Happy Birthday!

Close Your Eyes

 

JOOYEON’S POV

As I open my eyes, I saw Taemin in front of me. He was smiling and it seems like he’s hiding something at his back.

“Surprise! Noona! Happy birthday!”, he said cheerfully as he showed me a box wrapped in colorful wrapper.

“What’s this??”, I asked.

“Before you open it, take a bath first. Somebody’s waiting for you outside.”, he said.

“Okay. Tell him or her wait. It’s so early yet we already have a visitor?”, I answered as I get my towel and enter the bathroom.

Today is my 18th birthday. I’ve already been living in this world for 18 years without my parents. 18 years of pain. I never celebrated my birthday with my parents. Only Taemin, my bestfriend and I are always celebrating my birthday. But I’m really thankful for atleast, there are still people who cares for me.

After I took a bath, I went outside my room and saw Kean waiting for me.

“Happy birthday my dear bestfriend!” Kean greeted as he gives her a hug. “Did Taemin give you my gift?”

“Oh yes. But I have not yet opened it.” I answered.

“Open it now. I really exerted some effort in making that just for you.” He bragged.

I opened the gift. When I opened it, it was a Ballerina music box. The ballerina is dancing gracefully on top of it as the music plays.

“Did you like it?” Kean asked.

“Absolutely. Thank you bestfriend. You never fail to make me happy in my birthdays.” I said as a drop of tear fell from my eye.

“Look at the bottom.” He said.

I checked the bottom of the music box and there was something written there. It says “KEAN & JOOYEON bestfriends forever”. It made me more emotional. I was so touched with his gift. Even though I may not receive many gifts on my birthday, I’m contented of what he’s giving to me. His gifts can’t be compared to any other gifts for he made all of those by himself.

Kean, Taemin and I went out to celebrate my birthday. As usual, Kean spends everything. He doesn’t want me to spend even a centavo for my birthday and he said, I’ll just save it for future use.

We really enjoyed a lot. He brought Taemin and I home then he went home too. When I lay down on on my bed, I thought of something. I should not just depend on Kean. I know he’s willing to help me if I’m in need but I know it won’t last forever. Someday, he’ll get married and he should think only of his family and I should not add up to their expenses. So I decided to go to Seoul to find a job and I will bring Taemin with me and we will be leaving tomorrow. I sent Kean a message so he will know about our plan. Upon receiving the message, he went back to our house and we had a little talk since it will be the last day that we’ll see each other.

“Are you sure you wanna go?” He asked with a husky voice.

“Yes. I don’t want to just depend our life on you. You’re just my bestfriend. You’re not our provider. We must live on our own from now on. But don’t worry. We’ll still see each other again.” I answered.

“I understand. But why is it so fast? I hope you can come on my birthday. Mom and dad will be coming. Also my sister. We’ll be complete in that day. But it won’t still be complete unless you’ll be there.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll come back on the day of your birthday. I promise.” I said as we made q pinky swear.

“Are you sure? Then I guess it’s a goodbye. You should be extra careful okay? Seoul is a big place. It won’t be easy for you to live there.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll be fine. Thanks for your concern. I think you should go home now. It’s getting late.”

“Okay. Bye bestfriend.”

Kean left and as their car move away, I noticed a crystal necklace on the road where their car was a while ago. I kept it first and I’ll just return it to him tomorrow. When I entered our room, Taemin was already sleeping so I just prepared the things that we’ll need.