Irene's POV Part 5

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

We are preparing for the Regina Selection and I wasn't able to see Seulgi at all – I cannot help but feel disturbed. Subsequently, I find myself unsatisfied. I want to see Seulgi – but just by thinking about her, yearning to see her, my heart aches. I never felt this way before so I am clueless about what to do. 

     "Are you not feeling well, your highness?" Joy suddenly asked. I am in the library, reading a book about the Eastern Empire. She placed a cup of tea on the table, "You seem... lost and unhappy." 

     "What? Ah. Sorry. I am fine. I might be a little bit engrossed with the Eastern Empire's law about same- romance happening around. To better understand the situation in the empire?" 

     "I see. That is good to hear." She sighed. "And here I thought your joyful self was just a phase." 

     I raised an eyebrow out of curiosity, "And what do you mean by that, Joy?" 

     "Unlike before, her highness somehow changed. Before, people see you as someone hard to approach regardless of your status, but lately, everyone finds it easy to get along with you. Also, you looked more joyful than before." 

     "Am I? I mean, do I really look like I am happy?" 

     "Yes, Irene." Joy wanted to add something, but she took a moment to think about it. It seems like what she will say next is considered rude. I only stared at her – waiting for her response. She added, "Uhm. I just heard this from the rest of the servants but they said her highness is more radiant when she is with Lady Seulgi than... his highness, the crown prince. I hope that doesn't displease you." 

     "Why would that displease me?" 

     "Because they seem to prefer you and Lady Seulgi together than the prince, so won't that displease you? Other people hoping and thinking that you will end up with your friend instead of your betrothed? Being Regina your wish, your highness—marrying the prince is the only why. Also, don't you find it repulsive that they are associating you with another woman? I am not displeased with the thought, but I cannot tell how you see it." 

     Not that I am against it, I am fine with the thought. What bothers me is what Joy said about my wish as Regina. Yes, it is my goal... but as a wish? It's never been my wish. I want to tell Joy that I am not against the gossip within the palace walls; however, if I do say that, people will think dishonorable activities are happening inside the palace and that will ruin not just the imperial family's reputation but also the candidates. 

    And that somehow displeases me. Denying something... it's aggravating. 

     The Regina Selection began. Things went according to plan not until the poisoning of the prince of a rival kingdom almost caused a war. It all happened during the celebration the candidates prepared; thus, we must find a way to prove our innocence – if not, a war will break out. 

     They say, if one sought an answer that no one can give, one must approach God. The empire is devoted to our God so seek refuge in him and depend on Him. I never like visiting the temple since I don't give much faith in our God, but for the sake of the empire, and because I feel helpless, I decided to give our God a visit. 

     In the prayer room, I spoke to God silently. Here, I am alone with God's spirit. I don't know if He can answer my prayers, let alone hear them, but I am giving all my faith to Him. I don't want a war to break out, and I don't want Seulgi to be in trouble since she is a candidate who is involved as well. 

     "Please... I beg you to hear my prayers." I spoke softly, "I want to spend more time with Seulgi, so please help me avoid a plausible danger." 

     When I got out of the room, I saw the High Priest approaching my direction. We both bowed our heads to each other – giving our respects and greeting. The High Priest is the head of the church – the person close to God and can hear God. I wonder if I consult with him, will he answer my questions? However, some questions I have won't be pleasing to his ears. 

     "Is there something on your mind, your highness?" The priest asked. "I will accept if you deny it, but the agitation on your face says otherwise." 

     I faintly smiled, "Agitation? Is that your new qu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter