The Happiest Ever After

Dating App Match
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hyewon's POV:

February 5, it was her birthday today and yet here I am, feeling all the nerves as in a few hours I will get to marry her. I've been trying to distract myself by doing some late projects for our wedding. I've been editing footages of us through the last eight years we were together. I wanted to play it for her and remind her of our life in the last eight years. How the last eight years have changed and made me a better person. The last video had to be of us kissing after the wedding ceremony. So, I tasked my people in the company which already grew to twenty coming out of five that stuck with me through out the initial years of establishing and making the name Studio MongMin a popular creative company. All they are going to do was to append this video I was making with a video of us kissing in the end and an outro transition. That's everything. I was almost done when Yasmine came barging into my room and calling me.

"Kwangbae Hyung! Where are you? Are you not ready to have brunch?" She asked as she entered the room.

"I'm here! Hold on! I just need to compress this video file and we're off to brunch." I replied to her as I was sitting in bed, waiting for the video to compress.

"How many more?" She asked me as she sat on my bed.

"Five percent and I need to make sure that the video actually plays." I grinned at her.

"Oh and why do you need to do this video project again? You're jittery aren't you?" She asked me.

"Yeah and it's my birthday gift to her. Nothing like my own video compilation of our story, how I remember her and our story." I replied to her with another grin.

"My Hyung-nim who is so in love with her bride. I wish I had the same energy as you when I married Lily." She replied with a snicker.

"You don't have a romantic bone in you. Makes me wonder why Lily said yes to you." I replied to her snickering.

"Yah! I made her laugh most of the time. She loves having a good laugh." She replied sulkily.

"Ori, I'm kidding. I know Lily loves you so much, she even wrote several songs about you and by several, I mean a couple of hundred songs. All she ever wanted was to marry you ever since I'd met her at Starfish." I replied to her.

"Done! Give me just a couple more minutes to play it at random intervals to make sure it's playing." I replied to her.

"Arayo, love bird." She replied and watched the video playing.

After making sure that the video was playing perfectly, I sent it to my staff Jaejae who will shoot the final video and add the final transition and play it at the reception. All set now so I stood up from my bed and put on a hoodie that says Soon-to-be Missus Kim Carrie similarly had a Hoodie that said Soon-to-be Married to Miss Kang. We talked about who gets to use which surname and I came forward and told her I could assume her last name, I had no trouble doing that, since Kyeongwoo could continue our bloodline and future plus there another two sons that Appa had with his second wife so I'm basically free to use whichever surname I wanted. Being married to her is what mattered mostly for me. Never mind who gets to use which surname, I'd willingly take her Kim last name just so she doesn't need to change her name and documents. Also her career will be resuming and it would take some more time had she decided to assume my last name Kang. So, I went and volunteered to assume hers instead.

Yasmine and I finally got down to the pool where we will be having our breakfast and the girls were in the other part of the private resort nearest the sea side. We were not supposed to see each other until the wedding proper. I missed her and wanted to see her but my whole entourage and hers wouldn't allow us. Once we got to our table, Charlie served me with my brunch. Charlie who was a chef for her and Serenity Unnie's Cat Cafe, she will be our caterer and her team was already hard at work early in the morning.

"Enjoy your brunch bro." Charlie told me smiling.

Charlie and her team was fantastic. Even yesterday for our rehearsal dinner, she served us some great food. She's been monitoring every aspect of our catering. Making sure all the ingredients was sourced fresh from farm-to-table. Even the fish she served for the rehearsal was fresh out of a fisherman's boat. Getting her as our caterer ensured quality food. She had resources due to her tenure working previously at restaurants and then eventually opening her Cat Cafe. Carrie really got everything planned ahead of me, when I started to query her about the details of our wedding planning, she already gave me a list of her final selection for each category, which included Studio MongMin for Photography and Videography which she insisted on paying for herself. She was adamant about it and said it was final. So, I let her, I learned that there was nothing wrong to accept help from time to time. To accept her hand in helping me achieve my goals as a creative. She nurtured Studio MongMin and now her final act of help came with this wedding video and our prenuptial video which came out three months after the proposal. Jaejae was the one in charge, she forbade me to dip my hands into working for our own wedding. Which was honestly haed for me, so our story video was something I've been working on whenever I am stressed about not being able to post edit anything. Jaejae was great with the prenuptial video, she captured us exactly the way I'd imagined us for the prenuptial video and pictorial.

"Thanks, bro." I replied to Charlie smiling.

She quickly disappeared back to the kitchen, the rest of her team serving our brunch. We were having a traditional Japanese Breakfast that had grilled fish, vegetables, miso soup, and the works. It was a pretty heavy brunch to sustain us for the day ahead. Nichole smiled at her bento box of brunch. Nichole Yabuki who was set to marry Harper this coming October looked so happy with her bento that I took a photo of her admiring her honorary Otosan's work. She always referred to Charlie as her Otosan and Serenity Unnie as her Okaasan. Much like I referred to Madison as Eomma when she's being an Ahjumma who monitors my every move. We ate brunch as we talked about anything and everything under the sun. Having fun with friends and colleagues who became like my sisters by trade and by association with our jobs. Each one of the married friends gave me useful advice as I mentally prepared myself for what's about to come. A few hours more and I get to see my wife and make her my wife. I was reminded of Appa's own advice before he passed on.

Hyewon-ah, always remember that making your wife the happiest is what's expected of you. So never disappoint her like I did, never hurt her and hit her, never let anger ruin your bond, anger subsides, but the scars it leaves are forever. Don't be like me, I cheated on your Eomma and hit her, I also couldn't control myself and ended up hitting you on the head. Those two things have left you without a Father, her raising two kids on her own and you growing up with Monsters and Insecurities that aren't necessarily your fault but mine. I hope you feel all the support I gave for you, my acceptance of your tender and loving heart, who you have become and who you will be in the future. I'm sorry if I couldn't walk you down the aisle, but remember to be a better partner and never allow your future family to experience the same experiences you had growing up. I'll watch over you and I'll always root for you, whether I live long or die soon, you can be assured I will watch you grow into the woman that you deserve to be.

Those were his last words when I first visited him in Edmonton. The first and last important words from Appa. It felt light and have set me free from all my monsters that plagued my life, in that moment, they were gone, vanishing into nothingness. It was like a Hard Reset for me, everything I experienced and developed as my habits and my protective bubble all went down. Like a renewed sense of confidence. I have these moments to thank him for and I hope he was here to witness me get married, to walk me down the aisle, to watch as I made my life's greatest dream a reality. A family of my own with a nice and decent woman. I hope he was here with me to hold me in his arms like he did throughout the time I spent with him, those last few months w

Please log in to read the full chapter