Seulgi's POV Part 4

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi 

The second stage of the selection ended swiftly with most of the votes ending up in my faction. Now that Irene and I passed, the third stage will determine who will become Regina. Irene is happy for me, but I cannot even express my emotions. Should I be happy? Or, should I be sad? 

     "You seem different, Lady Seulgi." The crown prince said. We are currently in the imperial garden. For some reason, for today's meeting, I just want to walk in this area. 

     With my parasol in hand, I protected myself from the sun and falling leaves. I wanted to go here with Irene but I cannot bring myself to see her. The more I see her, the more selfish I become. I want her to stop aiming as Regina, I don't want her to marry the crown prince. The thought of having her for myself is vexing – I don't like the thought of possessing her. 

     "I think so, your highness." 

     "Did something happen?" 

     I stopped walking and closed my parasol. The day I confirmed my feelings for Irene, I made up my mind to tell the crown prince of my intentions. Although, I cannot tell Suho that I am in love with his fiancée – I cannot bring Irene trouble. 

     I answered, "Your highness, I am sorry." With a baffled look, Suho led me to a bench where we can converse properly. "Forgive me, your highness. I cannot... I cannot become Regina." 

     "Why?" 

     I began to tear up. "I am in love with someone else. I am in love with someone so I cannot become your future empress. I cannot become the crown princess." I finally broke down into tears, "I cannot devote myself to you when my heart is yearning for someone else. I cannot suppress the calling of my heart, your highness. I also don't want to get in the way between you and your fiancée—I cannot be the reason why you will break off your engagement with her. Please, your highness, Lady Irene should be Regina. I don't want to break her highness's heart, so please choose her as your empress." 

     Suho held my hand, "I understand." He said, "I know that you are aware of my affection towards you, Lady Seulgi. I would like to thank you. Thank you for allowing me to see the beauty of my fiancée. I resented her before—thinking she is like the noblewoman hungry for power, when in fact she is just like me who cares for the people of the empire. It was you who made me realize that. I came to love her, my lady. And the reason why I summoned you today was to say that I want to be with my fiancée, but you beat me to it." 

     I knew this would happen and I even prepared myself for it, but this excruciating pain is tormenting me. I am with the fiancé of the person I love, and I am sacrificing my love for her so that she can finally be with him. I, the helpless daughter of a Baron, am a fool. 

     "I liked you, Lady Seulgi. I, at least, want to tell you that before I finally put my heart into Irene." He smiled, "The third stage will happen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter