Night at the Capital Part 1

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

Night at the palace is like the definition of solace - only nature makes the melody, and no human noises are present. This kind of situation is the right opportunity to sneak out of the well-guarded imperial palace. Though I cannot underestimate the palace guards - and I was the one who handle the palace security during my first week as empress. This place isn't called the last line of defense for nothing - I still need a better tactic to leave unnoticed. Thankfully, secret passageways exist. 

     "Seeing you in your cloak brings back a lot of memories," Rowoon said, as I fix my cloak. "Even during the Regina selection—those were the great times: sneaking on secret missions, spying on enemies, and the likes."

     I chuckled. "Are the horses ready?" 

     "Horses? I thought the saint asked you out on a capital date. I wasn't informed that you two are eloping, my great empress."

     "Oh, shut it with your teasing, Rowoon." I spat. "This is not a date. My friend simply wanted to redo all our shenanigans from before." I grabbed my pocket of gold, "In addition, we don't want the public to notify us."

     "Then you won't be needing any horses. The cloak the saint gave you is an improved version of the old model. Alchemist improved it with concealing magic—people won't notice you as long as you keep your head hidden with the hood."

     "So... if I remove the hood the spell will break?"

     "Precisely,"

     One of the shadows came from the balcony and informed us Seulgi is ready to depart. With the help of Rowoon, we passed through the passageways unnoticed by the imperial guards. Seulgi was surprised to meet Rowoon at first, but she trusted my reliance on my friend and eased her worries.

     Sneaking out isn't new to me and Seulgi; however, given the circumstances, I am the empress, and the empire has no heir - so security is tightened. We must be meticulous about our surroundings. Suho wouldn't mind if I go out at night - the imperial court thinks otherwise. So to avoid their nagging, I had to sneak out.

     "Are you okay, Seulgi?" I asked the girl behind me - concerned if she was having trouble. I am not sure if Seulgi is still the same girl as before - I changed, and so can she. "Would you like to rest for a bit?"

     Seulgi shook her head. "We can go on,"

     The exit of the secret entrance led to the forest behind the greenhouse. If we want to reach the capital, we need to ride a horse. Rowoon discourages the use of horses since we can easily be detected - so we must travel on foot. It will take a while, but it's better to be safe, he said. With that plan, we silently walked our way to the capital gates - enjoying the silent night with no worries (my Shadows are tailing me for protection).

     "How do you like the new cloak, your majesty?" Seulgi asked. "I heard from Jenny it's her new invention."

     "Jennie Kim? I didn't know you two were friends."

     "We are penpals, your majesty."

     "Ah. I'm not sure if I should be jealous or not. At least Jennie receives your letters, and you write back."

     Seugli furrowed her eyebrows - knowing that I am teasing her and she is not amused by it. "Your majesty," she spat. I couldn't help but laugh - finding her reaction something I want to annoy.

     I giggled, messing with her hair. "I just like teasing you, my dear saint."

     We finally reached the capital gates after a long walk. I secured Seulgi and I's hood and cloak before we entered the gates. I wanted us to rest but Seulgi's excitement got ahead of me. The saint grabbed my hand and pulled me to one of the stalls - taking a glowing stick powered by magic crystals. Then another stall caught her eyes, and she dragged me towards it.

     She's like a locked-up princess who suddenly felt freedom, I said to myself. Oh well, let's let her enjoy.

     Rowoon is watching us from th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter