Seulgi's POV Part 6

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi

I returned to the palace after a week. The tension between me and Irene ceased, but there was a gap between us. The third stage of the selection is a complicated process. To determine if the candidate is suitable to bear a child, they will undergo a divinity process led by the church. The priests can hear the voice of God. God will determine if the candidate is worthy to be an empress or not. 

     The Divinity Process will begin through prayer. The candidates will have to wear a white dress as a symbol of their soul. Next, they will be anointed with oil by the altar before submerging through a pool of holy water. We will stay submerged during a quick prayer. Then, we will be citing a prayer to god. Afterward, the process is finished and we will have to wait for the result. God will then give his decision – giving us His blessing and a gift. The priest will approach us and anoint us with divine oil while stating to us our blessing and gift – only then we will know if we can produce. 

     I no longer thought about taking herbal medicine. Regardless of the results, I know the crown prince will still choose Lady Irene. I don't have to sacrifice my motherhood to escape. His highness finally opened his heart to Irene – Irene will finally end up with her fiancé, her betrothed. 

     After the process, the candidates are sent to a room where they can wait for the results. Here it will only be me and Irene in the room with the guards and our attendants outside. The room is like a drawing room, but wider and less suffocating. 

     "After this will be the crowning tomorrow," Irene spoke. 

     "Yes, your highness." 

     She released a sigh, "I wonder what the results will be?" 

     I giggled, "Are you perhaps nervous, your highness?" I sat on the sofa, "I believe your results won't disappoint you. You are fitting to be empress. The people won't call you the "Future Empress" for nothing, Lady Joo-hyun." 

     "Why do you sound like you already know the results?" 

     "Just my intuition, your highness," I answered with a smile. 

     "Hmm," 

     I stood up, walking towards the window. The imperial garden is visible here, though it can only be sighted at the horizon. After today, I will no longer come and visit the garden. 

     Footsteps tapped the floor – the sound coming towards my direction. "What are you thinking about?" Irene whispered in my ear. 

     I flinched out of surprise, covering my ear with my hand, and took a step back. Irene raised an eyebrow out of confusion. She knows that I don't act like this. She asked, "Are you okay?" 

     I couldn't meet her in the eyes. "Y-Yes, your highness." 

     Silence followed. 

     "Why are you calling me "Your Highness", Seulgi?" She asked, with a tone of authority in her voice. "Why are you being so polite?" 

     "I-It's only common courtesy and etiquette to treat her highness with respect." 

     "Is it? Or, you are hiding something from me? You were never like this, and I did permit you to call me by my name, did I not?" She took a step forward, while I took another step back until I met the glass window. Irene grabbed the curtains and wrapped us bother together inside – isolating us both from prying eyes. It is slightly dark – if it weren't for the slight gap in the curtains, we will be surrounded by darkness. "What are you hiding?" 

     I looked away, "Nothing, your highness." 

     "Is it because of the kiss...?" 

     "Pardon me?" 

     "The kiss... in the garden. You're acting strange because of the kiss, are you not?" 

     "No! No. I am not." I slightly push

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter