Night at the Capital Part 3

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

Like prey backing away from the predator, Seulgi and I took a few steps back whilst the people kept pushing towards us - greeting us, and handing out their gifts. The plaza is filled with numerous individuals and we only have Rowoon with us and a few shadows. Even with him, my shadows cannot reveal themselves in public or else the royal family's secret will be exposed.  

     "Should we make a run for it?" Seulgi whispered, eyeing those who are staring at us.

     "Can you still run after all the dancing though?" I whispered back.

     I wish to return to the palace quietly, but our identities have been revealed - which will generate a commotion and make people aware. I don't want to appear impolite, but Seulgi and I had no choice but to leave the people. Thus, without hesitation, I covered my head with my hood and Seulgi's before darting away from the gathering.

     I can hear Suelgi giggling behind me - unsure why she finds our chase as something to laugh about. Is she not worried people will talk behind our backs? The emperor will reprimand us for leaving the palace walls without guards?

     I want to remind Seulgi of her position, but I can't help but chuckle along with her. It's like we were candidates again - the exhilaration of sneaking out, masquerading to be commoners, dodging the gaze of the imperial guards, and a variety of other escapades. Speaking of guards, news got out that the empress and the saint were seen in the plaza without security, so they followed the crowd to find us.

     "Your majesty!" One of the guards shouted. "Halt! Please it's not safe!"

     "You've got the wrong people!" Seulgi shouted, facing them. "We're just commoners!"

     "Then why are you running?! Halt! In the name of the emperor!"

     Seulgi changed our position - now she's leading us both. She took a vial from her pocket and removed the cork - releasing a thin smoke. It's not illegal to bring potions around in the south since they pose no harm (due to the gods' promise), but I never envisioned Seulgi utilizing even one.

     "I'm sorry!" Suelgi shouted throwing the fragile object to the ground - releasing a thick fog that helped us advance further as the rest stopped due to the blindness of their surrounding.

     I can only stare at the girl holding my hand and leading the way. Even now, Seulgi never fails to surprise me - from the day she asked me permission for her to call me by my name, to her genius intellect about last year's food shortage, now this. 

     Our pace gradually slowed as we realized no one was following us.

     We both panted for breath - gasping while laughing.

     "What a fantastic experience!" Seulgi remarked. "Did you see my aim when I threw the potion at them? Merely into the middle of the crowd! Perhaps I should attempt archery to put this skill to use?"

     I chuckled, breathing heavily. "How... how can you... still have this much... energy after all that running?!" I straightened my back and took deep breaths to gather my composure, before continuing, "I, who's athletically inclined, am wheezing for breath. Yet you... you're still energetic as ever."

     Seulgi and I made our way back to the capital gates. Because of the hunt for us at the plaza area, there aren't many people around, so the road is clear. 

     "Your majesty," Seulgi spoke.

     "Yes, Seulgi?"

     "Would you like to accompany me to the orphanage this weekend? Huilin wrote me a letter, and I find myself thinking about her. Yeri is preoccupied with her plans. You are welcome to join me if you have the time. Of course, if you're too busy, I understand! Huilin simply wanted to see you again as she said in her letter."

     "Oh? She does. That's.... surprising. I didn't know I gave a huge impression on her."

     "Well, you are the empress." Seulgi chuckled, remembering a memory. "When I first came to the orphanage, most of the stories I narrated were about us."

     "Us?"

     I didn't realize she had stopped walking until I moved my head to the side - not seeing her. I turned my back and saw Seulgi just standing - smiling at me, and watching my every move and reaction.

     "Yes. Us. When... we were still candidates." She continued her steps afterward - word by word, "From the crown prince (now emperor) announcing the candidates, our entertaining rivalry, our friendship, sneaking out of the palace, and..." she stopped right in front of me - gaze digging deep into my eyes.

     I won't deny that it made my heart skip a beat - she always does. Whatever Seulgi does will always fascinate me and make me even fall harder. I am deeply and hopelessly still in love with the saint - so hopeless that I can only silently yearn for something that I can't have. From the Regina Selection until now, I am still in love with Kang Seulgi.

     "And?" I asked, anticipating her reply.

     Seulgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter