thirty-two

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
32

 

 

 

It's an awkward morning for the both of them the next day. They don't avoid each other but none of them say anything at all. Both are in the kitchen preparing their breakfast before going to work. Sehun is brewing his morning coffee while Yeonhee is preparing her sandwich. The silence is so loud one could even hear their breathing. 

Sehun knows he is in the wrong here. He admits the fight last night started because of him. If he remained cool and calm when Yeonhee started to talk about separating ways, things won't go this way. And yes, he too finally admits to himself that jealousy played a big part last night. As for Yeonhee, she felt bad as well but she still couldn't see that Sehun cares about her more than ever before. She too did a lot of thinking last night but she concluded that she picked the wrong time. Sehun being jealous never crossed her mind at all. She's too focus on letting Sehun go it fails her to notice Sehun's feelings towards her.

While Sehun is sitting on the bar stool sipping his morning coffee, Yeonhee walks closer to him and put a box of sandwich in front of him.

"I'm sorry about what I said last night. It's my fault" she said to him carefully. She musters all her courage to apologize first.

Sehun curses himself for letting Yeonhee apologize first. He is actually planning how to apologize to Yeonhee while sipping his coffee but he's too late, Yeonhee beats him to it.

He looks at Yeonhee intently and smiles, "I'm sorry too. It was my fault as well".

Yeonhee can see that Sehun genuinely apologizes this time. She admits that she shouldn't rush with her decision. But considering her health condition, she's worried she might not have much time. "I won't talk about it until you're ready" she said.

Hearing that, Sehun sighs. 'Let's never talk about it', he said to himself in his mind. This time he is in his right mind, he just let the subject go hoping that Yeonhee will never bring it up again. For the first time since their marriage, he feels the urge to hug her tightly. "Thank you, for this" he said pointing to the sandwich box.

"Don't let your stomach empty" she replied with a smile. Without wasting any second, she gathers all her things and ready to leave for work.

"Ermmm.. Yeonhee... You can ride with me" Sehun offered.

It takes a while for Yeonhee to respond, "Thanks but I think I'll pass. I promised my colleague I'll meet her at Yongsan station. We'll head to work together"

That actually disappoints Sehun. "Okay... urm... you sure?"

"Yes. Thanks anyway. Drive safe" she replied and leave straight away.

 

It is actually not that far from their home to Sehun's office or the gallery. Normally it is only 20 minutes drive. But due to high congested traffic, he reached his office after 40 minutes. Luckily he is still early because his meeting is pushed back an hour.

While preparing notes for his meeting, he eats the sandwich prepared by Yeonhee. He automatically smiles at the first bite thinking about her. 

At that exact moment he got a message from Yeonhee. She sent a picture of her and her colleague taken at the station with a message:

'I didn't lie to you if you are wondering.

Have a nice day :)'

His eyes stare at Yeonhee's picture and his heart skips a beat. Automatically his lips form a big smile. By now he knows he's already fallen. He quickly types:

'Yoo too. Take care'.

He is not new to love but it is definitely different this time. Very different from those times with Yeri, Sora, and Hyebin. Before this, he was the one who made the first move, he proudly professed his feelings to those three. But this time he couldn't find the right way to tell Yeonhee how he feels. He finds it hard to express his feelings not because he is a coward, not because he doesn't have the courage, but because he feels deep regret and remorse since he has been treating her so bad for so long. He wants to make things right but he is still finding the right way to do so. So from now on, he decides to take everything slowly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Day by day, week by week, time passes by quickly. Both of them are in good terms again. Sehun never skipped his dinner with Yeonhee. He'll try his best to reach home early. He is happier than before, even Jongin can tell. However, everytime Jongin asked him 'How is it between you and Yeonhee?', he will give the same answer over and over again 'We are good friends now'. He never tells a soul how he actually feels about Yeonhee, not even to Jongin, his best friend.

As for Yeonhee, she still sticks with her decision even though Sehun is a lot nicer to her than before. She believes Sehun only sees her as a friend, nothing more than that, and she has long accepted that. Besides, her health is not getting any better. She falls sick easily now. The tumor has caused her to be immunocompromised. It's still there, still very risky to be removed and it affects the function of her body. 

"You remember Aunt Helen?" Sehun asked after dinner.

She nods but throws him a weird look wondering why he suddenly mentioned that lady's name.

"She invited us to her housewarming party tomorrow night" Sehun said.

"She moves back here?" she asked.

"Yes, she is back for good... unfortunately" Sehun replied with a long sigh.

She laughs at Sehun's reply. Everybody knows Sehun doesn't like Aunt Helen. Well... almost everyone doesn't like her, and everybody wonders how her husband can stand her.  "I still remember you didn't like her back then" she said.

"I still don't like her and I don't think I would ever" he said with a clear annoying tone.

Aunt Helen is Sehun's relative. She is notorious for being bold and rude. Not to mention she likes to judge everyone around her. Her presence always brings in negative vibes. It's a miracle how everyone around her never turned their back on her. Whatever hurtful things she ever said, everybody just let it slide. 

"Hey... I remember I saw she said something to you on our wedding. You were clearly uncomfortable after that" Sehun said bringing up the past. He saw Aunt Helen said something to her that day and he still remembers Yeonhee's face turned dark right after that. She looked like she was going to burst into tears but she tried hard to smile like nothing happened. But at that time he resented Yeonhee so much he didn't give a damn. 

"It's... It's nothing... I.... I already forgot about it" she hesitately answered, obviously lying. How could she ever forget what Aunt Helen said to her that day? It was hurtful.

"Come on tell me Yeonhee, what did she say?" Sehun asked. He's becoming even more curious.

"Let's just forget it.... I dont even remember... "she still tries to hide. 

"Yeonhee... What did she say?" Sehun asked once more. This time his voice is full of authority. He can sense something did happen back then.

Hearing Sehun's voice makes Yeonhee nervous. She clears , "It's not that important anyway..." she replied, still trying to dodge the question again.

Sehun gives her that 'you-are-lying' look. He gets up from his chair and walks slowly to her until he is standing right in front of her. "Tell me, what did she say to make you turned all gloomy that instant?" he asked again.

Yeonhee still doesn't want to tell him. She keeps shut, biting the corner of her lips trying to think what else to say to Sehun. It's obvious that Aunt Helen had said something hurtful to her.

Since Yeonhee is so keen on keeping shut, Sehun gets closer to her step by step. Every step he takes further, Yeonhee takes a step back retreating until her back hit the counter top. Now she is trapped and has no way to escape. He slowly bows his head a little so his face is now the same level as Yeonhee's. Their face are really really close to each other it makes Yeonhee more nervous. She

Please log in to read the full chapter