School

Someday You'll Realize

Part 8

School

 

Finally, we got home. Yes, that's right I called it home. It's the only place that has felt like home since Jonghyun kicked me out. I sat on the couch, unable to move, stiff as a board.

 

I'm no longer important to Jonghyun. At this very moment, her presence is erasing where mine used to be. At this very moment, those puppy dog eyes are mesmerized by her. At this very moment, it is her, instead of me.

 

Honestly, I guess none of the events that happened really hit me yet. Maybe because somewhere deep down I really really really wanted it all to be just a horrible nightmare. Then to wake up from this insane nightmare, to wake up in Jonghyun's arms again.

 

“_____,” Taemin sat down next to me.

 

I looked up at him with teary eyes.

 

“_____, it's okay,” Taemin tenderly pulled me into a hug. However, Jonghyun kept flashing through my mind in this process. I couldn't even concentrate on the fact that Taemin was kindly trying to comfort me. Instead, Jonghyun, the horrid memory of our break-up, the ghastly, melancholy past, and my perfect, plastic replacement.

 

I suddenly whispered, bitterly hating myself for admitting it, “I can't get over him,” I pulled away and looked into Taemin's eyes. “I can't get over Jonghyun. I still love him,”

 

“I know,” Taemin had a sad smile, suppressing his sorrow.

 

“Taemin. I'm sorry. Everything reminds me of him. Everywhere I go, little things will keep reminding me of him. Each memory will come hurtling back at me when I least expect it,” I started sobbing, covering my face, “I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry,” I looked at him, “I don't want to hurt you, but I know my feelings might never change,”

 

Taemin kissed me gently on the forehead, “I know,”

 

I glanced up at Taemin. Though his tone sounded pretty convincing, his emotions failed him. His pain and suffering of this moment was written all over his face. I was breaking his heart. And the look on his face was shattering mine.

 

“We should get some rest,” Taemin stands up, offering a hand to help you up, “We have school tomorrow,”

 

I nodded my head and followed him into the bedroom. Once I reached the comfy bed, I practically collapsed in it. I just lay there, stubbornly not moving, not wanting to use the energy to slip under the blankets. Surprisingly running into Jonghyun completely drained out all of my energy. I couldn't even imagine how I would feel after seeing him in school.

 

Taemin notices how weak I was, my solid brick self just lying there with no movement. In one quick suave move, he lifts me up into a princess cradle and tucks me into bed.

 

Taemin was about to retreat when my body involuntarily lifted my arm, grabbing for him, stopping the stranger I've only known for a couple days.

 

“Don't leave,” Those words escaped my mouth again.

 

Taemin nodded and sighed, “You keep asking me to stay, yet you're going to push me away for Jonghyun,”

 

“I'm sorry,” Those were the only words I could say for now.

 

Taemin sighed once again and hopped under the covers with me.

 

“Well, might as well get a chance to sleep with you. In bed,” Taemin commented.

 

I punched him, “Do anything dirty and I swear I will leave you for Jonghyun,”

 

“No you won't,” His face was inches away, “You may not realize it yet, but you want me more than you want Jonghyun. You love me more than Jonghyun. You want me to stay. And that's something Jonghyun will never do for you,”

 

I was practically drowning in those lovely brown eyes becoming spellbound as these words slid off of his tongue like smooth velvet.

 

Taemin wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him, “If by some twist of fate and you actually try to leave me, I will never let you go,”

 

In the Morning

 

There we were. Standing at the gates of our high school. I gulped terrified of the massive swarm of gossip that could come my way.

 

Taemin held my hand and protectively squeezed it, “Just stay strong,”

 

“Thanks,” I whispered and squeezed back before letting go. Both of us walked across the school courtyard. All heads automatically snapped towards us. Taemin had promised to keep a somewhat distance, just so crazy rumors wouldn't spur. I heard his foot steps about three feet away.

 

“There she is!” Yup it's me.

 

“That's the girl Jonghyun used to go out with? She's so plain,” And what you're a goddess?

 

“Shh. She might hear you,” Damn right I can hear you.

 

“Whatever. She so didn't deserve him,” And what you do?!

 

“I heard that Jonghyun found her cheating on him,” More like the other way around!

 

“Could it possibly be with the guy following her right now?” And of course people start assuming things.

 

“There's no way. He's too handsome for her too.” -________- You people seriously need to get a life and stop basing me on my looks. Sorry for not being entirely attractively like some y goddess from above.

 

With all this said, I booked it to my homeroom. Only to be once again awakened by a horrid nightmare.

 

Right then and there I stared at my doom. Jonghyun and Shin Se Kyung. Both of them at two desks, one of which was mine. Shin Se Kyung was comfortably sitting on Jonghyun's lap. Again, I say overdose of PDA!!!

 

I kept my guard up and walked over to my desk with a calm, composed facade. Though there were many people gathered around the couple, I managed to squeeze through and make my way to my desk.

Suddenly, I noticed Taemin walk in. Huh, I guess he was in the same homeroom as me. Now I feel stupid that I never noticed him. Taemin carefully eyed me and walked over to his desk in the front of the room, the corner desk next to the window.

 

I turned my head away from him to suddenly become face to face with the new couple.

 

“Hi, _____,” Shin Se Kyung greeted me while wrapping her arms around Jonghyun. “How are you?”

 

“Could be better,” I replied, “I liked it better when I didn't have to swim to get to my desk,”

 

“Aw, that ,” She pouted, “But you won't have to worry about that now. I can trade spots with you,”

 

I laughed, “Sorry to say this, but this is my spot. You want it, then come and take it from me,” I threatened, “Or better yet, just lug your boyfriend to your desk because this crowd you created is making me feel claustrophobic.”

 

I'm not having someone like you replace me. I will not have you take away what used to be my whole world.

 

“You're so mean,” She began to fake cry. I just rolled my eyes.

 

“Hey,” One of the people in the crowd yelled at me, “You can't treat her that way. Just because your life now because you got caught cheating, doesn't mean you can take it out on everyone else,”

 

“Yeah!” The crowd agreed.

 

“Just because you're jealous of Se Kyung doesn't mean you have to bully her,” A girl approached me.

 

“Yeah!”

 

The crowd began to bicker more and more nonsense at my face. I just flat out ignored all of it.

 

I looked over at Jonghyun who was just playing with his girlfriend's hair.

 

“Jonghyun,” I said. He didn't look up and continued messing with his girlfriend. “Jonghyun,” I repeated myself, still no reply. “JONGHYUN,” Nothing.

 

I slammed my hand on his desk, silencing the crowd, causing Shin Se Kyung to jump and Jonghyun to finally make eye contact with me. “Really? So you have the guts to spread ridiculous rumors about me cheating when it was YOU who did the cheating. Not only that, but like the pathetic coward you don't even glance in my direction when I say your name.”

 

He said nothing. Silent. Nothing was heard throughout the room.

 

“Class! It's time to get started!” My homeroom teacher entered into the room with her booming loud voice. Everyone scattered to their desks. I sat down in my usual spot next to Jonghyun. For the first time ever, we didn't pass each other notes. For the first time ever, we didn't secretly hold hands under the desk. For the first time ever, our knees didn't playfully nudge each other. For the first time ever, we didn't even glance in each others direction.

 

Suddenly something plopped onto my desk. A folded piece of paper. I unfolded it:

 

Congratulations. You have made it through a total of ten minutes of school.

I'm surprised you've gone on this long.

Keep up the good work!

 

P.S. - I really enjoyed the fact that I slept with you last night ;) We should do it more often.

 

I looked up to see Taemin's head turned around. He winked. He purposefully wanted to make that sound like we actually did something.

 

I used a fat pink eraser and chucked it at his face. Bulls-eye. Taemin's head flew back as it hit him full on. I suppressed my laughter as the teacher continued writing important announcements on the board.

 

For the first time ever, all of my sorrows had lifted off of me. For the first time ever, I realized I wasn't along through all this. For the first time ever, I realized Taemin was right. He could be the strength that would stay with me and help me through all of this.