Meet the Chos

Love³

Miyeon hummed in agreement. "Yes...Uhuh...I understand...bye." She hung up the phone and rubbed her temples. "This should be...fun." 

 

Miyeon walked into the apartment with a small cake in hand. "Babies?" Shuhua popped out of the bedroom wearing only a button down. "Miyeonnie you're just in time..." Miyeon shook her head. "I need to talk to both of you...Do you think you can come out here long enough to talk?" Shuhua nodded furrowing her brows. She collected Soojins shorts from the floor and put them on before walking out. Soojin came out after a moment in a robe. "What's the matter?"

 

Miyeon sighed. "My parents called..." Soojin sighed. "Let me guess dinner? Tomorrow?" Miyeon nodded. "They say they want to congratulate us..." Shuhua crossed her arms. "Do I have to go?" Soojin looked at her. "Shushu...It'll be better if you go. You know Yeonnie is gonna need all the support she can get." Shuhua nodded. "Fine only cause I love you...And you brought home cake." The three sat around the table eating from the small cake until it was gone. 

 

They all wore nice dresses. It was best to dress as nicely as possible to impress Miyeons parents. They had always been the judging type. Miyeon knocked on the tall wooden door. Almost immediately it creaked open. "Mistress Cho! It's been a long time!" 

 

Miyeon bowed to the man and smiled. "How many times have I told you not to call me Mistress Cho? You're my oppa remember? I should be the one using honorifics Chanhyuk oppa" He shot her a smile. "Well I don't like when your parents threaten to fire me and take my only way of paying for my sister's college away." She sighed and patted his shoulder. "Once she graduates you both have a place in the company. My parents don't have any control there anymore." He bowed. "One more year and Suhyun will be done and no more worries."

 

They made their way to the dining room. Miyeon stood at the entrance she laced her fingers with both women beside her. She knew where her parents would sit and she sat opposite with one woman on either side. She took a deep breath. "They're your parents you can't yell at them. They're your parents you can't yell at them." She mumbled to herself. 

 

Shuhua whispered. "If we leave now you know JinJin and I will share ours." Miyeon squeezed her hand. "I love you both so much..." Mr and Mrs Cho walked into the dining room their arms interlocked. "Good evening Miyeon my dear. Miss Seo and...Miss Yeh. Thank you for joining us." Mrs Cho did little to hide the look of distain she felt for the youngest. 

 

"Hello mother. Father." The man pulled out the seat for his wife. "So Miyeon how are things in the company?" Miyeon smirked. "Pretty well now that you have no control." Mr Cho looked angry. "Why can't we just have a peaceful dinner. We brought you here to celebrate your engagement." Miyeon nodded. 

 

Mrs Cho looked to Soojin. "And how about you dear? Still teaching? Those kids haven't tired you out yet?" Soojin smiled politely. "They're lovely kids really. No trouble at all. We've been learning some ballroom dancing recently as there are a lot of older kids going to formals for the end of the year. They've picked it up well." 

 

Mrs Cho smiled. "That marvelous to hear. I'm sure with you as their teacher they will learn it in no time." It was no secret the Chos didn't originally like Soojin but once she graduated and became a teacher they took a liking to her. 'Teaching is a very nobel profession' She remembered them saying. 

 

"And Shuhua what has been occupying your little mind as of late? Since you're currently unemployed." Mrs Cho knew that Shuhua had quit somehow and her words held a lot of tension in them. Shuhua fiddled with her fingers nervously. Miyeon squeezed her hand reassuring her. 

 

"Well ive been preparing for school. I will be in training to be a vet. Classes start next month. I've mostly been keeping up with the house work for now. Always something to do right?" She chuckled as she felt uneasy. 

 

"A vet? Not even a real doctor?" Miyeon glared at her mother. "A vet is a real doctor mother. And Shuhua will be an amazing vet. Do not insult my fiancee like that." Miyeon warned in a firm tone. Shuhua looked down. 

 

Mrs Cho scoffed. "Fiancee.. Did you really think we'd let you marry her? She is only with you for your money don't forget that. At least Soojin here has a respectable job. She'd even be a good mother once you give us grandchildren." 

 

Shuhua sunk further into herself. She felt hot tears sting her eyes. "You will not talk about her like that!" Miyeon stood up. "And you have no control over whom I marry. Did you think if you just kept pretending you had any power I would just go with it? Face it you lost your power when you gambled it away. Lucky for me I already had a portion of your stock in the company. And let's not forget who is living off of who." 

 

Shuhua tugged on her hand trying to distract her and calm her down. "I-It's okay they're just worried." Miyeon knelt down beside Shuhuas chair cupping her cheeks. Shuhua felt Soojins arms around her waist. "I'm sorry Angel I tried to keep my calm..." Shuhua leaned into Miyeons hands.

 

 "C-Can we go home?" Her voice cracked as the tears finally spilled from her eyes. Miyeon nodded. "Yes my angel anything for you. Jinnie would you take her to the car I'll just take another minute to speak with my parents." Soojin nodded giving Miyeon a quick peck. 

 

When the two left Miyeon stood up straight. "I am in love with Yeh Shuhua. I will marry her no matter what you say. She is not with me for my money. She actively goes out of her way not to spend anymore of the money I willingly give her than she has to!" Her voice echoed a bit. 

 

"I have watched her I don't know how many times crying. Telling Soojin and I she had to go back to work cause she thought she was a burden. We have tried time and time again to reassure her she isn't and here you are. Reaffirming her own fears. You are not welcome at our wedding or any other family events until you learn to respect her." 

 

Her parents tried to argue but she turned around ignoring them. on her way out the front door she handed Chanhyuk a card. "Forget waiting I'll take care of your sisters college fund it'll come out of what I pay for my parents to be able to live here comfortably. They better hope they have enough money in that college fund they've been holding over your head." She bowed to him. "See you Monday oppa." 

 

Miyeon made her way to the car and got into the driver's seat. She released a breath she didn't know she had been holding. "I believe some cuddles and ice cream are in order?" She turned to her girlfriends in the back. Soojin was sitting to the right with Shuhuas head in her lap. The woman had been crying almost the entire time. "She's asleep. I'm sorry I didn't help I panicked..." Miyeon shook her head. "I'm the one with the terrible parents. Honestly I don't know why I put up with them this long. I guess I felt like I had to... But I'm cutting them off. What they've done is unacceptable." 

 

Soojin took her hand looking a little worried. "You won't feel guilty? I know you've got a big heart..." Miyeon smiled. "My big heart belongs to the two of you. And I never want to see the same look in her eyes again. They never really treated me like their daughter anyway just an investment. Let's get home and to our bed." Soojin kissed her hand as they drove away. 

 

Later that night Shuhua nestled comfortably in the two women's arms. Her feelings of inadequacy had been successfully quieted for now. One thing was for sure she could always count on them to help her through anything.