The Accident

Close Your Eyes

 

KEAN’S POV

Tomorrow will be my birthday already. My whole family will come. And Jooyeon will come back. I’m so excited. After a while, I received a message from Jooyeon.

Fr: +01713***** (Chingu^^)

“Kean, I’m sorry. I can’t come in your birthday. Someone offered me a scholarship in France and I accepted it. We’ll be leaving tomorrow so I’m really sorry. But I will deliver my gift there.

To: +01822*****

What?? Jooyeon’s not coming?? I was really excited for her coming back and this??

The next day, I woke up early to fetch my family in the airport. My mom, dad and sister came from San Francisco. I’m so excited to see my parents again and to see my sister. I was patiently waiting when I heard that their plane will arrive in 5 minutes. Before 5 minutes end, everyone heard a very loud sound. It doesn’t sounds like an explosion but a PLANE CRASH. Everyone went outside to see what happened and we saw the plane on fire on the fields. NO! This can’t be! Are my parents there?? Is my sister there??

The ambulance and fire trucks went to rescue people inside the plane. I was really hoping for my family to be saved. I hope they’ll be safe. The rescue team one by one helped the people to get out of the plane. I was waiting for my parents to come out but no sign of them. The only one I noticed was a little girl crying and she looks like……….KRYSTAL! I immediately went towards her and hugged her. She pointed me two persons lying on the floor. They were Mom and Dad! No! This can’t be! They can’t leave us! MOM! DAD! Wake up!!

“Oppa! Will mom and dad still wake up??” she asked while crying.

“I don’t know. I don’t know.” I answered as tears keep on falling from my eyes.

The doctor checked my mom and dad. We were really nervous. After the doctor check them, he said

“Are you their son and daughter?” He asked and I answered, “Yes. How are they??”.

”I’m sorry.” The doctor said and left.

I’M SORRY?? That’s it?? Is he sure about what he said?? This can’t be! This really can’t be!!

After about a week, Krystal and I went to mom and dad’s burial ground. We still can’t get over from what happened. We didn’t even talk to each other before they died. After that, we went home again and we saw our aunt outside our house.

“Aunt, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“Since your parents are gone already, I’m going to be the one to take care of you from now on. We talked a long time ago already. Your mom and dad said that if they’re gone, I should promise to take care of the two of you.” Aunt answered.

Because of what happened, no one provides us with our needs anymore. Our family business fell after what happened. Now, we have no choice but to sell our house. When the house was sold, we stayed at aunt’s house. She is just alone at their house since she had no husband and children. Her house is not that big because she is just a teacher.

The next day, I decided to find a job but I failed. I tried to apply to many shops and restaurants but they won’t accept me for I have no experience and I’m not suitable for those jobs. I want to give Krystal a good life even though we’re longing for mom and dad and I don’t want us to be a burden to aunt.

When I went home, I saw my music boxes so I thought if I could sell those. I put a table outside the house and displayed my music boxes. Before the day ended, they were all sold out. I counted my money but it’s not enough. I will just make more music boxes and I will sell them again tomorrow.

I bought the tools and materials that I will need to make those music boxes and when I came back, aunt already prepared our dinner.

“Kean, where have you been?” Aunt asked.

“I bought the materials that I will be using for my music boxes.” I answered.

“You sold your music boxes already?” She asked once again.

“Yes. We don’t want to be a burden to you auntie so I will just open a new business.”

“Good. But you know it’s alright. It’s my pleasure to raise my niece and nephew. Your dad is my only brother and I promised him that I will take care of you.” She explained.

After eating, Krystal and I went to our room and I started to work on my music boxes. Krystal went to me and suddenly hugged me.

“Oppa, promise me that you won’t leave my, okay?” She started to cry again.

“I promise. And I also promise that I will give you a good life even though mom and dad are gone.” I answered as I carried her to my lap.

Krystal is just 15 years old. I know she’s still not used with our life today. I know I can’t really give her a life just like what dad gave her but I will try my best. I fondled her hair and remembered something….THE NECKLACE. I must have given it to her on my birthday but because of too much depression, I forgot to give it to her. I took it from my bag and wore it on her neck.

“Oppa, what’s this??” She asked while looking at the necklace.

“It’s a necklace. It’s really for you. I forgot to give it to you on my birthday so I just gave it to you now. Don’t lose it okay?” I said.

“Okay oppa. Thank you.” She said as she kissed my cheek.

My dongsaeng is really cute. I hope she’ll not grow up because when she grows up, many will court her and take her from me. She’s the only reason that I’m leaving today. My life will just be useless if she’s not here.

I sent her to bed and as I was staring at her, I remembered Jooyeon. I was not able to tell her about what happened. I just want her to concentrate on her work and I don’t want her to be worried.