Irene's POV Part 11

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

After the coronation, I officially began living in the palace. It wasn't part of the empire's custom; however, the court is concerned for the emperor's health. Thus, to ensure the empire's future rulers will stay as it is, I must be within the palace walls at all times just in case a tragedy will occur. 

     I joined the crown prince and the emperor during their meetings in the imperial court – sharing my insights and opinions. Of course, the nobles and the church are pleased with my knowledge and assistance. Other than that, the prince and I spent most of our time together. Before he isn't comfortable with my aloof demeanor, but now he doesn't mind at all. Spending time with the prince isn't a bore – it is comforting, rather. We never had the chance to fully understand each other before so we took the time to get closer. He is a nice man – comforting, gentle, and an idiot (not in a bad way). Suho is like a lovestruck adolescent who would trample if he sees his love interest. Unbefitting for his age and status, but it is worth the laugh. When it was Seulgi, he looked confident, but if it is with me, he looked clueless. 

     "You seem to love the imperial garden, Irene," Suho said. We are currently strolling in the garden – hand-in-hand. "Do you find sanctuary here?" 

     I replied, "Yes, your highness. This is where I find solitude when I am on the brink of breaking. The silence and isolation are comforting—and there are no judging eyes." 

     We both stopped walking. 

     Suho held my hand tight. "I promise you, Irene. I will make it up to you—until death." He spoke. He is sincere – the way his eyebrow meets, the concern on his face, Suho isn't lying. "I want to become the person who will bring you solitude. I will treat you the way you should be treated. I will love you the way you deserved to be loved. You are my empress," he kissed my hand, "My future wife." 

     Ever since the coronation, I spent the whole time assisting the prince with imperial concerns and sometimes I conduct parties with other ladies just to distract myself. The love I have for Seulgi still lingers in my heart. I did say I will stop – but it is still there. Even though I don't see her anymore, or hear her, I cannot stop my heart from yearning for her. 

      I am sorry, Suho—if only I can tell you about this love I have in my heart.

     "Irene," the prince knelt on one knee, while the other supported his body. "We may be betrothed, but I still want to ask you: Bae Joo-hyun—Irene—the crown princess of this empire, will you become the empress who rules with me and marry me?" 

     I smiled. "Yes, your highness. I've been waiting for you to ask me." 

     I still want to become an empress. The only problem is that it isn't Seulgi I am going to marry. The church doesn't allow two genders to get married anyway – saying it is not approved by God. Even now, some people are against such relationships that the emperor received notice. The emperor doesn't mind the new relationship blooming in his empire, but the people in the imperial court are advocating he should do something about it. To them, it is a disgrace – but how could it be a disgrace? When it is just the same as two normal couples loving each other. Because of this, the imperial court is torn into three: those who disapprove, those who approve, and those who remained neutral. 

     The prince informed the emperor about our marriage. It was set to be done in three weeks; however, as the days pass by, the emperor's health worsens. The prince and I don't want to hold a marriage without the emperor, so we concluded to prioritize his recovery and have the wedding after a month. However, some insisted that we should get married as fast as possible. After all, we don't know when the emperor will live. 

     While the prince is taking care of the emperor's duties for the empire, I am taking managing the state of the palace in his place. Joy is assisting me of course, but she will have to leave soon. She delayed her marriage far too long – I don't want to keep her away. After a week, Joy left. I went to her wedding as a special guest – I was already invited even before I became a candidate. The situation just changed since I am now the crown princess. 

     With Joy's absence, I am left without a lady-in-waiting. 

     "If I may," Suho spoke, amidst our dinner, "would you like me to appoint a new lady-in-waiting for you? I know a person who fits the qualification." 

     "Thank you, but I can manage your highness." 

     "I assure you, Irene, the person I have in mind will surely be of help to you. You are both (how do I put this) compatible?" 

     I raised an eyebrow – showing an intriguing reaction. He seemed adamant about this potential lady-in-waiting he has in mind. "You seem confident, Suho." I chuckled, "Very well if you insist then I shall entrust this matter to you." 

     After three days since I had the conversation with the crown prince, I was surprised to see a lady, wearing a silver gown in front of me. 

     "Greetings to the crown princess of the empire." The saint of the empire, Kang Seulgi, said with a courtesy. I assumed that she is here to visit me and the prince, but that wasn't her purpose. "I am Grand Duchess Kang Seulgi—t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter