Irene's POV Part 1

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

Becoming Regina is a duty that I must fulfil as the fiancée of the crown prince, and as the daughter of the grand duke. The moment I was born, it was already decided that I, Bae Joo-hyun, will become the future empress of the empire. I grew up thinking that I must be empress, that I must fulfil my duty. I must be flawless – I need to rise above others. Hence, I set irrelevant things aside and spent the time studying and improving my skills and talent fitting for Regina. At a young age, I brought great honour to the Bae Dukedome. Those who envy me are no match – they all fall behind. 

      Growing up as the crown prince's fiancée, I was foolish to think that he (at some point) likes me. I looked like an idiot every time I try to win his affection. Until I realized that he never liked me at all. Only then my eyes opened to the truth that this engagement wasn't like those I've read in fairy tales – thus, I stopped aiming for his favour. Nevertheless, I still chose to become the future crown princess since it seems like the only available option for me. In addition, I treasure the empire and its people. Whether the prince likes me or not, I will still become empress for it is my duty. 

      I thought I will be satisfied by just that – until Seulgi entered my life. 

      Kang Seulgi – a daughter of a low ranking noble. She never had an official debut to society, but she is popular to the public. Her first appearance was at the ball during the empire's Founding Celebration. When I saw her, she was no different from other nobles. However, I did find her intriguing – she kept glancing at me as if she couldn't stop; it was like she saw something that I can't. What caught my attention was when the crown prince (my fiancé) asked her (not me) for a dance – his first ever dance. I couldn't help but wonder why her? Why Seulgi when I am the fiancée? What made the prince choose her? Why would the crown prince of the empire end up liking a low ranking noble? 

      Rumours then spread saying that my relationship with the prince wasn't as calm as they thought it would be. And others even say that Seulgi will be the future Regina. I cannot blame them for saying so. I am aware (fully aware) of the attraction in his eyes. He wouldn't dance with her if he wasn't interested in the first place. The prince didn't even deny the rumours, nor try to absolve it. Of course he won't – it's the truth after all. However, the emperor persuaded him. The image of the duchy and the imperial family were on the line. If people will see that the prince and I are not in good terms, it will ruin the image of both factions. So, to avoid baseless stories, the prince and I will have to pretend – frequent palace visits, escorting me to balls, and having those awkward tea sessions with him. It is troublesome but I cannot disappoint the grand duke by ruining our image – let alone destroying the name of the imperial family because I am tolerating the prince's dislike to me. 

      "My lady," my attending maid in the duchy arrived with a bow, "letters arrived for you." 

      I am drinking tea at the mansion's garden – enjoying the breeze of spring. I placed my teacup down on its plate before minding my maid. She placed a tray on the table. A silver tray with three letters stacked together and a letter opener. One letter came from one of my suitors, while one came from a noble friend inviting me to a tea party. 

      "Thank you," I picked up a letter covered in gold letters. There was no name written, and only the crest of the Holy Church waxed on the opening. "Oh. A letter from the Holy Church?" 

      I took the knife and ripped it open. Upon reading the content of the letter, I stood up out of surprise. 

      "Where's the grand duke?!" I asked the maid, frant

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter