Hectic Monday

Dating App Match
Please log in to read the full chapter

Heath's POV:

It was Monday and I woke up tangled in Carrie's arms. I normally wake up super early because of work. No matter if I had nothing to do at work, I was just used to starting my day early. Even back as a child, I had no trouble waking up for school. I was always eager to come to school and learn. To fill the void I was feeling due to my loss of memory, I feel like my Eomma, Aunts, Uncles and both Grandparents weren't exactly telling me the truth. I had an opportunity to ask questions but never got a sufficient answer about what happened and why my parents had to separate. I was taught to focus on the now, everyone moved on and created a life for themselves. Until both Paternal Grandparents died and recently my Maternal Grandma died. My Father and I met during the wake, he was civil and a well dressed man. Far from the picture everyone tried to paint, I heard several schoolmates and classmates say, my Father was a bastard, a good for nothing guy who impregnated my Mother and left us alone. To fend for ourselves and our survival. I promptly dismissed them and told them my Appa was dead. It was not until I was 16 when I met him at my Harabeoji's wake. He flew from Canada with his two sons, he introduced himself as my Father. He cried heftily and kept on apologizing to me. I forgave him for no reason,  I didn't ask him either. I only accepted his apology. I was satisfied with my family, the model of family I had growing up. Eomma, Haelmoni, Uncle and Aunties gave me everything I could possibly want and need. They all helped Eomma in raising Kyeongie and I. Some things were not supposed to be answered, I grew up fine, albeit the monsters I had with me growing up. Those scary monsters became my friends and allies and everyone of them kept me alive. Why would I want them gone and banished? Nothing could ever answer my questions, so I settled for the answers I got, piecing them together were like a puzzle to me, judging by both grandparents jittery voice and dodgy eyes, it wasn't a good experience for them either. These were my thoughts as I watched Carrie sleep soundly. I envied Carrie, because she was raised in a good family environment, she was a good person. I placed a kiss on top of her head before quietly slipping out of her bed. I brushed my teeth and washed my face and emerged out of her room. I found her Father getting busy at the Kitchen, he chops some Kimchi and stops mid-action and looks up to me. I bowed to him and greeted him.

"Good Morning, Appa Taehyung, may I help with breakfast preparations?" I greeted him. 

"Sure. Come and help." He smiled at me softly. 

I got an apron from the hanger and put them on, before standing beside Appa Taehyung. 

He hands me another knife and I quickly got onto chopping some potatoes which I guess he will turn into a pajeon. Judging by how he showed me how to chop the potatoes. After a moment of silence between us, he suddenly spoke to me. 

"I'm sorry about last night, I worry about my Minguring and how she threads into new relationships. I hope you know, I didn't meant to scare you last night and as a Parent, I constantly worry about my Minguring, how is she presenting herself as an artist and an individual. I hope you don't mistake anything as a threat." He said to me. 

"I perfectly understand your point, Appa Taehyung. I really appreciate your concern, but I am fully aware that she's two years younger than I am, I wouldn't want to force her to do things she doesn't want to do, she is free to decide on her own and whatever she decides on doing, I will respect her and her decisions." I replied to him. 

"I am glad that you understand my point. I worry about my Minguring, but I also worried whether you were scared or not, I was told by Minguring about your Father possibly hurting you and your Mother. My heart was crushed to hear that, how can a grown man lay his hands on you and your Mother? You were too little to know right from wrong, you acted based on your Mother being hurt and you thought it was good to shield her. I wanted you to know, I am proud of how you grew up strong and respectful of one's boundaries and choices. I will stand by you and Minguring, even after your relationship with my daughter doesn't  work out." He says to me.

"Thank you, Appa Tae." I replied to him. 

"No problem, Kid. Treat this family as yours and our home too." He said smiling. 

It was the most pleasant thing I have ever experienced, someone who was willing to look past what happened and saw me as a child. I smiled at him at once and continued to chop the ingredients he was preparing. He moves with a certainty and love for his family, it was crazy to be able to witness him move along the kitchen. As if he was sure of what to do and what to prepare for his family. It was not a typical household, where the Father stood mostly unmoving and was the law in the household. They shared the bulk of household work, with Appa Tae doing the heaviest works in and around the entire household. She had an enviable family model, one where Appa was always on top of things. He did all the work before he leaves for his bakery. It was only four in the morning when I woke up, he was up before me. I asked him about his bakery.

"How is your shop doing these days Appa?" I asked him.

"I have some helpers who are getting ready to make the bread, they help me form the dough to be baked into goodies, would you like to come and visit? You can go with Carrie later." He replied smiling.

"We'll visit the shop later. Thank you, Appa." I replied to him and smiled genuinely as I went with him to the stove.

I was in charge of making braised vegetables and meat. I made them based on the sauces I had in front of me. Then her eldest brother came into the Kitchen. He smiles at me and greeted his Appa good morning, before making himself a cup of coffee. 

"Yah! Jimin! You're late waking up again! Go and finish your breakfast quickly and get into my shop! Why you little brat! If I would have known you're the worst apprentice ever, I wouldn't have taken you in and just let you work for another bakery around town!" Appa Tae exclaimed.

"Appa! Chill! I'm almost done with my studies, I only have this apprenticeship, can't I relax for a little bit?" Jimin reasoned with him. 

"Yah! You and your wise comebacks!" Appa Tae replied to him. 

He was about to hit Jimin in the head with a wooden spoon, when Carrie entered the Kitchen and eyed her Father a little disappointed. 

"Appa! Please don't hit Jimin Oppa and you Oppa, hurry and finish your breakfast or you'll be late for school." Carrie warns her Appa before making her way towards me and placing a soft kiss on my lips.

It was more of a chaste peck and got herself a glass of water from the fridge right after. 

"You should be grateful for Minjoo." Appa remarked at Jimin. 

"Yeh, Thank you Minguring. But I have an apprenticeship instead of school, I'm only due for school on Friday." Jimin explained to Carrie. 

"Oh. Good, where are you working as an apprentice?" Carrie asked him.

"At Appa's Bakery." He replied as he got some bread and proceeded to eat. 

The first batch of breakfast was already served on the table prior to me coming out to the Kitchen. The first batch had some sausages, cheese, bread and cut up fruits. I guess Jimin ever only liked these for breakfast. 

"Appa, gomawo for breakfast, this smells delicious." Carrie quipped at her Father.

She inhaled the fumes coming out of the pans. Her Father giggled at her silliness. 

"Sit down and I'll serve your favorite Pajeon shortly." Her Father told her. 

She smiles and hugged her Father simultaneously. 

"Aigoo, my sweet Minguring, I'll be just a second, First Course will be Pajeon then some braised meat which Hyewon is already cooking." He says to Minjoo. 

"And then a mountain of meat so you can grow more beautiful." Her Father quipped at her.

This elicited a giggle from me, He was like Eomma who says things like this, eat more meat, fish and vegetables so you can grow more beautiful. It was a constant reminder from Eomma. I felt Carrie put me in a headlock and asked me. 

"Yah! Why are you giggling? Care to explain?" She reprimanded me. 

"I just thought it's cute that Appa told you this. Eomma usually tells me to eat a lot of vegetables, fish and meat, so I can grow more beautiful." I replied to her.

"And Little Hyewon did grow up more beautiful, smart and strong. Parents aren't wrong to say these things." She replied to me sweetly.

I agree, our parents knew best, she would be a perfect Mother herself. I don't know it just yet, but she will be. She lets me go after and sat w

Please log in to read the full chapter