thirty

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
30

 

 

 

It is a peaceful day for Jongin. It is very rare for him to have a lot of free time in a week.

Since he has nothing else to do that day, and he would like to kill the time, he decided to pay Yeonhee a visit at the gallery. 

The last time he met Yeonhee was two weeks ago at her home, the day Sehun called him to ask for his help about buying the building. Since then, he hasn't meet her, but he has been keeping tabs on how she's doing. Thanks to Seulgi who texts her almost everyday. 

His visit to the gallery is of course without Yeonhee's knowledge. And of course his visit to the gallery caused the staff to start gossiping among them. Jongin is donning an elegent Armani suit which indeed awed the staff there. With his handsome face, of course people would look twice at him and would wonder who he is. 

"May I help you sir? Would you like a tour?" a lady asked him, the receptionist. 

"It's okay, no thanks. I'm looking for Jung Yeonhee. Is she here?" he asked politely.

"Yeonhee-ssi?" the lady replied in surprise. "I'll get her for you. Wait a moment".

News travels fast. Within a few minutes almost all the staff there know a handsome guy is looking for Yeonhee. Since no one there ever knew about Yeonhee's private life, they become curious. No one there knew her status. None of her colleague knew she's a married woman. But they did speculate it a bit since Yeonhee always rejected anyone who tried to make any sort of advances towards her and the reason she gave will always be 'I'm a married woman'. Of course it's hard to believe because nobody ever met her husband and she didn't wear any ring at all.

When her colleague informed her a handsome guy is waiting for her at the reception, she thought Namjoon dropped by to check on her. But she's wrong. 

The moment she saw Jongin standing next to the reception counter her eyes went big and round. "What are you doing here?" she asked Jongin.

"Let's have lunch together" Jongin replied.

Yeonhee looks at Jongin suspiciously. "Just the two of us?"

"Yes. Just the two of us. Like a date" Jongin answered happily.

"Date? Are you trying to get me killed? Sehun and Seulgi will kill me, you know that"

He lets out a loud laugh like Yeonhee just said something funny. "Sehun is in a meeting... so no, he won't know. And Seulgi, she will not kill you, she asked me to check on you. Besides, I myself want to know how are you doing"

"You shouldn't call it a date. It sounds so wrong"

He laughs again. "You are one innocent lady. Okay, not a date. A meeting between two friends"

"Hmm... Okay.... fair enough"

"You know... a date is not necessarily between lovers. It can be between friends too"

"But it still sounds wrong to me"

He looks at Yeonhee with admiration. She's like a little sister to him now. The feeling to protect Yeonhee is strong. 

"Can you wait for a minute? I go and get my stuff"

"Sure"

 

 

They go to an Italian fusion restaurant nearby. One of the best Italian restaurant in Seoul. Jongin ordered their famous dish, Gnocchi, while Yeonhee ordered her favourite pasta of all time, mushroom raviolli.  

"Eat all you want Yeonhee. My treat" Jongin said excitedly.

"I don't really eat much" Yeonhee replied shyly.

"I have to tell you... you need to eat more because you are getting skinnier. Sehun will notice sooner or later. You will have to tell him about your condition"

"I.... I can just say I'm on a diet"

"Yeonhee.. He has the right to know. He's your husband"

"You really sound like Namjoon oppa right now"

"Well we are right, aren't we?"

She sighs heavily. "You don't understand...."

"So... make me understand" Jongin replied with a smile.

She bites her lower lip, staring blankly ahead outside the window. "Well..... you know he doesn't like me. He hates me since god knows when.... and we all know he never wanted this marriage", there's a long pause for a while, "...I'm just scared. I'm scared if he... if he stays the same. I'm scared if he still hates me even if he knows my condition. It will really break my heart to know that I don't even matter to him at all"

"If... Yeonhee that is if... You are talking about the things you are not sure of" Jongin stresses the word 'if'. "Trust me he won't treat you like that. He doesn't hate you. You still matter to him. You always matter to him"

"No... I am nobody to him, you know that" she said sadly. "Even if he changes... I'm sure it will be out of pity. Or maybe out of guilt. That will break my heart even more"

Jongin immediately puts down his fork and spoon. He pinches the bridge of his nose out of frustration. It frustrates him how stubborn Yeonhee can be.

Looking at Jongin's reaction, Yeonhee sighs and bites her lip. "I'm selfish, am I?"

He sighs heavily, "No... you're not.... You are just.... looking after yourself"

"He deserves to have a happy life. It's obviously not with me" Yeonhee calmly said. That calm tone somehow scares Jongin. 

"Hey.... don't say that. What happen to the Yeonhee who never gives up?"

"That Yeonhee... she's no longer there" she answered slowly but loud enough for Jongin to catch that.

Both of them fall quiet for a while. They keep eating without saying anything until it starts to feel a little bit awkward. 

"Can I ask something?" Jongin asked. There's something he's been wondering for a while.

"What is it?"

"Hmm... When did you discover about the tumor? Was it during the time Sehun was in Japan?" he asked carefully.

Yeonhee doesn't say a word. She just stares at her plate in front of her.

"It's okay if you don't wanna answer it. I know it's personal. Forget I asked"

"It was way before that" she slowly said. There's a long pause before she continues, "I don't feel well for quite some time. So I went for a check up at Seoul Medical Centre. That was when I met Namjoon oppa again. I got my result a week later... and you know the result.. the tumor. I was so lost when I got the result. I tried to convince myself it was just a dream but it wasn't, unfortunately"

"So that's how Namjoon knew about the tumor" Jongin asked, followed with a nod from Yeonhee.

"I was so devastated I need someone to talk to. I wanted to tell my friend, Mina, but she's dealing with something else at that time, I don't want to trouble her with my problem. So I thought I should tell Sehun. I went straight to his office but.... lets just say I came at the wrong time. Well.. he warned me before not to ever come to his office but I thought that day would be an exception.... But.... "

"What happened? You didn't tell him?"

Yeonhee shakes her head. "No.... I didn't. It wasn't a good time. It was my fault anyway, I shouldn't have come"

Jongin wants to ask more. He wants to know what happened but then he realizes one thing. He realizes the time that Yeonhee meant. He was there the time Yeonhee went to Sehun's office. It was 'that' day. That very day he tra

Please log in to read the full chapter