Beautiful Goodbye

Close Your Eyes

 

KRYSTAL’S POV

It has been almost a week since I last saw Taemin. Where could he be? Why is he not attending class? Are they having a vacation with his sister? *sigh* I want to see him now. Better call him.

“Taemin. Please answer.”

I tried many times but he’s not picking up any of my calls. After class, I passed by Taemin’s house just to check if he’s there. I saw his room’s light on. I was about to ring the doorbell when his light turned off. I thought that maybe he’s already sleeping so I just went ahead.

Next day was Saturday. I have nothing to do so I decided to go to his house. Before I ring the doorbell, Jooyeon noona went out.

“I’m sorry Krystal but Taemin is not here right now.”

“Where is he unni? And why is he not attending classes?” I asked.

“I doesn’t feel like attending.”

“What? But why?”

“If you’ll excuse me, I just arrived so I’ll take a rest first.”

“Unni. wait. You’re acting weird.”

“Just come back some other time Krystal.”

“But unni…”

“Krystal, to tell you the truth, I don’t want you to love my brother anymore.”

“What do you mean unni? I thought you liked me for him.”

“I don’t want you…………….”

“But why unni? What have I done to you?” I asked in tears.

 

JOOYEON’S POV

I don’t want you… to be hurt. That’s what I’m gonna say, Krystal. Forgive me. I don’t want to see you sad for you are my best friend’s sister. I hope you’ll understand.

“I’ll do anything unni. Just let me love your brother.”

“Come with me.”

I brought Krystal to my bedroom. I showed her the music box that Kean gave me on my last birthday. I showed her the bottom of the music box where there is a “KEAN & JOOYEON best friends forever” written.

“You’re my brother’s best friend??” Krystal asked.

“Yes.” I answered.

“If you’re my brother’s best friend, then why don’t you want us to be together with your brother?” Krystal asked.

"You don’t aunderstand. I just care for you.” I answered.

“Care for me? How?”

“Do you really love my brother?”

“Yes. I really really love him.”

“I know that you’re living on your own now…………….”

“And you don’t want your brother to be with a girl with no family?”

“No. I just don’t want you to be alone again.”

“Alone? How could I be alone? he promised me that he’ll never let me go.”

“Do you really think he can’t break that promise? Will you still love him if you find out that he’ll be gone a few minutes from now?”

 

KRYSTAL’S POV

My eyes widened and immersed with tears. I became speechless and I don’t know what to do.

“Now, come with me. I’ll show you what I’m talking about.” Unni said.

Wewent to the hospital and when we entered his room, more tears flowed from my eyes.

“Taemin, I have a surprise.”

Taemin opened his eyes slowly and smiled. I went to him, knelt down and held his hand.

“He has a brain tumor. He said I’ll hide it from you but I think it’s for everyone. You have to know.” Unni said.

“Taemin! Do think hiding it from me can help?!” I said.

“I’ll just leave you first so you can talk.” Unni said and went out.

“Taemin! I hate you! I really really do!” I said.

“Don’t say that. If I will be gone right now, will your conscience not bother you for saying those last words?”

“No! Why do you need to keep it from me?!”

“I don’t want you to worry.”

“Who told you I’ll worry about you?”

“Just looking at you, I know that you’re more than worried.”

“Whatever!”

“Krystal. I thank God for sending you to my life and for letting me love such a wonderful girl like you. And it hurts me a lot to see you cry because of me. I’m sorry.” Taemin said as tears fall from his eyes.

“I’m really sorry for I’ve been to weak that I have to leave you alone. I’ve been to week that I can’t give you the “forever” you wanted. And it really kills me because I let you love me and I let you think that I’ll give you happiness for the rest of your life. I’m really really sorry.”

“Don’t say that. You won’t leave me. I know that you will be by my side forever just like what we promised to each other.” I said.

I hugged him and he also hugged me like this will be the last time we’ll be with each other again.

“Stop crying. I hate seeing you like that.” Taemin said.

“I know you’re crying too. If I’m in your place, won’t you cry as well?”

Taemin wiped my tears slowly pulled my head towards him. We slowly kissed each other….. for the first… and last time.

 “I told myself that I should stay strong until I’ll see you again for the very last time. I’m still living because of the thoughts of you…….. And now that you’re here, I think it’s time. And I think heaven had waited too long for me……..I…….LOVE YOU.”

Taemin’s eyes are barely open. No words can describe what I feel right now. I feel like pins and needles occupy every portion of my heart. Taemin was sent to the operating room and I was left alone inside the room with my eyes closed. I feel like I don’t want to see anything from the living world anymore.