thirty-seven

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
37

 

 

 

 

Yeonhee is trying her best holding her tears. Seeing the excitement on her brother's face with his family getting ready to move to Japan stirs up her emotion. She is happy seeing his brother happy but at the same time she is sad to be far apart from him and his family. And to think this might be the last time she could see them, it is truly devastating for her.

"I'm going to miss all of you" Yeonhee said to her brother and gives him a big long hug.

"Japan is not that far. If Sehun is okay, and if it fits his schedule, come and spend Christmas with us" Yunho offered an invitation.

She smiles at his invitation. Yunho sees it as a happy smile but it is actually a bitter smile. 

"I don't think we can come. Christmas is just three days away oppa. He can't change his schedule out of sudden" Yeonhee giving out an excuse. It just went out smoothly from .

Nobody knows what is going on behind close doors. It has been almost a week since Sehun left. Everyone thought Sehun is on a business trip. Even his parents and Jongin think so too. 

"It's okay. You can come anytime, not necessarily on Christmas" Yunho who is still clueless replied. 

Yeonhee doesn't say anything then. She just gives him a warm smile trying her best to act like her life is fine.

Then it's time for Yunho and his family to enter the gate.

"Oppa.... I love you oppa. You know that right?". She hugs him one more time before he enters the international departure gate with his family.

"Heyyy.. why are you acting like we won't see each other again? Japan is not that far kiddo" Yunho said as he returns the hug as well.

"I'm gonna miss you oppa"

"Me too kiddo. See you again"

She waves him goodbye with a heavy heart because this might be the last time for her to see her brother. She actually wanted to tell her brother about her condition but seeing how busy Yunho was, and how excited his wife and daughter, she cancelled her intention. Plus, the fight with Sehun almost a week ago makes her lost interest in life.

She hails a cab instead of riding the train because there's a place she needs to stop by: her lawyer's office.

Thanfully the traffic isn't congested. She arrived at her lawyer's office about half an hour later. Before she enters the building, she looks up to the sky inhaling the winter breeze. "Now I'm all alone. What's the point of having surgery? I have nothing to fight for anyway" she said to herself.

 

 

"You sure about this?" Lawyer Shim asked her for the last time.

"Yes. This is the best for everyone" Yeonhee replied. Both of them are sitting on the mahogany sofa facing each other with a few documents laying on the coffee table.

The room is a cosy room with a modern interior where it should bring a happy atmosphere but sadly the atmosphere is the opposite of it at the moment.

The lawyer takes a deep breath and say, "Please sign all the parts that I marked". 

Without hesitation, she picks up a pen and signs every part marked as instructed.

"When.... will it become official?" she asked. Her tone is soft and calm but anyone can catch a hint of sadness in there.

"Right after the other party signs the form as well, I'll process everything straight away. It might take a few weeks"

"Okay. I'll bring the forms to him within this week. Then you can contact him to retrieve the forms. I'm sure he'll give the documents to you in no time"

"You know there's no turning back, right?" the lawyer asked.

Yeonhee calmly nods because she is very sure of her decision. After Sehun left almost a week ago, she did a lot of thinking. She has been in deep thought for days and it ended up to this, letting everyone go.

Within the span of a short time, she has planned everything, 'what to do before leaving everything behind'. Meeting Lawyer Shim is first thing in her list, which is the hardest part. Next, she's going to meet her in laws. Not to come clean with them, but to spend one final moment with the people who have been there for her since her birth to the world.

 

 

 

She plops herself on the soft cosy couch in the living room. It has been a busy day for her. Right after she sent off her brother and his family at the airport, she went straight to her lawyer office. Then she went for an early dinner with her in laws. Meeting her in laws was apparently as hard as signing the divorce papers. 

Throughout the whole dinner, she maintained a happy face like everyhting is fine until her mother in law asked her, "Is eveything okay between you and Sehun?".

A mother's hunch is always accurate.

Yeonhee was caught off guard. Luckily that conversation happened when her father in law went to the restroom. It was only her and Sehun's mother. She asked her mother in law instead "Do you trust me if I say everything will be fine?"

At that moment, Sehun's mother could tell something is going on. But she thought it's a normal fight between a husband and wife. "Of course. Just keep in mind that I love you Yeonhee. You are like my own daughter". 

The sincere love showed by her mother in law did sway her heart a bit but she is firm with her decision. She loves Sehun parents just like she loves her own but this time she needs to be coldhearted. Leaving is her final decision and she is firm with it. 

She looks at a picture frame on the console table, a picture of her with Sehun's parents. Slowly her tears drop down her cheeks. Carefully she holds the picture and brings it closer to her chest, hugging it dearly.

"I'm really sorry eomonim, abeonim.. I have to go.. This is the best for everyone" she sobs while holding the picture.

Without wasting anymore second, she heads to her room with the picture frame in her hand and starts packing her stuff. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeonhee

The weather is getting harsh since last night. The temperature dropped down to -10 degree. It's not good for me because my weak body cannot tolerate the cold weather. I'll fall sick easily. However, that's not an issue right now because I am very determined to go and meet Sehun today, to put a stop to our uncertain marriage, my one-sided love. I still love him, I really do. But I love myself too. I need peace, I want peace. Besides, I don't have much time left. 

With all the strength I have in me, I take the morning flight to Jeju Island. Yes, I know where he is. It's actually not that hard for me to figure out where he went. Unlike last year, I had this strong pride in me. Even though Sehun didn't tell me where he went, I actually could figure it out easily if I asked his secretary; but I didn't because it will hurt my pride. What will his secretary think if I ask him myself where my husbend went? I have my pride too. But this time around I put aside my pride and asked his secretary where he went. Whatever his secretary want to think about me, I don't wanna care.

Jeju is not that far from Seoul. Since I took the early morning flight, I arrived quite early. It's only 10 o'clock in the morning but I'm already standing at the entrance of Grand Hyatt Jeju. 

I take a deep breath before proceeding to the reception. The Oh's family has a share with the Hyatt Group so Sehun will definitely stay at the Presidential Suite. However, it's not that easy for me to meet him since no one can have the access to the Presidential Suite floor other than the guests themselves.

"How can I help you?" a receptionist asked.

"Well.. ummm.. I would like to surprise a guest staying at the Presidential Suite. Can you help?"

"I'm sorry maam, we cannot let any stranger access the floor without the guests permission. May I know who you would like to meet?"

That takes me a while to answer. "Oh Sehun"

"Owwwhh. Mr Oh Sehun is our VVIP guest. I need to ask for his permission before granting you an access. But he's in a meeting right now and he left an instruction to us not to disturb him until he's done"

'Meeting? Right. It's not a weekend today. Of course he is working'

"When will he be done?" I asked. What a dumb question. How can a hotel staff know??

"We honestly don't know... but I can call his suite to check on him after a few hours. He might be done at that time"

"Sure. That will do"

Am I nervous? Of course I am. I don't know what his reaction will be when he finds out I'm here. Will he get mad? Or has his anger subside?

I take a look at the time. I don't think he'll be done soon. This might take a few hours. So I head to the coffee shop, to kill the time while waiting.

Never in my life I felt how waiting can be so agonizing. Even so, I still wait patiently. But after almost five hours of waiting, I feel something is off. My chest feels tightened. Maybe because I'm too tired, my body needs to rest. I quickly do the breathing technique I was taught. Slowly inhale and exhale.

'Please dear body. Don't do this. Please stay strong. Just for today'

Just when I feel like I'm about to pass out, a voice calls out my name. "Yeonhee...". I know that voice, the voice that I've been missing, the voice that I've been longing.

Magically, the pain subsides. As soon as I heard that voice I feel fine. Like almost instantly.

He then sits on the chair in front of me looking at me with an unfathomable expression. I can't tell whether he is surprised or mad at my presence.

I throw him a warm smile. But he is stiff as usual. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

I'm hoping he'll ask how am I doing but he asked that instead. Even though his tone is like someone asking out of concern, it does hurt my pride a bit. 

"To meet you" I answered slowly but enough for him to hear that. 

We look at each other for a while. He doesn't look mad or annoyed. He doesn't look happy either. I can't tell what is he feeling right now. 

"Yeonhee... I told you I'll come back when I'm ready" he said in a soft tone but to me it sounded harsh. 

He really hates me, right?

"I'm afraid I couldn't wait that long" I replied. 

I slide a paper bag to him accross the table, a present for him. "You didn't come home for Christmas. So I prepare this for you"

"I was..... busy" he replied. He looks at the paper bag briefly then he hesitately accepts my gift.

There's a long awkward pause after. 

"How have you been?" I asked breaking the awkward silence.

"I'm fine" Sehun replied nonchalantly. He sits there looking at me with crossing arms. 

Now his face turns serious and I can feel the cold demeanour radiating. It really shaters my heart though it is expected. "It's strange...." I blurted.

"What is strange?" Sehun asked.

"I've prepared so many things to say, but now I'm here I don't know what to say" I replied.

No response from him. 

So I continue, "Well I.... I know it's hard for you to believe me, but I'm saying it again, Namjoon oppa and I are just friends. Like I said I was sick and he was there just to help me go through it"

Sehun scoffed. Seeing his reaction, I smile bitterly, he still can't see the truth. I want him to know the truth but he'll end up pitying me. But I don't want to be pitied. It's better for him not to know, right?

"Do you come all the way here just to say that?" he asked. I can tell he is still mad about that day.

'I come here all the way because I miss you'.

But that only echoed in my mind. His question was left unanswered.

"Do you know how it felt to be lied to?" he asked in a very serious tone. Well Sehun has a point here. He has the right to be mad. After all, he has been left in the dark for so long. If I were in his shoes, I'll get mad too. Who in the world like to be lied to? 

"I'm sorry.... I'm sorry I lied. I'm trying everything right now to make everything right"

He lets out a heavy sigh. Is that a sign he had enough of me?

"Yeonhee... you should go home" he said.

Yes, he had enough of me.

"Home?.... You mean our house? Your parents bought it for you. It's your home. It's not mine. It never was" I said half whispering but I'm sure he can hear it.

I don't think I can do much anymore so I think it is time for me to leave. After all, I came here not to patch everything back up, but just to see his face one last time. 

I stand up slowly getting ready to leave.

"I think it's time for me to leave. Thank you for your time and I'm sorry I come unannounced"

Sehun abruptly stands up too. There's a split second I thought he'll tell me to stay but hey... who am I kidding. I'm expecting too much. He stands up but nothing come out of his mouth. 

"Thank you for everything. Goodbye Oh Sehun". Then I leave without looking back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun

I gulp down a glass of warm water right after the meeting ends. Thank god it's virtual meeting. It's easier to have virtual meeting like this. These past few days have been tiring. I purposely make myself busy to distract myself from thinking about Yeonhee but no.. it doesn't work. I did forget about our problem while I'm working but the minute I stop and take a rest, my mind automatically think of her.

I left our home more than a week ago. It wasn't an easy decision. I'm not running away from problems, I just need some time away. Do I miss her? Oh hell yes, I miss her a lot. So much that I feel like my heart is bursting out. But as much as I am missing her, I am still angry and mad. 

I look at the clock. It's almost 3 pm. No wonder my stomach is growling. I haven't eaten anything since morning other than a slice of bread.

At first, I want to order anything from the room service. But thinking that I haven't gone out since yesterday, it would be nice to step out for a fresh air. 

While heading out of my suite, I am contemplating whether I should have my lunch at the coffee house or go for a drive. Driving on the coast of Jeju is scenic.

Yeonhee would definitely like it. She likes nature very much.

Okay... here we go again. My mind is so incredible it can relate anything to Yeonhee. 

Please log in to read the full chapter