twenty-nine

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
29

 

 

Everybody is shocked. They look at each other and none of them utter a single word for a while. 

"What is going on Yeonhee? Sehun told me you went to Busan. What is this?" Jongin asked Yeonhee breaking the silence.

"You shouldn't be here" Yeonhee replied without answering his questions.

With that unsatisfied reply, he then turns to Namjoon "And you! You knew about this?!". He is really furious at Namjoon.

Namjoon got tongue-tied at that moment. He never thought they will get busted because he's very sure everything is under control. 

While Jongin is bombarding Yeonhee and Namjoon with questions, Seulgi remains still reading the file in her hand. It doesn't take long for her to understand Yeonhee's condition. It breaks her heart when she discover the truth.

"What is going on? Either you tell me or I call Sehun this instant" Jongin asked furiously.

Yeonhee stays shut for a while, she bites her lower lip, "It's nothing. I was just feeling unwell"

"Come on Yeonhee stop lying. We are not stupid" Jongin said in full frustration.

She looks down on the floor while her hands are fiddling. She's obviously nervous and scared. "I... I have... multiple tumors.... on my lung, liver, and heart. So I lied about Busan to everybody... because I went here instead for surgery" Yeonhee answered slowly like a scared kid. 

"What?? Tumor?" Jongin asked in disbelief. He turns his head to Namjoon again hoping that this is all a lie but the look on Namjoon's face tells him everything. Yeonhee is not lying, she's telling the truth.

His face totally changes that instant. The super furious look on his face totally disappear. "And you keep this from Sehun? This is serious Yeonhee" he asked. This time his tone is no longer furious. 

"It's my choice to keep this a secret", there's a long pause for a while, "they.... they removed the tumor anyway". Yeonhee then stumbles a bit because she starts to feel uncomfortable on her chest. 

Namjoon notices that so he quickly says to Jongin, "I think you should leave. She needs rest"

"You stay out of this!" Jongin retorted angrily at Namjoon. If look can muder, Namjoon could be probably dead by now.

Seulgi who has been silent the whole time finally speaks, "Have you met the cardiologist?", which instantly confuses Jongin. Her face is serious but her eyes are filled with concern. 

"Cardiologist? What for?" Jongin impatiently asked. He is confused for a while. 'Shouldn't she meet an oncologist or general surgeon?' he thought.

Yeonhee keeps shut again. All eyes are on Yeonhee waiting for her to say something. She looks at Namjoon and he slowly nods his head as if he is telling her 'It's okay, it's gonna be alright'.

She sighs, and finally tells them, "They couldn't remove the tumor on my heart. It's still there"

Seulgi looks at Namjoon hoping for a deeper explanation. 

Namjoon clears his throat then he explains,,

 "Not all tumors were successfully removed. While we were trying to detach the tumor from her heart, she crashed down. We almost lost her. We don't want to risk her life. It's best to close her up and refer to a cardiologist for the meantime".

Jongin is becoming more frustrated. He pinches the bridge of his nose trying to calm down.

"How long has this been?" Seulgi asked more. 

"Almost... a year" Yeonhee replied hesitately.

"Almost a year?!!" Jongin shrieked. "You've been keeping this from Sehun for almost a year?!"

"Please don't tell him!" Yeonhee pleaded.

"You are being ridiculous Yeonhee. He needs to know. This is serious!" 

"No!! No, please!! Please don't tell him!"

Jongin shakes his head ignoring her plea. Yeonhee starts to break down into tears. "You said you owe me your life before. I never asked anything in return but now I'm asking you this, please, please keep this a secret from him"

She puts aside all her pain right now and walks towards Jongin with one hand clutching on her chest bearing the surgical pain. Dragging the iv drip stand along with her, she stands right in front of Jongin, "I'm begging you Jongin-ssi. Please keep this a secret"

The next thing happen stuns everybody in the room. Yeonhee slowly gets down on her knees even though she's really in pain.

One hand still clutching on her chest, and the other hand gently clutching on Jongin's leg. Everybody hear a faint sob "Please Jongin-ssi. I don't want him to know"

Jongin is too shocked by that. Never once in his life a person beg something so badly from him. Not to mention kneeling in front of him crying. His heart breaks looking at Yeonhee right now. Ever since that accident, he started to be nice to Yeonhee, and since then too, he started to see Yeonhee like his little sister. So for him to see Yeonhee begging and crying like this in front of him, he feels so helpless and it really breaks his heart. 

Jongin's body couldn't move beacuse he is too shocked at the moment. A very calm Seulgi quickly get down next to Yeonhee. She gently holds Yeonhee's shoulders on both sides and slowly makes her stand up on her feet again.

"Take a deep breath Yeonhee-ssi. Don't strain yourself too much. We won't tell Sehun about this okay. He will not tell him" Seulgi said, referring 'he' to Jongin.

"But...." Jongin tried to reason.

"You will not tell Sehun, understand" Seulgi said once again to Jongin. 

Jongin lets out a really big sigh. "Fine.. But I can't promise anything" 

"Now you go and rest. Joonie, we'll take our leave. You'll take care of her right?"

"Of course"

Namjoon quickly assist Yeonhee to get her back to bed while Seulgi practically drags Jongin out since he refused to go.

 

 

Jongin and Seulgi end up having their lunch at a nearby cafe eating sandwiches instead.  

The truth that they just discovered overwhelmed both of them.

"We are not going to say anything to Sehun. Okay?" Seulgi said while munching her sandwhich.

"Why are you so adamant about this? He has the right to know" Jongin asked.

"I somehow get it why she keeping it a secret" 

"What do you mean?"

Seulgi shakes her head and sigh. She finds it a bit difficult to explain to Jongin about this. "You see.. I thought I only know Yeonhee for a few months.... but I actually have known her for years through you."

"Me?" Jongin asked pointing at himself.

"Everytime you talked about Sehun, she was mentioned too. I started to know bit by hit about her till the point I know about her private married life where none of the outsiders supposed to know"

Jongin squints his eyes at Seulgi, "I still don't get what you mean".

Seulgi sighs again, this time deeper. She takes a sip of her ice lemonade before saying, "I can feel her. I understand why she wants to keep it a secret. We both know how Sehun feels about her. He never liked her. He always sees her as a burden, a problem, a trouble in his life. If she tells him, there will be only two reactions. Either Sehun will stay by her side or he doesn't give a damn at all. If Sehun changed and treat her nicely, she'll feel like it is out of pity. No women wants to be pitied. But if Sehun still doesn't give a damn, it means she's totally insignificant in his life. Either which, whichever happens, whatever Sehun's reaction is, both will break her heart"

Jongin scoffs at that. He puts his sandwhich on the plate with a face full of frustration. "Come on. That's nonsense! I see the way Sehun looks at her. Look, he has known her since her first breath in this world. So... even with the one sided love thingy before this, I'm sure she has a place in his heart. Plus, he is nicer to her now. Whether he realize it or not, he's starting to give his marriage a shot. I can see it. You see it too, right?"

Seulgi close her eyes, thinking. Like Jongin, she is also enveloped in frustration. "Well.. there's only one way. Sehun needs to make a stand here. If he really cares about Yeonhee, if he has changed, if she has a place in his heart, he needs to make it clear to her. He HAS to. That way, Yeonhee will feel safe and she'll tell Sehun about her condition willingly"

"That's not gonna be easy. As a friend, I'm afraid I have to say Sehun is sometimes blind and stupid, not to mention his in-denial syndrom. And.... the bad thing is... I think Yeonhee is way past her breaking point. It might be too late for Sehun"

Both of them stay silent for a while. Then Jongin says, "I will tell him.... without telling him"

"How?"

"I have my way. He's my best friend after all. Just hope he's not too dense to realize my hints"

 

 

 

 

 

 

Few days later...

 

Finally the time has come, Yeonhee is finally discharged. She's now a lot better. On the outside, no one could tell she just underwent a mojor surgery about a week ago. However, she has to be careful not to exert too much pressure on her body. Her body is still internally recovering.

Namjoon offered to send her home but she politely declined. She doesn't want any misunderstanding to happen. So she just called a cab to take her home. Sehun actually doesn't know when she'll get home because she told him her flight schedule changed. She just said 'Maybe tomorrow or the day after', she didn't give him a definite answer. Sehun was quite annoyed by her response but he let it slide anyway. He doesn't want to pick up a fight. 

So the moment Yeonhee arrived home, Sehun is quite surprised. "You're back!" he said as Yeonhee open the door. "Why don't you tell me? I could fetch you at the airport".

"It's okay. A cab would do, I don't wa

Please log in to read the full chapter