twenty-seven

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
27

 

 

Sehun is standing outside a jewellery store looking at the earring displayed inside the glass. The smile Yeonhee gave Jongin when he gave her a brithday present is still fresh in his mind. He wants that smile too and he's too dense to realize he is indeed jealous. Yeonhee always gave that genuine smile to him since they were a child but that smile had disappeared for a while. And now he can see it again but too bad it's not for him.

He never knew about Yeonhee's head injury. She never said anything to him about it. He admit that he was very angry that night but he never wanted to hurt her. It was purely accindental but it makes him guiltier than ever. 'Why did you keep it from me Yeonhee?' he thought to himself.

After awhile standing there looking at the jewellery displayed, he enters the shop and buy the latest earrings there.

Earlier this morning his mother called him. She told him to drop by at their residence to get Yeonhee's birthday present. His mother is currently in Singapore for a charity event. She wanted to send the present directly to Yeonhee but she accidentally put their residence address instead.

Sehun then went to the Oh Residence right after the call. He got curious at what his mother had bought for Yeonhee. After much deliberation and hesitation, he carefully unwrapped the present box. It was a white lace blouse from Burberry. It's so pretty and elegent. The moment Sehun laid his eyes on the blouse, he immediately pictured a pair of earrings that might complement the beautiful blouse. 

'A pair of earring would be nice' he thought happily. But stupid Sehun doesn't want Yeonhee to know the earring is from him. So he will just let Yeonhee know the earrings are also from his mother.

 

 

 

"Eomma asked me to give this to you. She's in Singapore right now"

"A present?" Yeonhee is surprised. She didn't expect that. "Eomonim texted me yesterday. That's more than enough. I didn't expect she'll give me a present" Yeonhee said with a cheerful smile. 

She carefully unwraps the present. The moment she looks what inside, she smiles widely. Clearly she is happy.

"Do you like it?" Sehun asked. 

"Of course. They are pretty. The earrings are so beautiful" she replied with a smile. She flashes that genuine smile while looking at her present. The smile that Sehun wants to see. And he unconsciously smiles too. 

"I remember when we are still a kid, you love having a birthday party" Sehun said.

"Yes.... I did" Yeonhee replied with a smile.

"But until we were like eleven or twelve, there were no more party"

"You remember? I thought you didn't notice. Well... I decided to just have a small birthday dinner. Just my family and yours, and a few of my close friends. But you were never there, you always had your own plans, every single time" she said carefully. Sehun couldn't tell from her tone whether she is still sad about that or not. It's true he never showed up even though his mother got furious at him. At that time, he really despised Yeonhee.

"I... Well..." Sehun tried to come up with excuses. But what excuse can he give? 

Yeonhee looks at Sehun and smile, "Don't worry, I'm not mad at all. I totally understand"

That sentence makes Sehun feels guilty even more. "Did something happened? I mean you suddenly refused big celebration. Why?"

Yeonhee stares blankly ahead. "I was eleven when I started to understand that my birth has actually caused my mother's life. It feels so wrong to celebrate my birthday". There's a long pause for a while. Then she continues, "But appa assures me it was never my fault. They knew having me would risk her life, but she insisted to keep me. Appa always reminded me to live happily because eomma would want that"

She keeps on smiling while talking. It's like she's picturing her whole family in her mind while talking. "Well... he's right. Life is a blessing itself. It's the most beautiful gift from eomma. But I still don't want any party, a little celebration is okay. I just want to enjoy that day, having dinner with the people I love is enough for me"

Sehun feels bad that moment. But he really doesn't know how to respond to that.  If Jongin wasn't there on her birthday, she would have her dinner alone. 

She quickly snaps herself out of it, pushing away the sappy feeling. "Well... I should call your mother. I should thank her for the present".

"No!" Sehun quickly stops her. That makes Yeonhee startled a bit. 

"I mean... Now is not the perfect time. I talked to her just now. She's tired and she needs rest" Sehun said. His mother doesn't even know about the earrings. His secret would be blown out so soon if Yeonhee calls his mother. 

"Okay... if you say so" Yeonhee replied.

Sehun prays hardly that Yeonhee will never bring this up whenever she meets his mother soon. 'Please please please god just let this thing slip off her mind'

 

 

 

That night after dinner, Yeonhee feels a strong pain in her stomach. If she could rate the pain, it would be eleven over ten. She knows her health is getting worst. During these past few months, she has been depending solely on pain killer. That's how she was ab

Please log in to read the full chapter