Seulgi's POV Part 2

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi

 

Rumours began to spread after the incident. People say that the prince and I are in a feud because of Lady Joo-hyun, and it worsened her ladyship's reputation – calling her a villain. I want to help her vindicate her name, but I don't have the power to do so. Only the prince has the power to absolve it. 

      I didn't meet with Suho and stayed in my room in the palace for days. I want to know how Lady Joo-hyun is doing after what happened, but I feel I will only bother her if I want to see her. 

      "This room is stuffy." I said, with a sigh. I am sitting by the window – staring at the sky. 

      "Would you like to go outside, your highness?" Wendy asked. "It's been a week. Everyone is concerned, even your father." 

      I feel sorry for my attendants. Because of me they are getting bored and tired. I only eat, read books, and do some art while I am secluded in my room. I cannot even go outside – assuming that I might encounter the prince. This already reached the emperor, and as much as he wants to interfere... he can't. 

      I released a sigh. "I am sorry. You're serving a boring candidate." 

      "Please don't say that, your highness! It is an honour and privilege to serve a future empress!" Wendy held my hands, "Whether you will become the Regina or not, I will never leave your side and I will continue to serve you, your highness!" 

      I smiled, "For a daughter of a marquess to serve a daughter of a baron is out of the ordinary. Thank you, Wendy." 

      A knock disturbed us. The door opened and one of my maids entered with a lady-in-waiting. The lady-in-waiting said, "I am Lady Joo-hyun’s attendant—Joy. Her highness is here requesting to see you, Lady Seulgi." 

      I stood up from my seat. "L-Lady Joo-hyun?" I asked. I gave the attendant my permission, and immediately asked Wendy to prepare a suitable gown for the meeting. 

      Why would she want to meet me? Is she here to reprimand me about the Trading Plan? Or, for the mistake she didn't commit?

      Lady Joo-hyun is sitting opposite of me. She is facing outside the window – admiring the view. The elegant viridescent gown matched her pale skin and flawless face. Even without wearing jewelries, her beauty is still exceptional. 

      "That red gown," Lady Joo-hyun spoke, facing me, "That gown isn't made by a tailor in the capital, is it?" 

      "Ah! N-No. No, your highness. I... did it with my siblings." 

      "I see," 

      An awkward silence followed. This is the first time the lady asked to see me, and for us to even have a proper conversation. I don't know what to say nor ask. 

      Her ladyship took her teacup and said, "I came here to apologize about what happened in the greenhouse, Lady Seulgi." 

      "You don't have to apologize, your highness! It wasn't your fault." 

      "No. I was rude to you when you were only giving me your assistance, and for slapping your hand away during your second attempt." She handed me an object – my handkerchief. 

      Oh. Back then... the time when I saw her in the greenhouse.

      "You're forgiven, your highness." 

      "Also, the crown prince summoned me this morning." She placed her teacup back on the table after taking a sip. "Although it took Suho a week, he apologized for his mistake and took back his order. I heard that you didn't allow him to see you until he did." 

      "Yes," 

      "With that, I also want to thank you. Also, for giving a solution about the food shortage. As well as for persuading his highness to consider my proposal." 

      I smiled, "I only did what I must do, your highness." 

      "He also said that the court misunderstood him when he mentioned my proposal during the gathering. I knew him—he wouldn't discredit someone else work, nor allow someone take the credit they don't even own. Though, I did feel betrayed and was furious when I heard that you were the one who proposed the Trading Plan. It was my mistake for feeling such thing, and for jumping into conclusion, so I am sorry." 

      "You really do know the prince well, do you?" 

      "Of course, he is my fiancé. I knew him ever since we were kids. I know him like a book." 

      Hearing that from her, it felt like the atmosphere coming from our attendants changed. I don't think the lady's words were something I should be wary of though. Perhaps they find her words intimidating? 

      "Also," she continued, "since I am in debt to you. Is there anything that you desire? I can give it to you as a sign of my thanks." 

      I shook my head, "Oh you don't need to, your highness. Your word of thanks is enough." 

      "I insist, Seulgi." 

      I thought pensively. I don't really need anything physical. I want to stop being a candidate, but I cannot tell her that. I doubt she can even help me not to since even she, herself, cannot run away like me.

      "Oh!" I have a thought in mind but I feel like it would be shameless of me to ask her highness. 

      "Yes?" 

      My palms met in a praying gesture – though my index dinger met my lip, "If it's alright for her highness..." Lady Joo-hyun raised an eyebrow out of curiosity. I continued, "Can I call her highness by her name?" 

      "You mean my surname?" 

      I shook my hands and head, "No! No. You're calling me Seulgi unlike the rest who are calling me “her highness” or “lady”  (though the emperor is calling me Seulgi too). I thought, if I can, I want to call her highness by her name." 

      Lady Joo-hyun suddenly released a laugh. She smiled at me, "You want to call me by my name? What a strange request. Others would take advantage of this situation and ask me gold and privileges, yet you only want the consent to call me by my name." 

      She laughed and even smiled. Right, the aloof and quite daughter of the Grand Duke was known to show a little of her emotions. Now I remember the time when I first saw her—the time when she was blinding; the time she was laughing.

      "I am sorry! It was rude for me to ask such—" 

      "Alright." Her highness placed her right elbow on the arm rest while her chin is on her knuckles, "If that is what you want, Seulgi. I shall permit you." 

      "T-Then..." I don't know why but to think that I am given the permission to call her name is making my cheeks warm and my stomach twist. I lowered my head, my hands still in a praying position, "Joo-hyun…?"

      Saying her name is embarrassing, and I wonder as to why I feel so. 

      The smile on the lady's lips did not fade. "Yes, Seulgi?" 

      "Joo-hyun," 

      "You know, instead of Lady Irene. You can call me by my other name." 

      "Pardon?" 

      She stood up, "It's Irene. I would prefer you call me Irene." 

      After that day, my relationship with Lady Joo-hyun – I mean, Irene – improved. We would meet each other for tea, sometimes we will sneak out the palace to wander in the capital. Unlike the previous Regina Candidates who are scheming to destroy the other, Irene and I were becoming friends instead. We even go to gatherings together and dance together – and everyone is changing their views on Irene after seeing she and I have a good relationship. 

      It also seemed like the prince kept summoning her. Her relationship with the prince is improving as well, although there are times Suho couldn't stand her presence. I don't understand why the crown prince doesn't like Irene. I wanted to ask but that would only make me look like I am prying. 

      As for the crisis the empire is struggling with, Irene’s plan ended up being a success. When trading was allowed to those outside of our allied forces, not only the empire's treasury expanded, even our resources and storage as well – we wouldn't have to struggle during the drought and winter. It also improved our relations to other countries. 

      Irene's plan gave her an imperial honour: the medal of the "Golden Rose". An honour that is only given to those who made a huge influence and impact to the whole empire. It is the fourth highest honour for one to receive. 

      "Also, Lady Irene and I went out for a horseback riding yesterday and I ended up falling from your horse, your highness." I laughed, thinking about the memory from yesterday. I am with Suho in his office – our usual meeting time. "And her highness ran back to assist me. She was way too worried that she jumped out of her horse without noticing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter