Irene's POV Part 2

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene

To announce the candidates for Regina, a banquet will happen. There, the representative of the Imperial Court will announce the candidates. All nobles of the empire are invited, even commoners invited by the Holy Church, as well as ladies from the empire's neighbouring and allied countries. I don't need to go through the celebration to know that I am a candidate (knowing that you are the first candidate is the privilege given by the church). The candidacy wasn't only decided by the imperial court, but also by God. God will be the first person to choose who amongst all women is chosen as the first candidate – and I was that candidate; thus, my candidacy was first announced by the Holy Church. Given by that fact, people stood firm with their belief that I will become the future empress.   

      Nonetheless, I still chose to come to the party.

      "You are the star of today's ball, Lady Joo-hyun." 

      "Indeed. You are dazzling in that beautiful red gown—it suits you! Which boutique did you purchase it? Or, perhaps you had a designer tailor it for you?" 

      "Other noble ladies are envious! I can see their heads turning to our direction." 

      "Even without jewelries and accessories, you are still prominent, Lady Joo-hyun." 

      Same words, same compliments, these noblemen and women are only saying these to feed my ego—hoping to gain my favour. Half-hearted words can easily be distinguished. All I can do is let their words enter my ear and let it slide to the other. 

      Parties such as balls are a bore. Noble men will ask for your hand to dance – and accepting their request will end up sometimes to scandals and rumours. I have danced before, with my father and the emperor (that is), and the prince as well – only after he danced with that girl named Seulgi. Me, the fiancée, the second dance. I still hold an ill feeling about the incident. Not only I was embarrassed, my father reprimanded me – saying that I wasn't doing my duty well. 

      "Is that The Honourable Seulgi of the Kang Family? The lady whom the crown prince asked for a dance last time?" I heard one of the ladies ask. 

      I turned my head to the direction she is facing – and there I saw Seulgi conversing with other noble ladies. She even had nobles from the neighbouring countries enter her circle. At a first glance, one could say she is timid, but the moment you approach her and start a conversation, she is rather confident.

      "Look at that gold gown. It matches her perfectly. Not to mention, her gentle and kind demeanour is pleasing to look at." Another guest added. 

      "I heard from my niece her mother made the gown with the eldest son." 

      "Even the eldest son?" 

      "Yes!" 

      "How unique. To think a man from a noble house to do lady work. Not to mention, a job for commoners to do." 

      One of men changed the topic by asking me, "Who do you think are the other candidates, Lady Joo-hyun? Do you have persons in mind?" 

      "No one in particular." I answered. "Oh. Rather, I think the daughter of the marquess, Lady Seung-wan (Lady Wendy to be precise), could be one. The Holy Church seem interested in her nowadays. I also heard she was one of the ladies the Imperial Court are considering." 

      "Now would you look at that—the saint of the Eastern Empire is here." I faced the direction – and a girl wearing white is surrounded by the priests from the Holy Church. "She's currently the youngest saint in the continent ever appointed. Not only that, she is popular amongst the noble ladies in the east—they even say she had intimate relationships with women her age. We are all aware of those kind of relationship in the east, right? Such thing is occurring here in the empire—both men in an intimate relationships, both women warming the same bed, and the likes." 

      "Saint?" I muttered. 

      "You haven't heard, Lady Joo-hyun? That is Saint Yerim of the Kim Dukedom from the Eastern Empire. Her good-will and divinity

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter