ten

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
10

 

Yeonhee

"Miss! Miss! Are you alright?" I hear a voice and I feel like someone gently shaking my shoulder. I slowly open my eyes. At first, my vision is quite blurry, but after a few seconds my vision becomes clear. 

A man stares at me with a worried look. He keeps on asking if am I alright. "I.... I'm fine.. Ouchhh" I answer but stutter a bit. I'm still in shock. My mind and body both in shock. 

"How did I...."

"I push you away from the car just in time. Are you okay? Can you sit?"

"I think so..." I try to sit but my hand and head hurt. "Ouchh"

"Oh god! Miss, your hand! It looks bad. I'm sorry I push you too hard" he said apologetically. I look at my hand. There's a deep scratch on my palm and my left arm but my right arm seems fine. My head feels a bit dizzy but I think there's nothing wrong. Thanks to the snowcap I'm wearing.

"No no don't apologize. You saved my life. I think I'm okay. Go help other people" I replied. 

"You stay here okay. Paramedics will come soon" the man said then he runs to tend other victims.

The scene started to be surrounded by other people. Some just come to watch, some are trying to help.

The car that was swerving to my direction crashed into a large tree nearby while the truck ended crashed into a building. This is really bad. How many casualties can this be? 

My body is aching everywhere especially my head and hand. And my heart is beating very fast. I realised I just escaped death. Had the man didn't save me, I'll be lying dead here.

I try to get up. Maybe I can help other people. I can see a few pedastrians lying unconcious on the ground. Whether they were hit by the car or the truck, I do not know. I can still remember clearly the car was stopping at the red light when the truck came out of nowhere. I walk to the car since it is just a few steps away from me. The man that saved me is trying to help the poor driver.

"Do you need any help?" I asked.

"What are you doing? I told you to stay put. You are injured miss. You should just wait for the paramedics" the man asked surprised. 

"I think I'm okay. I can...." I couldn't finish my sentence as I look at the driver.

Oh my god it's Jongin!

"Jongin-ssi?? JONGIN-SSI??!!" I tap his shoulder lightly. His body and head are covered with blood.

"Miss, what are you..."

"I know this man! I have to help him!" I plead. I don't care about my injury anymore. I need to help Jongin.

The man looks at me briefly. Maybe he doesn't want to waste time arguing with me so he just let me help. "Okay, let's see what we can do".

Jongin is trapped. We are trying to get him out but the tree is blocking the door and a huge branch crashed on top of the passenger's seat. He's very lucky the branch didn't fall on top of him. That could be fatal.

"The door is stuck. We can't do much. You keep talking to him. Keep him awake. I'll go search for help" said the man.

I nod at him. Jongin's condition right now is really bad. I am shaking, terrified witnessing his state right now. Thankfully he's still conscious. I can hear him mumuring like he wants to talk.

"Jongin-ssi. It's me Yeonhee. Look at me. Look at me. You're gonna be fine okay. I promise you. Hang in there, help will come"

"What... happened?" he said in a very slow voice.

"You are in an accident. Stay with me Jongin-ssi"

"Argggh. My leg..." he is shrieking in pain. 

"Shhh...Don't move. Hang in a bit. Help will come. I'm here with you. Everything will be okay. Hmmm" I keep on talking to him. Giving him moral support. His condition is really bad. I can see a bone at his shoulder popped out, his clavicle I guess.

I hold his hand and say "Look, I'm here okay. Don't give up. You have to stay alive".

He's about to lose conscious and I quickly tap his hand. "Stay with me please. Okay how about we count to 100 together. Hmm? Okay? By the time we finish counting, the paramedics will be here. Okay, one... two... three..." we keep on counting. As long as his voice can still be heard, that's good news.

It seems like luck is on our side. We are on seventy-two when the man that saved me appears with a paramedic and three firefighters. 

They analyse the situation in a few seconds. Then one of the firefighters comes closer to me and Jongin. "Miss, you have to step back. We're going to get him out. We'll save him"

"But I need to make sure he's awake" I replied refusing to step back.

"You've done great miss, let us continue. Please step back. He will be fine" the firefighter said. I nodded and step back.

I never thought I will see a firefighter doing a rescue before my eyes. All this time I only watched it on tv.

"Miss, let me look at your wound" said the paramedic to me while waiting for them to get Jongin out.

"It's just a scratch. Don't mind me I'll be okay. That guy in the car needs help more than me. Please help him" I replied.

After a few minutes, they manage to get Jongin out and place him on a stretcher. They quickly get him into the ambulance. 

"Miss, you wanna ride too? Are you his wife?" asked the paramedic.

"No no no. He is my......" how to tell them that I know him but I don't know him?. "I know this guy. He's my friend's friend. I can come along right?" 

"Okay come on. We need to get you checked too at the hospital"

Along the way from the scene to the hospital, I keep holding Jongin's hand while watching the paramedic stabilizes his condition. Few tubes go in and out of his body. It's so excruciating watching someone trying hard to save someone's life. 

"Do you feel any pain miss? You are injured yourself" the young paramedic asked me while busy keeping Jongin alive.

"Just a little scratch. I'm okay" I answered.

"That wound is deep. You need to get it cleaned otherwise it'll cause infection. If you feel any pain, let the doctors know at the hospital soon"

"Okay. I will. But, is he going to be alright?"

"We will do everything we can to save him"

I look at Jongin. He's still awake but barely. The neck braces, tubes, and all those medical stuff on his body terrifies me. I don't know anyone

Please log in to read the full chapter