Orphanage Part 1

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Irene

I reported the events to Suho - except for the topic of the imperial heir. He acknowledged my decisions in court while stating his suggestions to further improve the situation with the West. We don't know why the West decided to trespass, but they are known as reasonable fighters - they won't attack unless provoked. The Southern Empire is in close relations with the Eastern Empire and acquainted well with the Northern Kingdom during wars against other continents. The Western Kingdom is indifferent - if not, uninterested in other monarchies. They don't want to ally with any monarchy - but they never tried to attack us nor expand their territory and are more focused on guarding the continent. It is as if they are satisfied with their land and devote their kingdom to protecting the whole mainland. 

     Of all the reigning royal families in the Middle Continent where we reside, the Western Kingdom is known for its combativeness and prowess. They are the front lines to those who dare invade our continent - it reached the point where the Western Kingdom is called the "The Unwavering First Line of Defence of the Middle Continent". They're always at war with the Western and the Northern Continents - and they never fail to protect our borders. It is given - after all their god is the God of Protection: Bast, who is well-known for being protective of her land and keeper of souls. Though, the Southern Empire still dominates all when it comes to army power.

     "The reigning monarchy of the west won't attack us without cause, Irene," Suho said. "Something, or someone, must have provoked them. My father is well aware of their principles and I've seen how they make decisions. Something is going on without our knowledge."

     "I concluded that too," I answered. "I am assuming one or a group of nobles are working with the underground industry doing all questionable means, and their actions offended the West. I will send a secret investigation after this."

     "Speaking of investigation, how is the situation with the orphanages?"

     "The imperial guards and investigators are still on the case. I received confirmation of the activities all things to the documents and proof given by Earl Park." I bowed my head - apologizing, "I apologize for not noticing. I... failed to see the wrongdoings. The children may not forgive the royal family, and they might think we abandoned them."

     Suho placed his hand on my cheeks - letting me face him. He is smiling, adoring my benevolence. "They won't. You are the great empress of this generation who caught the hearts of the people. Even if they do, you're conducting an investigation, aren't you? Then let us stop this corruption to make it up to them. And Irene... it's inevitable. You are taking care of things in my place and I am here—bedridden. I'm the one who's supposed to be apologizing."

     I placed my hand on his, "Thank you."

   Suho's reaction turned serious - anger is seen. "Punish them, Irene. Show them that the royal family will do by all means necessary to keep order in the Southern Empire." He said. "They abused the fact my father is no longer here in this world and looked down on us—show them that they messed with the wrong imperial family."

     "I intend to do so,"

     A knock disturbed us. My husband's aid entered the room with a bundle of letters.

     "Letters from the Eastern Empire for you, your majesty." He gave the letters to my husband before facing me, "And to you, your majesty."

     The letters written to me were from the Eastern monarchy - inviting us to a banquet for their crown heir. The heir of the Eastern Empire remains to be a mystery - some say it's a boy, some say it's a girl. The banquet will be the first event where the people will see the rumoured heir; hence, why most monarchs are invited. Another letter is from Joy - I'm assuming she will inform me of her return to the South. Joy divorced her cheating husband, and luckily a king from the Eastern Continent fell in love with her and proposed. Since Joy is one stubborn self-dependent woman, it took the king a long time before Joy eventually said yes. The last time I heard from Joy was her giving birth to a girl. The rest of the letters are about imperial matters that I need to take care of.

     "Oh, an approval from the Church in the Eastern Empire," Suho said. He opened the letter, "I see. They agreed with my proposed coalition."

     "Coalition

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter