Eastern Empire Part 1

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Irene

Suho's sickness spread. One of the symptoms appeared - he is in a state of unconsciousness. The brain will momentarily shut down causing the host to be unresponsive but still alive. Since Suho is still in the early phase of the illness, he can regain consciousness in a few days, unlike his father who took months. Even if it's the early stage, the symptoms are close to severe. No one knows the cause of the royal family's sickness but it is dated back to the first monarchs. With no cure, death comes to the ruling monarchs; thus, the Southern Empire is the only region in the Middle Continent to have a long line of rulers.

     "We presume his majesty will be awoken in a few days," the imperial doctor spoke.

     Sitting beside Suho's bed, I held my husband's hand tight - my heart full of worry. "Thank you, doctor," I said to the latter.

     The doctor bowed before he left the room - leaving me and Suho alone.

     "Of all days, why must it be before I travel to the east?" I muttered. "Suho, I won't be here to protect you and the throne. What should I do? I can't postpone my trip to the east. Seulgi... the saint... I need to see the 6th saint."

     I can postpone my trip to the Eastern Empire since the life of the emperor is on the line and a head monarch must rule - but I can't. My selfish yearning to see Seulgi is stopping me. I can't go to the Eastern Empire without reason and this banquet is my only excuse. However, Suho is in a deep slumber - no one will handle the imperial court while I am away, and the Saint of the empire isn't here to assist as well.

     A knock disturbed me from my thoughts. 

     "Your majesty, the Holy Priest is here." My aid said.

     I stood up from my seat to greet the priest. He bowed his head in return before he spoke, "Greetings to the Moon of the Empire."

     "Raise your head, Your Holiness," I answered.

     The priest approached my husband's bed - checking his condition. The priests have the ability to heal - except for Suho's illness. However, the head of the church has the blessing of God so they are abundant in great healing - they can do little but it's worth nothing at all.

     A light shone from the priest's hand - emitting a warmth sensation.

     "His Majesty will be awoken in three days." He faced me, "Don't worry, your majesty. He will be alright."

     "Thank you, Your Holiness." I asked, "Pardon me for the question, what brought you to the palace? You are preparing for the yearly prophecy, are you not? Why spend time for this knowing that we can do little for the emperor."

     He answered, "When it comes to the well-being of the head monarch, I will always spare time as it is the vow I made in front of god." His head turned to my husband, "The late emperor also fell into slumber at this age but at that time it took him a month to wake. His majesty continues to fight, my empress. Let's believe in him."

     "Of course, your holiness. I trust my husband."

     "The courtier has informed the Imperial Court about his majesty. There won't be any meetings until he gains consciousness." His gaze then averted to me, "Will you still continue your trip to the east today?"

     "Yes," I adamantly replied. 

     The priest stared at me for a moment, before closing his eyes. "Your absence is ruinous when it comes to decision-making, empress. I hope you change—"

     I interrupted him, "Can I... entrust the safety of the emperor for the next four days to you, Your Holiness?"

     The priest released a sigh, "Truly you are your father's daughter—determined and stubborn." He said. "Is that an order, empress?"

     I shook my head. "No," I answered, my eyes landing on the emperor, "It's a request."

     The priest knelt whilst taking my hand - the Holy Priest, the person who is God's voice for humans, the head of the church, is kneeling in front of me. He added, "I shall accept the request. I bless thee with the gift of protection for thy journey, peace of mind for thy worries, and..." he faced me, "answers for questions thy seek."

     The travel from the Southern Empire to the Eastern Empire will take a day and a hideous terrain to pass. Security tightened around my carriage and the Shadows are lurking by to assist in case of bandits will attack, or an assassination.

     Thanks to the blessing the Holy Priest bestowed upon me and the mercy of our god, we arrived at the Eastern Empire safely.

     The Eastern Empire holds its culture dear. The empire living may look primitive due to their lack of use of lightbulbs and modern equipment, but their life is generative. Some citizens began to use modern tools to make their lives easier while some chose to settle with tradition. Citizens wear their traditio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter