ever regret not debuting?" I asked her.

"I don't ever regret, because I love what I do now. Growing up, my Eomma always told me to do what makes my heart happy. Be it in Music, Broadcasting, Acting or what ever I did back then." She replied to me.

"I'm just curious and I hope you don't mind if I asked you." I replied to her and paused

She waited patiently for the question I had. Her eyes filled with wonder and glimmer, a certain sureness to her.

"Where is your Appa? Why don't I hear any stories about him?" I asked her.

She smiled a fond smile at me.

"My Father died when I was two and my brother still in Eomma's womb. He died from a car crash accident, a speeding car going over ninety on a small street, collided head on to Appa's Car." She replied bitterly and a bitter smile shown on her face and paused.

Sensing she was going to say more, I waited for her to continue the story.

"I was never close to Appa, because he always came home late and worked even on weekends. Eomma was also busy, so I was left with Oehaelmoni." She adds and pauses again.

"Eomma worked as an HR Director for a company and a year ago, once my brother finished school, she opened her own convenience store near Konkuk and retired." She said.

"Oh, Mianhe. I shouldn't have asked." I replied to her.

She shook her head and smiled as she moved through the line.

"It's human to wonder about people you don't hear about. I love retelling my memories of him, those little memories keep him alive in my mind, we rarely went out as a family, the last thing I remember about him was his love for photography. That's why it was easy for me to pick my profession, I always relied on Photography to bring me comfort." She replied mysteriously.

"I see. I understand now." I replied to her reassuringly.

She was next to be served by the staff but she switched places with me to make me go first. I gratefully smiled at her as I got some french toasts, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and hash. I only ever liked red mung beans on Bungeoppang, I never liked baked beans or the ones cooked English or Australian Style. She eventually got her food and we went back to our table where her three colleagues were talking candidly with Yujin, Wonyoung and Kazuha. They were fans of my kids, especially Nicole, who stanned everyone but was ultimately Kazuha biased.

Kazuha who we call Kang Zuha, because she learned English very well in a short matter of time, Zuha which means leaf in Korean. She used to be lost with the language barrier. So, when she got into Team A together with Rei at Produce 58, where we had two teams, Team A Major and Team B Minor, we welcomed her and helped her with reading and speaking Korean. She studied intensively that by the second week of the show, she spoke and read and understood Korean fluently. Rei was also welcomed and guided by the other Korean members of Team A. Kazuha never looked back and pitied herself, she was confident and always strived to work hard in learning Korean that by the end of the show and by the time we debuted in NewGenes and HypeGirls, she was dubbed as Kang Zuha by both the members and fans.

It was a running joke to name someone either Kim, Lee or Kang for foreign group members who speaks and writes Korean well. Sana Okaasan herself was dubbed Kim Sana from Busan as she could speak Korean with a Gyeongsang Satoori accent from Busan. She was great in convincing everyone she was a Busan native. She even showcased her Korean on a show when she was still promoting as Twice, she managed to convince an old ahjumma that she was a Korean native. Kazuha easily passes off as a Gyeonggi resident because she had a Gyeonggi Satoori accent. She and Yunjin, a former member of NewGenes and now a soloist spoke fluently, despite Yunjin growing up in the United States.

We sat beside each other and continued to swap stories about ourselves.

"When you were in school, did you ever dream of becoming an Idol?" She asked me eventually.

"I didn't. I wanted to become a doctor, so I can help my Appa. He needed a lifesaving operation back then. We've been saving for that for about a few years. I wanted to be a top Heart Surgeon back then. I was taking up STEM but on the side I've been auditioning for Entertainment Companies in hopes of debuting and getting my Father's operation, he got hospitalized during the last three days of Produce. Which Sana Okaasan helped me, because I was going to pull out from the show and beg for help instead, she said I should stay and she'll take care of my Father." I replied to her.

"Jinjja? Wow, Sana Eomma really is an Angel." She replied.

"She is a real life angel. She arranged for my Appa's operation, she took him to Doctor Lee Jiyeon, she managed to get a heart donor match for Appa back in Japan. The organ was flew in same day and soon Appa underwent an operation as we were preparing for final broadcast, they finished on the day I was announced as the center for Produce 58." I replied smiling.

"Wow, that's a double blessing." Heath quipped.

"It is, that's why Appa always sends Sana Okaasan pastries that she and Tzuyu Otosan likes, my Appa is a baker, he has his own bakery in Miseong-dong." I replied to her.

"I heard about that bakery, several friends went there to have custard filled bread. Isn't that the shop you were raving about Harper?" She asked Harper.

"Oh my god, that was your Appa? He's popular around

Please log in to read the full chapter