eighteen

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
18

 

 

Yeonhee cried the whole night because of the things Sehun said to her. That was not the first time he trampled her heart. She actually expected that kind of reply, but still it hurt her so much, broke her heart into pieces. That's why she woke up the next morning with swollen panda eyes. 

"Oh . I look awful. I'm like a distant relative to a zombie" she said to herself after looking at the mirror.

She cleans herself and get ready for the day. Just when she's about to put on her make up, she feels a sharp pain on her left chest. The pain is really strong, stronger than those she felt before. She takes a deep breath. Breathe in, breathe out. A technique she learned to deal with pain. After a moment, the pain finally subsides. She's not stupid. She knows her condition is getting worse because the pain is getting stronger even she never skipped her meds.

As she's about to leave the house, she can still hear water running in Sehun's bathroom. She lets out a sigh of relief. "I should hurry" she said to herself.

Because she really doesn't want to bump into Sehun that morning, she only drinks a glass of plain water and rushes to the door. But then she stops and turns her head, staring at the fridge contemplating if she should leave Sehun a note like usual.

She shakes her head and turns the door knob. But then she stops again, still contemplating. "Naah, I shouldn't"

This time, she's about to step her foot outside the door, she takes another glance at the fridge. She lightly bites her lips, "You're such a fool Yeonhee" she muttered to herself. 

She ends up going back in and leave a note on the fridge for Sehun as usual reminding him not to skip breakfast. 

 

 

Yeonhee has just finished conducting her art workshop with children. She wasn't feeling very well this morning but the joy of working with children makes the pain go away. 

One by one parents come and fetch their child until only one girl left.

The little girl starts to feel sad, she is about to cry.

"Aigoo cutie Rahee. Don't be sad, your parents must be stuck in the traffic. They'll be here soon"

"My parents are busy but my uncle promised to pick me up and bring me to the themepark later. Looks like he forgot about me" the girl said sadly.

"Your uncle will come, okay. Maybe he's stuck in the traffic. How about I give you another set of painting project?"

"I can do it while waiting for samcheon?"

"Sure! You can have all the supplies here to yourself"

The girl's eyes immediately lit up. She's no longer sad.  

After half an hour, finally there's a knock on the studio's door.

Yeonhee slides the door open and to her surprise, a familiar man is standing in front of her.

"Jongin-ssi? What are you doing here?" she asked in surprise.

"Samcheon!!" the little girl exclaimed, running directly hugging her uncle's long legs.

Before Yeonhee could ask anything, Jongin says it first, "My niece"

"Oooh, so you are the uncle. Hey are you okay now? How's your leg?"

"Me? I'm perfectly fine now"

"You know you're late, aren't you? She's about to cry when she's the only one left"

Jongin squats down to the same level as his niece. He softly pinches the little girl's cheecks and smiles to her. "My dear, I'm sorry okay. My fault for being late. Samcheon will treat you ice cream after this. How about that?"

"Really?! Yay!!! But can seonsaengnim come too?" she said and looks at Yeonhee with puppy eyes.

"Me?" Yeonhee asked.

The girl nods excitedly and turns to her uncle, "Please..."

"Okay, only if she's okay"

Then both of them look at Yeonhee.

"I.... Well... I think I can take a break for a while" Yeonhee gave in.

"Yay!!!" the little girl jumps happily.

 

The three of them end up at Baskin Robbins, just a block away from the gallery. 

Jongin takes out his phone and take a candid photo of Rahee and Yeonhee. Without hesitation, he updates his social media with the picture he took. 

After a few minutes, his phone rings, an incoming call from Sehun.

"What the hell dude? Why is she with you and Rahee?" Sehun asked the second Jongin answers the call.

Jongin lets out a laugh. "Wow. Easy dude. Jealous much?"

"Jealous my "

"Rahee has an art workshop here"

"So you are a babysitter today?"

"Today is uncle-niece day out. I'm still on leave and I'm getting bored doing nothing at home"

"If it's uncle-niece day out, why there's another lady tag along?"

"You are one jealous dude!" Jongin said while laughing his heart out. He continues "It's Rahee's request. She wants to have an ice cream treat with her. Why? Uncle Sehun wants to join?"

There is a long pause from the other line which makes Jongin smirk.

"Come here right now, we're at the Baskin Robin a block away from the gallery. She and Rahee are currently busy choosing their ice cream. I'm sitting at the corner table near the bay window"

Sehun ends the line on that instant and rushes there without wasting any second. Luckily his office is just a few blocks away. He can reach there within 10 minutes on foot.

 

 

Yeonhee is laughing happily hearing Rahee's funny stories, but then Rahee suddenly exclaimed "Uncle Sehun!!"

Yeonhee's heart drops as she heard the name.

The little girl happily jumps from her chair and immediately hugs her uncle's friend.

"Wh.. What is he doing here?" Yeonhee asked Jongin half whispering.

"Why not? His office is just around here, so I invited him too" Jongin answered nonchalantly. 

Sehun pulls the chair next to Jongin and sit there, which is infront of Yeonhee. His heart is beating rapidly. He expects Yeonhee will ignore him considering the things he said last night was a bit cruel. But as their eyes meet, Yeonhee lightly smiles at him.

"Hi.." she greeted him with a smile. It makes his heart beats twice faster.

He wants to greet her back but Yeonhee turns her attention back to Rahee. That little girl is still not finished with her funny stories.

Jongin then starts telling stupid jokes. Rahee as usual will laugh at whatever jokes her uncle tell her, and Yeonhee laughs as well. She's not faking it, she's really enjoying her time. This makes Sehun realize he hasn't seen Yeonhee happy like this for so long.

After about half an hour, Yeonhee got a phone call from her colleague. It's time for her to return to work.

"Well that's my cue" she said.

"I still want to play with you" Rahee pouts.

"Come on kiddo. Time to go. She needs to work. We'll play again next time" Jongin said to his niece.

The little girl obeys her uncle, she then hugs Yeonhee and Sehun before leaving.

"See you guys next time" Jongin said and he heads to a car stopped not far from them. It looks like he has his own personal driver.

"Wow, he has a chauffeur" Yeonhee said.

"Actually, he still has trauma. He still can't drive for now" Sehun said.

"Hopefully time will heal him" Yeonhee replied.

They both stand at the side of the road waving goodbye to Jongin and Rahee until the car is out of their sight.

"Come on, I walk you back to the gallery" Sehun said which very much surprised Yeonhee.

"You don't have to. It's just a block away Sehun-ssi"

Sehun ignores Yeonhee's refusal. He insists "Let's go"

Yeonhee doesn't want to argue so she just lets Sehun has his way.

They walk side by side without uttering a word.

Then Sehun starts to speak "About what I said last night..."

Yeonhee immediately cuts him, "There's nothing going on between me and Jongin. Don't worry, I won't smear your image and reputation. I was just granting Rahee's request. How could I have an affair with your best friend. Besides, he has Seulgi-ssi"

"What are you talking about? I'm not accusing you anything with Jongin. Hold on, how do you know Seulgi?"

"Ooohh... Well... Ermm.. I heard Jongin said that name a few times. So.... she must be someone important right?"

Just when Sehun wants to argue back, Yeonhee cuts him again "Okay here we are. Thank you for walking me Sehun-ssi. Bye" 

She smiles at him briefly and walks straight inside the gallery without turning back.

For Sehun, there are so many things left unexplained. He is wondering why he feels Yeonhee is becoming more and more distant. A lot of questions a

Please log in to read the full chapter