Seulgi's POV Part 5

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi

Today is the day I will leave the palace to return to my family. The candidates are allowed to return to their households for a week after the winter season. It is the only time we were given a vacation. It's almost half a year since I saw my family, and I would rather stay back home than be here any longer. 

   Wendy entered my room. "Your highness," she spoke. "The carriage is here." 

     As I walk the hallway, I saw Lady Joo-hyun approaching in the opposite direction. I never got the chance to talk to her or see her since the incident. I know she hates me for my decision – she said it before:

     I make her sick.

     I curtseyed, but she didn't greet me back and passed by me. Wendy must be wondering what happened – I think everyone does. I cannot blame them. Irene and I were almost inseparable, but now we are back to strangers who are aiming to become Regina. 

     Irene asked, "You're not changing your decision, Lady Seulgi?" 

      She called me with honorifics—she never did before. I answered, "I made up my mind, your highness, Lady Joo-hyun." 

     "Coward..." 

     Wendy interfered, facing her ladyship, "Forgive me, your highness, but Lady Seulgi is not a coward." 

     "A person who quits amidst a challenge is a person we call a coward." 

     I scoffed, "How bold for one to blindly call another a coward without even knowing the truth behind the decision." I turned my back to face Irene. "Do you even know why, Lady Joo-hyun?" 

     Irene furrowed her eyebrows – showing her displease, "I don't want to hear excuses coming from your mouth." 

     "I never wanted to be Regina," I answered, nonetheless, "yet I don't want to give dishonor my family, thus, I had to endure." 

     "That is none of my con—" 

     "That is not all of course." I want to stop myself from talking. I don't even need to explain myself to her, but my mind kept telling me to explain otherwise. What would she say if I tell her that I am in love? What would her reaction be? Will she be happy? I continued, "I am in love." 

     The glare in Irene’s eyes disappeared. Confusion (f not, surprise) is written all over her face. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter