Orphanage 2

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

The inhumane activities regarding the orphanages broke out around the empire. With the news of the alleged nobles' involvement, the noble faction has been under fire since then. My father, the grand duke, released a statement about the said scandal and is cooperating with the imperial investigation to further push the case. I know my father is not entangled in the said activities - he wouldn't gain anything after all.

   Within two weeks, six of the nobles (two of which are part of the Imperial Court) were arrested after the investigators caught them in the act - warning the managers of the underground dens. We also retrieved the abducted orphans and are now recuperating in one of Marquess Kang's sponsored orphanages - since the Kang Family is known for their great benevolence for the people of the empire. If I have to choose one family to trust, that would be them.

   According to the arrested nobles, there are more noble heads involved - but they won't divulge who. The fear in their eyes as they try to hide the truth and suppress the urge to betray their allies not only proves that they are loyal to whoever was the mastermind, but the mastermind is part of the prominent noble houses. Thus, they can't say who leads them all to do the inhumane crime.

   "Strip the nobles of their titles, revoke their lands," I ordered, while the courtier wrote my words on his paper - which soon he will give to the bellman, "The families of the nobles will be exiled from the empire. Spread the word to the neighboring countries."

   "I heed the word of the empress!" The courtier bowed his head and left.

   I leaned my back against the throne. I've been sitting on the imperial throne since Suho became bedridden. The imperial throne is covered in gold, rubies, and red silk from the Easter Empire - and lavished with purple marks with the names of the reigning monarchs. At the top of the imperial throne carved the name of the first emperor and under it is the first empress. The chair next to the imperial throne is the empress's seat and the crown heir.

   Only the emperor can sit on this throne or one who is in authority. Suho declared me as the highest authority while he is healing from his sickness; hence, why I am sitting on his throne. My name is also carved on the empress's seat, and on the emperor's seat - the second empress to have her name carved on the imperial throne. 

   "Your majesty, Marquess Kang requests to speak with you." The attendant spoke. "He is currently at the other side of the door. Should I let him in, or would you prefer to converse with the marquess in the imperial garden as usual?"

   "Please let him in," I replied. I've been talking with Seulgi's father since she left the empire - mostly out of political concerns. He hasn't brought up Seulgi - though he wanted to. It seems something is stopping him from telling me news about his daughter.

   The door of the throne hall opened, and MArquess Kang entered with a bow as a courtesy.

   "Greetings to the Moon of the Empire, the empress." Marquess Kang said. "Apologies for the sudden request, your majesty."

   "Raise your head, Marquess Kang." I spoke back, "What may be the reason for your presence today? I hope it isn't something serious. I had enough cluster headaches from all the reports I'm hearing from the other nobles. Please indulge me in something better for a change?" 

   The latter chuckled, "Indeed I do have, your majesty. With the help of the clerics from the East per requested by the emperor, the children in the orphanages are recovering well with their help. We only have a slight problem."

   "I am aware of how financially straining it is to take care of an orphanage. Especially as a temporary haven for the abused and traumatized children," I gestured my aid to come close for him to heed my order. I face Seulgi's father, "I will give you the financial aid. The orphanages are under the governance of the imperial family so please don't hesitate to ask for financial aid."

   "Thank you, your majesty."

   "Anything else, Marquess?"

   "The real reason why I am here is that I heard a word from the servants last meeting that you were invited by the Eastern monarchy for a banquet." Marquess Kang answered. "I was hoping if... you can..."

   "Have you accompanied me?"

   The latter shook his head. "No! No, no, your majesty. I was..." He released a sigh. "My daughter, the saint, hasn't sent any letters for months now and... I am worried. I asked the clerics about her yet they canno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter