Chapter - 18

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Andwae...Andwae...’ Ken stopped his way to the kitchen when he heard Eunji's mild voice. Ken has got up in the middle of the night to get his water bottle from the kitchen that he left forgotten like usual. He walked closer to her room door and listened carefully, ‘Andwae...Andwae...don't go...please...don't go...’ Ken opened the door and his eyes went wide when he saw Eunji struggling with a nightmare.

 

“Eunji...Eunji...” Ken tried to wake her up by calling.

 

‘Andwae...come back...come back please...’ Eunji is still murmuring.

 

Ken sat next to her in the bed and shook her to wake her up from sleep, “Eunji...Eunji, open your eyes...” He shook her face.

 

Eunji opened her eyes, “Kibum-ah...” She said and hugged Ken, “Don’t go Kibum-ah...we need you...don't go...I need you...” she said as her tears rolled down from her closed eyes.

 

“Eunji...relax...it's just a dream...” He said as he didn't know how to bring his hands around her, he hesitated too.

 

There was a silence, quickly Eunji got back and looked nervous, she moved back to the bed headboard and looked at Jong Soo who was thankfully sleeping peacefully.

 

“Sorry” she murmured and got down from the bed and ran to the bathroom before Ken could stop her. Eunji recalled hugging Ken in the bed, cursing herself in her mind; then came back to the room after she washed her face.

 

Eunji's eyes went wide when she saw Ken still standing there for her but she avoided looking at him and got onto the bed, looked at Jong Soo again, and adjusted the blanket for him. She doesn't know how to explain to him, Ken was still waiting for her to talk to him. “It's just a nightmare,” she said without looking at him in a low voice.

 

“Is it about me?” he asked looking at her. Eunji didn't reply, Ken was able to guess what it could be, “Don't think about anything...sleep well, Good Night” he said and walked out. Ken looked at her one more time before closing the door.

 

The next morning, it was so silent in the house. Before Ken would ask anything, Eunji had already prepared everything for him. In the car, it was silent again; Eunji was thinking about the nightmare that she had last night while Ken was thinking about his conversation with Nicole last night.

 

Nicole’s face turned red in anger when Jong Soo popped up on Ken's mobile screen. While Ken was getting fresh up for sleep, Jong Soo was playing games on Ken's mobile, he was interrupted by Nicole's call; as Ken was not there he attended Nicole's video call. Just by hiding her irritation, Nicole gave a smile, ‘Annyeong Kid’ she said.

 

Jong Soo remembers Nicole who he saw in the store with his appa and she was the one who pushed his eomma down so after a thought, “Annyeonghaseyo Kim Jong Soo inimida” Jong Soo greeted back as his eomma taught him to greet and respect elders. Seeing his politeness, Nicole gets annoyed instead of happy.

 

‘Where is Ken? Why are you holding his mobile?’ she asked as she acted sweetly to him.

 

“Ken? It is my Appa's mobile, his name is Kim Kibum” Jong Soo corrected.

 

Hiding her annoyed face, ‘Aniyo Kid, he is Ken, not Kibum...he is not your appa.’ she said.

 

Jong Soo got angry for her words, “Aniyo, he is my appa” he said in a firm tone.

 

‘Aniyo, he is not your appa' Nicole said.

 

“Aniyo he is my appa” Jong Soo again said in a firm and loud tone.

 

“Jong Soo-ah...” Nicole closed when he heard Ken’s voice.

 

“Appa!” Jong Soo dropped the mobile on the bed and hugged him, “Tell Imo that you are my appa” he said pointing at Nicole on the mobile screen. Nicole waved her hand at Ken, and he can understand what conversation she and Jong Soo might have had now.

 

“I will tell her Jong Soo-ah, it's already late...so go to eomma...sleep soon,” he said and kissed his cheeks, and then sent Jong Soo to Eunji.

 

‘Ken!’ Nicole yelled before Ken could talk, ‘What have you done to your hair? For our wedding I need you to be in black...why did you change your hair color...you didn't inform me too...’ she shouted at him.

 

‘Wedding!’ Ken now almost forgot about his wedding with Nicole. He talks with her now and then over the phone but it was not like in the past; just to a known person, he talks with her. As days passed, listening to stories from Eunji, Ken started getting involved in it without his knowledge; he now thinks more about Kibum and Eunji. So now hearing about the wedding from Nicole made him feel uncomfortable and different but tried not to show that to her, “Nicole, listen to me...hair color doesn't matter...” Ken replied in satoori.

 

‘You talk in satoori...’ she exclaimed. Ken realized that his speech got influenced by Eunji because she talks in satoori. ‘It is all because of that ...’ Nicole yelled.

 

“Nicole...” Ken raised his voice as he hated Nicole referring to Eunji in such words.

 

‘Are you yelling at me, Ken?’ Nicole’s voice cracked down. Ken hung his head low in guilt, ‘Look at me...I've got my wedding dress...it’s you, who designed it’ She showed him that white gown she was wearing, ‘Remember?’ Ken recollected how after a mess which was created by Nicole, he came forward to design the dress for her, ‘I want to show you...I want you to be with me now...I’m doing all the work alone for our wedding...but you...you are being with them and yelling at me...’ Nicole cried. Ken shook his head as he didn't know how to convince her. ‘Can't you see how I feel bad when someone's son is calling you as his dad...Come back here...I want you here with me...’ She said as tears rolled down from her eyes.

 

“Nicole...” Ken called her after letting out a sigh, “Look at me” Nicole looked up at him, “Stop crying, I will be back soon...prepare for our wedding” he said and smiled. Nicole smiled and waved happily before she disconnected the call. Ken looked at the calendars on the table; he realized he still has only two and half months to leave for Norwich. 'Time flies so soon' Ken thought.

 

After dropping Jong Soo at his school, still, there was silence in the car. Taemin, who came to drop Naeun at her office, got down from the car when he saw Ken's car. Taemin and Naeun's eyes went wide and their lips formed perfect O when they saw Ken and Eunji in their new hairstyle. Taemin and Naeun looked at each other and smiled as they could see Ken and Eunji like in their college days.

 

“Unnie, you changed your hairstyle” Naeun exclaimed.

 

“Hyung, you are blonde,” Taemin said as he pointed at Ken's hair.

 

Ken and Eunji nodded their heads with a smile as they didn't want them to get disappointed with their bad mood.

 

“Wow...you both look like how you were during our college days...” Naeun said. Taemin and Naeun teased Ken and Eunji, and both tried hard to look normal.

 

“Unnie...these files...” Naeun stopped when she saw Eunji in deep thought when she came with some files to the Eunji table. “Unnie...” Eunji jolted up when Naeun touched her shoulder, “What are you thinking about?” She asked as she sat next to her. Eunji didn't reply to her but Naeun didn't stop, “You looked happy this morning but now you are...what happened?” She asked her to talk about it with her.

 

“I got my old nightmare, Naeun-ah”

 

Naeun got straight up, “Wae? Did you think about anything?” She asked with a suspicious look. When Eunji hangs her head low, Naeun can get a reply. “Wae, unnie?” She asked.

 

“Naeun-ah, days are so less, soon he will go back but still...nothing has changed...he didn't know he is Kibum...Jong Soo doesn't want him to leave but...I can't stop him from leaving us again...I don't know what I'm going to do?” Eunji poured out her heart and covered her face with her palm.

 

“Unnie...” Naeun lifted Eunji's face, “Oppa is changing but it is not quick like we expected...we should wait” she tried to console her.

 

“How long Naeun-ah? We don't have much time” Eunji's voice cracked.

 

“Soon Unnie...he will understand... Don't lose hope” Naeun said encouraging words to her. Even though she was not fully convinced, Eunji nodded and smiled at her words.

 

In the evening when Eunji and Ken came to school to pick up Jong Soo, his teacher called Eunji to her room to talk about an art competition that is going to happen on that weekend in the school. Eunji followed the teacher while Ken and Jong Soo waited for her outside the classroom.

 

“Appa!” Jong Soo tugged Ken's shirt. Ken crouched down at him, “Appa...are you going to work again?” Jong Soo asked in a low voice.

 

“Dae...Appa has to go to work tomorrow morning” Ken said.

 

“Aniyo...for long...again...” he said in a low voice and his head hung low. Ken can understand that Eunji must have spoken with him regarding Ken's plan for going back to Norwich.

 

“Can appa go to the faraway place again?” Ken asked.

 

Jong Soo looked up at him and shook his head, “Appa should not go. Be with Jong Soo” he said in a firm tone.

 

“Appa thought that I should go and come back soon this time...”

“Aniyo aniyo....” Jong Soo shook his head before Ken finished his sentence, “Appa, be with me, I like being with you appa...” He wrapped his arms around Ken's neck, “I love you so much appa!” He said.

 

Those sweet words melted Ken's heart; he always liked Jong Soo, Ken knew Jong Soo’s love was pure and innocent, and that pure love of him made Ken believe in Eunji's words. He hugged him back, “Appa also loves you more Jong Soo-ah,” he said and hugged him more.

On the way home, Jong Soo was talking with excitement about his upcoming art competitions. Ken and Eunji acted like normal before him.

 

“Did you hear from Naeun-ah?” Ken asked Eunji while she was working in the kitchen.

 

“Dae...she said eomonim invited us for dinner,” Eunji said looking at him.

 

“Yes, Today Imo came to the office to invite me,” Ken said next.

 

“Do we have to go?” Eunji asked in a low tone.

 

“Dae...we should go, she came all the way to invite...be ready,” he said and walked out of the kitchen.

 

Mrs.Lee, Taemin’s eomma, has invited Ken and Eunji for dinner to their Lee Mansion. Since she hasn't invited Ken to their home, Mrs.Lee decided to call them for dinner with Taemin and Naeun so that she can spend time with everyone.

 

Eunji was confused and worried about Ken, as because she knows he hasn't thought of himself as Kibum then why doesn't he have to mingle with his friends and families. By hiding her worries, Eunji got ready to go with Ken and Jong Soo. Mrs.&Mr.Lee always treated Kibum as their own because he treated Taemin as his brother. When she heard about Kibum going against his parents to marry Eunji, Mrs.Lee was so upset about Kibum. Next, his death news highly affected her, she couldn't believe it. The next thing she was shocked about was Eunji's decision; like others, she thought it was a bad decision but then she decided to change her decision. But she couldn't be involved much in all because she was already having a hard time with Naeun's eomma after they came to know about Taemin and Naeun's relationship. After Jong Soo's birth, she started helping her - whenever she gets time she visits her, treating Jong Soo as her grandchild. As Mrs.Lee and Mrs.Son met in common because of Jong Soo, both families came in to discuss Taemin and Naeun's future.

 

When Taemin told about his relationship with Naeun, Mrs.Lee didn't object to it instead, she placed a few conditions on Taemin, which she wants in Naeun, to be her daughter-in-law.

 

“She should be pretty” - “Ofcourse Naeun-ah is pretty”

 

“Perfect in work” - ‘OMO she is clumsy’

 

"A good cook, so that she can treat her husband with good food” - ‘Not even tried cooking in her life'

 

Taemin is a professional liar, trying to cover all the flaws of Naeun. Even after marriage, he presented Naeun as a good cook, hiding her burnt foods and covering the broken vase and plates in their home from Mrs.Lee. Sometimes it was difficult to cover up, so most of the time he found excuses not to go to his home. But for tonight, he couldn't avoid the dinner because Ken and Eunji are coming for the dinner.

 

Mrs.&Mr.Lee welcomed Ken and Eunji. Jong Soo was so excited about the dinner because he gets to play with Taemin's dogs, Eve and Adam.

 

“Naeun-ah, place the meat pieces on the grill...make it medium-rare cooked...” Mrs.Lee said to Naeun when they sat down to talk before dinner. As a daughter-in-law of the family, Mrs.Lee wants her to help in treating the guest. Naeun looked at Taemin nervously before nodding her head at Mrs.Lee.

 

“You take care of Jong Soo-ah so that we can talk with Key and Eunji,” Mrs.Lee said to Taemin when he stood up to help Naeun. So in the end, Naeun was left cooking meat alone. In a few minutes, Ken could smell burnt, and saw Naeun was struggling so he made an excuse to Mrs.Lee and walked to Naeun to help. Ken can see Naeun has burnt mostly all the pieces she tried to cook. He helped her in cooking, how to find the medium cooked and fully cooked pieces, how to apply sauce; Naeun appreciated Ken's cooking style and was happy that he helped her before Mrs.Lee.

 

“Naeun-ah cut those fruits for us,” Mrs.Lee said after they finished dinner.

 

Looking at her reaction, Ken understood that Naeun needed help. “Imo, what are those plants that you have planted in that corner of the garden? Can you show me?” Ken asked Mrs.Lee who agreed to show him. Before leaving the place with Mrs.&Mr.Lee, Ken gave a curt nod to Eunji to help Naeun. Before they could come back from the garden, they finished cutting the fruits and Naeun was ready to serve. Naeun gave a thankful smile to Ken when they came back.

 

After a small talk, Jong Soo was playing with Eve and Adam and Taemin was teaching him how to train dogs so that he can train commedes and garcons. Eunji and Mrs.&Mr.Lee had a conversation as Naeun and Ken walked out and sat on the garden bench to see Taemin and Jong Soo playing with Eve and Adam.

 

“What happened, Oppa? You look worried” Naeun asked Ken.

 

“Is it that obvious?” Ken asked. Naeun nodded with a smile. Ken chuckled.

 

“Did you both fight, Oppa?”

 

“Yah...why should we? It was Eunji...”

 

“What did Unnie do?” Naeun interrupted him with her question.

 

Ken let out a sigh, “Did she tell you about her nightmare?” He asked. Naeun nodded at him with a pout face. Ken got a disappointed face, “Why can't she tell me about it? Why can't she tell me what she is thinking?” He asked.

 

Naeun was looking at him with wide eyes, “Oppa...Are you accepting Unnie to talk with you?” Ken didn’t know what to reply, “As far as I know, it was only Oppa who won't tell you what you think?” She said and shook her head.

 

“Really? Am I like that?” He asked with a smile.

 

‘Am I?’ Those words surprised Naeun but didn't show it because he may object if she says he started thinking of him as Kibum.

 

“Dae...you didn't tell Unnie about your feelings for her for a long time?” She said with a smile.

 

--FLASHBACK--

 

Nothing has changed between Eunji and Key even after they came back from the trip. Key looked the same and Eunji didn't remember his words. All she remembers is Key didn't correct her when she thought he had a girlfriend and she even got angry for his behavior as it was teasing her feelings. But every day Key goes to the gym to tease Eunji rather than doing workouts. That day Minho was there when Key came to the gym to find Eunji. To be normal, Key came to Minho to disturb him and also show off before Eunji who noticed Key but pretended like she didn't see him.

 

“What are you doing?” Key asked Minho when he was getting ready to do the treadmill.

 

“Can't you see, I'm going to do treadmill” Minho replied.

 

“I always see you doing it, can't you do anything more? It is an easy one” Key said and chuckled.

 

“What? Easy?” Minho asked in a serious tone, Key nodded, “Then can you do better than me?” Minho's competitive side popped out. Eunji turned to them when she heard Minho's words.

 

“Yes, of course,” Key said with confidence and noticed Eunji was looking at them.

 

“I will go first on the treadmill, try to beat my record,” Minho said. Key nodded and looked at Eunji to make sure she was watching them. Minho set the treadmill to the usual speed which is near to maximum. In a few seconds he was running like a beast on the treadmill; Key made a big gulp when Minho looked at him and Eunji was not surprised because she had seen such a scene before and it's usual.

 

“It's your turn,” Minho said after he finished.

 

“Yah...are you serious?” Key asked with a shocked expression.

 

“Yes, it's your turn...this is my minimum speed...try yours,” Minho said nonchalantly and smiled. Key didn't reply and hesitated to get on the treadmill. Eunji laughed at Key's shocked expression.

 

“Yah...Is it so funny” Key asked Eunji in a loud voice to hide his embarrassment.

 

“Why do you shout at her?” Minho asked before Eunji could reply.

 

“She is laughing as if she can do it,” he said and stood before Eunji.

 

“You can't even do what she does here?” Minho replied.

 

“Huh...what can she do? Rope jumping?” He laughed.

 

“So Key sunbae can do whatever I can do?” Eunji asked Key standing before him with her hands on her hip.

 

“Dae... Bring your skipping rope” Key said and let out a laugh.

 

“I don't do skipping, sunbae,” she said and gave a sarcastic smile. Key looked confused and his eyes went wide when Eunji came back and stood before him with a kettlebell. Minho and Eunji smiled at each other after they saw Key's shocked expression. Eunji took position and did a kettlebell swing nearly 25 times without any break.

 

“Do it, Sunbae” Eunji gave the kettlebell to him.

 

Key didn't expect such power in her body, he looked at Minho who was suppressing his smile, and gestured to him to get the kettlebell from her. “Aish... You're both trying to kill me...” He shouted at them and walked out in embarrassment. Eunji couldn't hide her laugh but stopped when she saw Minho looking at him, it is not a respectful act to laugh at a senior; but in the end, both laughed at Key walking out with his annoyed face.

 

‘He is cute,' Eunji thought for a moment, thinking of his annoyed face but quickly stopped it. From that day, Key decided not to step inside the gym.

 

It's time for their grand university cultural program; all departments are preparing for it; other universities will be invited to perform in various categories and at the end of the day there will be an overall winner. The host university will be performing a host performance at the end of each event. Usually, host universities will always want to be over-shine than the contestant performance so the best performers in the club will be performing host performances and work hard for it. Jonghyun has written new songs and he selected Onew, Eunji to sing those songs for the host performance. Key noticed Eunji has tight-packed schedules - early morning she came to the practice room to practice her new songs, day time goes with classes, assignment and project work so she has reduced her lunch break time and gym time and evening after short practice session she rushes to her part-time tutor work. This made it difficult for Key to see Eunji on the campus.

 

That day during lunch, Key came to check on Eunji, like he expected she was on her way to her classroom after she got only a fresh juice for lunch to utilize the remaining time for other work. Key, who came opposite to her, grabbed her hand and tried to take her with him but Eunji was struggling to get free from his hand.

 

“Stop struggling, don’t grab others’ attention,” he said in a low but serious tone.

 

“Then leave my hand sunbae...I have class” Eunji said to the Key.

 

“Just follow me now” he took her with him to his car before she started struggling more. Eunji tried to get rid of him but also without others' attention. “Get in the car!” He pushed her inside and locked the door.

 

Before she could talk he came to his driving seat, “Sunbae...what are you doing? I have class” she said and tried to open the door.

 

“It is locked. Stop fighting. Come to the place where I take you” he said.

 

“No, I'm...” Eunji stopped when Key came close to her without listening to her, got the seat belt from her behind, and slowly he made her wear it. Eunji got chills in her body and her heart fluttered because his face is so close to her and she can say that he can feel her breath on his face.

 

“Let's go!” Key said before looking at her and smiling. Eunji didn't reply, just looking at him as she was still in a half-frozen state.

 

Key took her to a restaurant and as a gentleman, he escorted her inside the restaurant which made Eunji blush and she liked it too. Key ordered a lot of dishes on his own and Eunji told him that she wouldn't eat after all the dishes were served.

 

“Yeah...don't eat because you can't eat as much as I can,” he said as he showed off the grilled beef before her face. “I can challenge you in this,” he said and gave a wide smile.

 

“Are you saying I can't eat?” Eunji asked after she let out a small laugh, Key nodded as he bit a big meat piece. “Sunbae...” She called him in a serious tone, “You don't know how much I eat?” she said and rolled up her sleeves, “I can finish all these at once” she said. Key gave a bitter laugh and shook his head. Eunji gave a sharp stare and took her chopsticks with a determined face.

 

As Eunji was eating, Key was looking at her with a smile. After halfway through she notices Key was watching her and through his smile she understood that he played a trick to make her eat. “I won't give you any...Sunbae, order if you need” she said with full. Key nodded and ordered noodles for him.

 

“Don't skip your meal” Key said as he ate his noodles, “My Halmeoni always says don't skip the meal for your work” he said.

 

“Your girlfriend?” Eunji looked up at him.

 

“Dae...My girlfriend...She used to feed me a lot” he said.

 

“Do you miss her?” Eunji asked.

 

“Hmmm...I miss her a lot...after this cultural program, I'm planning to visit her” Key said.

 

“Cultural program?” Eunji murmured and after a moment of thought she looked at Key, “Sunbae...” She called him in a low voice. Key looked at her, “Is it true that you performed in your first year?” She asked. Key nodded as he leaned back on his seat, “Will you do a performance this year?” She asked next. He shook his head, “Wae?” Eunji asked immediately after she got straightened up.

 

“I'm not interested,” he said. Eunji didn't reply to him, and her head hung low, “Did you see my performance video?” he asked.

 

Eunji looked at him and shook her head; Key smiled and leaned forward, “Then how do you know about my performance?” He asked.

 

“Those junior girls were talking...they wanted to see it...” Eunji said as she tried to avoid his eye contact.

 

“So you don't want to see my performance again?” Key asked, suppressing his laugh.

 

Eunji shook her head without looking at him; Key still got a smile on his face as he knew Eunji wanted him to perform, “Okay!” He said and smiled at her.

 

As a host university, all departments were working hard to give their best. Naeun and Key from the art club did a lot of artwork for others' performances. As Key's costumes in the college play were good, he was asked to work on costumes for cultural per

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter