Worst Father

Dating App Match
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kyeong-soo's POV:

I sat here at home, feeling all the pain I could ever feel in my entire life. Canada was had been a good place for me to live in and restart in life after my Divorce with my first wife Yewon. It was entirely my fault why she divorced me. If I had better control of my anger and didn't hit my own child with a metal chair in the head, we would have been alright. My own indescretions would have been forgiven if I didn't hit our eldest child. I regretted that, which became an irony at the moment. My two sons from another woman wouldn't care to help me with my treatments, depleting what little I have saved working as a Manager for a restaurant. My diagnosis for lung cancer was something expected as the Restaurant Business in its boom previously had customers smoking at their tables at least in my section of the restaurant I previously worked for, the smoking area were huge tippers. If you smile at them and speak with them as if they're important, you get big tips waiting on them. My wife currently lost her job, my two boys had a life of their own and abandoned me for their Mother. They say the third wife is a charm and she was, she spent most of her time caring for me these days as she did online teaching English to Koreans. Having been a Korean herself, my third wife was a Teacher for several decades now, she was a former Teacher of my eldest son Ian. Before he moved to Ontario, leaving me behind at Edmonton. His Mother lived at Ontario after our divorce and now they wouldn't even speak to me. Jinri my third and current wife was a sweet and loving woman, a divorcee like I am, only because she couldn't produce an offspring. She was ten years younger than I am. Her own savings were depleted because of the treatments I had. My siblings couldn't give me a spare money for my treatments thus it led me to send a message to my daughter as a final choice I had. At least to feed my wife currently and have her live a life that's far from where we were. Jinri had more to her if only she would try and divorce me, but she stuck by me and cared for me diligently. I felt awful for asking my daughter who I have hurt tremendously, the same daughter who I hit with a metal chair some thirty years ago. She read my message but hasn't replied to me. I suppose she was busy and had things going on right now. Tears fell down my eyes, out of remorse, guilt and shame. I looked over to my lovely wife as she was sleeping soundly for the night. I long wished to stop with treatments and just give her what little I have saved. I was down to my last one hundred dollars in the bank. If I don't get a reply from Hyewon, I would take it as punishment for my sins against her, Kyeong-woo and Yewon.

How could I not have predicted all this and prepared myself for it? How could I be so confident that I wouldn't die because of second hand smoke? The world seemed to be conspiring against me. Catching up with my sins and all those horrible things I put them through. I guess, I deserved it. Yewon has since moved on beautifully, I heard she runs her own convenience store around Yongsan University. My siblings mentioned she prepares packed lunches for students too. That reminded me of her delicious cooking. A good home cooked meal by Yewon was one of the things I missed. Maybe if I haven't given into my indescretions, I would still enjoy all the things she had to offer. Perhaps I would have never immigrated to Canada and perhaps I would have watched Hyewon and Kyeong-woo grow to be the most beautiful kids. I could only look at their photos online. I also heard that my eldest Daughter now had a popular girlfriend, a Singer  from a Korean Top Three Entertainment Company. Her Facebook page looked untouched since I heard this bit. So, there was no way to confirm it and I didn't know the name of the girl either, I didn't bother asking for the fear of my siblings denying the request. They knew what happened in the past and ever since I've been asked to stay away from my kids and to not cause them anymore harm than I had and so, stayed away I did. Although it hurts to know that I caused them great harm. I will be branded as the worst Father to exist.

I am undone and I guess, I deserved to die a miserable man. I cried out to God, in vain and in resentment of my past mistakes. Jinri didn't deserve to be with me and to be suffering the same fate I had written for myself. I hope to at least spend some time with my eldest, to hold her in a hug like I used to when she was still a little child. I hope to somehow make her feel how sorry I am for hurting her and for almost killing her and for not answering all her questions. I hope she can forgive me and I hope to embrace her even if it is for the las

Please log in to read the full chapter