Irene's POV Part 4

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

Seulgi accepted my request. I am inside her chambers – sitting opposite of her, with tea and sweets on the table. My attention is outside the window – the view of the palace grounds. Of course, her room is close to the prince's palace. Only the best view surrounds it – and this is one of the views. The sunset rising at the break of dawn and the number of stars shining at night – all that can be seen in this area. 

      I can sense Seulgi’s gaze on me. The same gaze I felt back then during the Founding Celebration. I wonder why she kept staring me this way? Does she find my beauty fascinating? Or, she is staring at me out of envy? I cannot sense any jealousy form her gaze though. 

      I came to apologize, but to suddenly say it is a bit awkward. As a member for the Bae Family, we never apologize for anything. I am, for the first time, apologizing to someone else other than the members of the royal family. 

     I need to say something. I must break the awkward mood first.

      "That gown isn't made by a tailor in the capital, is it?" 

      What am I even asking?! Her gown? I could have just asked how her day went! But I chose her gown! Of course, it is made from the capi—

       "Ah! N-No. No, your highness. I... did it with my sibling." 

       "I see," 

      Oh, it wasn't from the capital. I did hear word that her clothes are tailored by her mother and her siblings.

      I took my cup, "I came here to apologize about what happened in the greenhouse, Lady Seulgi." 

      "You don't have to apologize, your highness! It wasn't your fault." 

      "No. I was rude to you when you were only giving me your assistance, and for slapping your hand away during your second attempt." 

      Seulgi listened attentively while I told her what happened with the prince. I can see the relief on her face when I said Suho took back his order. I even said details I thought I wasn't able to say to her. Seulgi and I never had a proper conversation – why would two Regina candidates even bother when they are both aiming to become the crown princess? I find it relieving that our conversation is doing well. She seemed comfortable with me too. 

      I continued, "Also, since I am in debt to you. Is there anything that you desire? I can give it to you as a sign of my thanks." 

      "Oh, you don't need to, your highness. Your word of thanks is enough." 

      "I insist, Seulgi." 

      It took Suelgi a while to give her request, and her answer surprised me. I have never met someone foolish enough to throw away the opportunity to take advantage of my gratitude. Instead of asking something physical or something that can help elevate her status, Seulgi only asked the permission to call me by my name. Her reason? It is because I am calling her Seulgi without honorifics. I only realized it late that I am calling her by her name without her title. 

      How peculiar. The thought amuses me. How can this lady just throw away such opportunity? Doesn't she want something else?

      I asked for confirmation, "You want to call me by my name? What a strange request. Others would take advantage of this situation and ask me gold and privileges, yet you only want the permission to call me by my name." 

      "I am sorry! It was rude for me to ask such—" 

      "Alright." I leaned my chin on my knuckles – supported by my elbows on the arm rest, "If that is what you want, Seulgi. I shall permit you." 

      "T-Then..." Seulgi’s reaction changed. I noticed a slight shade of red her cheek – and her hands remained in a praying position – covering her flustered face. "Joo-hyun...?" 

      I won't lie. She looked adorable. It makes me want to . 

      That look, that expression, how can I not smile? I wonder if she has more to offer? I guess I will just have to see in the future.

      "Yes, Seulgi?" I asked. 

      "Joo-hyun." 

      It's peculiar—I can't stop smiling. No one ever showed that kind of expression while saying my name. What is she even thinking? She is hard to read.

      "You know, instead of Joo-hyun. You can call me by my other name." I never allowed anyone aside from my family to call me by my other name – but since Seulgi 's request is to call me by my name, then I shall give her this privilege. Aside from that... maybe even more. 

      "Pardon?" 

      "It's Irene. I would prefer you call me Irene." 

      Ever since that day, my relationship with Seulgi and the prince improved. Seulgi and I became friends instead of rivals or enemies everyone thought we would be. I went to tea parties with her, sneaked outside the palace, wandered in the capital, and taught her how to ride a horse. As for the prince, he and I are meeting frequently. We even talked more about my proposal. Unlike before, the prince listened to me and even gave out his opinion – like how it supposed to be. 

      Because of my proposal and the prince's support, the Trading Plan saved the empire from both drought and winter seasons. We have enough supplies and resources for everyone. Of course, Seulgi contributed as well. Since it caused a huge impact to the empire, I was honoured with the medal of "Golden Rose" one of the highest honours given to those who made a huge influence to the empire. The honour pleased my father of course – he boasted it to everyone. 

      The prince dedicated a ball entirely for me. When the citizens heard about it, they praised me once more and called me with my unofficial title. This time, the prince wasn't bothered. 

      The ball happened in my family's estate. All nobles and royals from other countries and kingdoms are invited. I am filled with anticipation – after all, Seulgi will be coming to my home. I have so many things to show her, especially the library. 

      At the ball, everyone is all over me. I couldn't even find myself a break. Nobles and royals would ask me questions and tried their best to keep my attention stay on them. The only tim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter