Return Part 2

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

I informed Suho about my planned visits to the orphanages - starting with the orphanage Wendy's family is sponsoring. Since it's on the outskirt, thieves are prone to attack, hence, the emperor ordered the best knights to accompany me and the queen.

     We set off to the Northern Outskirts during the break of dawn since it will take us a day to reach our destination. If we are still on the road when night falls, the head of the guards proposed that we will stop by at one of the noble lands to rest instead of going further - which I agree. If it were me alone, I will still set out and camp in the open. However, Wendy is with me and her child - I cannot risk their safety.

     "So you don't have plans on having an heir?" Wendy asked while feeding the young princess.

     We are inside the imperial carriage - surrounded by guards from front to back - and Rowoon and the rest of the Shadows clearing the road ahead of us and other potential beasts that will ambush us.

     "I am not ready to be a mother, Wendy." I answered, "Especially since my child will be the future ruler of this empire. There are a lot of things to consider—and Suho thinks the same."

     "I understand. But if you are to be pregnant, would you have a girl or a boy?" The young princess finished eating and reach her hand to me - begging to be carried. Of course, I took her and gave her back a pat to release the air she consumed while feeding. Wendy added, "For me, I wanted two children—a girl and a boy."

     I answered, "I want a girl." I smiled - imagine a young girl in my arms, "I will take good care of her like a child should be treated. If possible, I would like her to live like a commoner instead of a royal. We both know how strenuous it can be if you are a noble—let alone a member of the royal family."

     "How's the investigation of the orphanages? I wanted to ask that yesterday but I thought about setting responsibilities aside and giving you a break from your duties." 

     "We have progress. We saved a lot of children and punished those who needed to be punished." I released a sigh. "We are yet to find out who is the mastermind of all of this. No matter how hard we try to persuade or beset the men involved, they still won't tell us who ordered them to do such villainous acts. With the help of our allies, children bought by the mercenaries and slave dens were saved as well. Though we still have a long way to chase all of the transactions—still it is a good beginning."

     "How about the conflict between the South and the West?" 

     I stared out the window, "The tension continues to increase. We received no reply to all the messages we give. They only strengthened their border facing ours but it's intimidating enough. The silence, the uncertainty—they all lead to an apparent war."

     "I guess our only choice is to wait. They're not aiming for a surprise attack, are they?"

     I shook my head, "No. They placed men at the border to keep it guarded—that is all."

     "Maybe they're waiting for us,"

     "Waiting for what? We sent them letters, and we requested an audience but received no response." My eyes landed on the princess in my arms, "The West is a frank nation, Wendy. They don't use childish tactics for they are war people."

     We changed the subject to the princess. If I so yearn for a child, I'd indulge myself in taking care of my godchild. Wendy was ecstatic that I accepted her request to be her daughter's godmother when she was baptized. Unfortunately, back in those days I was busy with imperial duties and wasn't able to come. 

     We continued our journey until the sun began to set. We stayed in one of the manors of the Kim Family. There I met the outstanding student of the academy: Jennie Kim. It was the perfect coincidence since we managed to talk about the newfound magic and planned out our course of action in terms of our food supply. I didn't have to wait to visit the academy to see her; hence, I did my work while I am in the Kim Manor. With this, my work is lessened by one.

     After a night of rest, we set off once more.

     "Look at her," Wendy said, looking at her sleeping baby in a baby cradle, "so innocent, fragile, and tiny. Her small hand holding my finger and touching my face feels... unreal."

     I smiled, seeing the wonderment on my friend's face. "Still can't believe it?" I asked.

     Wendy shook her head.

     "You are going to be a fine mother, Wendy." I took my friend's hand and assured her, "I may not be a mother myself but I am aware of the hardships you will face in the future. If you need my help, by all means, I am ready to help you."

     "Well, helping to ease my daughter's crying is already enough to put me to sleep," Wendy answered, chuckling.

     It seems that aside from the princess's parents, I too can hush her. The princess is yet to befriend her mother's aid though - she wasn't able to hush the young child last n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter