twenty-three

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
23

 

 

 

Yeonhee is pacing back and forth in front of the operation theatre waiting for anyone to come out to give an update. Sehun's parents are there as well. Everyone is restless.

Right after the incident, the ambulance brought Sehun to the nearest hospital in Incheon. Unfortunately, due to the head injury that seems serious and there wasn't a neurosurgeon at the hospital, Sehun was immediately transferred to Samsung Medical Centre. They have the best neurosurgeon there, plus the director of the hospital is a close friend to Sehun's parents.

"Hey, here. You should eat something". Jongin hands Yeonhee a packet of sandwich he bought at the cafeteria. Jongin has been there way earlier than anyone else since he was at the site as well. Just that he was lucky because he went to the car to get some documents when the building collapsed. 

He informed Yeonhee and Sehun's parents straight away though he himself was still in shock at that time. Never he imagined something like that would happen. Sehun was inspecting that area with other two staffs, then suddenly a part of the building collapsed and a pile of bricks fell on them. Unfortunately, one of the staff was pronounce dead on the scene while Sehun and the other staff were found unconcious.

"You look very pale Yeonhee. You need to rest" Jongin said.

"Yes dear, how about you take a rest at any hotel nearby. We'll call you if there's any update" Sehun's mother added.

However, Yeonhee is being Yeonhee. No one can persuade her to leave. "I'm okay. I wanna stay"

 

After it felt like a thousand years for them, a doctor comes out of the theatre. "Oh Sehun's relatives?" he asked them.

Sehun's father quickly stands up, followed by the others.

"How is he?"

"He suffered from a serious head trauma that caused brain haemorrhage. Luckily we manage to alleviate the swelling and prevent excess bleeding. For now, he is no longer in critical stage but we'll admit him into the ICU just to monitor him for a day or two. Other than that, he has fractured ribs, his left tibia is fractured as well, and a broken arm on the left. You don't need to worry too much, he's stable. He just needs a lot of rest. Give him time to wake up, it might take a day or two"

Sehun's mother cries her heart out in relief. His father thanking the doctor repeatedly. While Yeonhee, she stands there and keeps her emotion to her. She console her in laws trying her best to be their best support. Jongin too is relief with that news. He couldn't imagine losing a friend, a friend who has been with him through thick and thin.

 

 

 

It has been three days but Sehun still hasn't awake yet. His vitals are more stable so he's no longer in the ICU. The nurse has transferred him to the VIP ward as requested by his parents. Yeonhee practically lives at the hospital for now. She would only go home to shower and change clothes. Until Sehun is awake, she wouldn't dare leaving his side. Everyone thought that Yeonhee is so strong in handling this situation. No one ever saw her shed a tear. The truth is, she cried secretly when no one was around.

Yeonhee sits on the chair next to the bed. She holds Sehun hand praying that he'll wake up soon. She's very thankful Sehun is alive. Unlike the two other staffs, one died on the scene and the other is still in the ICU. 

"Please wake up. You cannot die. The world is waiting for you" Yeonhee said to sleeping Sehun. She holds his hand and gently kisses his knuckles. Slowly she rests her head on the bed while still holding Sehun's hand. Soon after, she fell asleep in that position.

 

 

"Yeonhee dear. Wake up honey. You should get some rest. We'll take over for a while". Sehun's mother taps Yeonhee's shoulder gently.

She then opens her eyes slowly. "What time is it? Ohh I fell asleep. Sorry eomonim"

"What are you sorry for. Look at you, you look so tired. Go home okay. Get rest for a bit then you can come again"

"It's okay..." Yeonhee tried to protest but her mother in law wouldn't let her this time, "Yeonhee, I insist" she said to her.

Looking at Yeonhee's stubborness, Sehun's father interferes, "We'll give you an update every half an hour. Even if he's still asleep, I'll let you know he's still asleep. Now, go home and rest. Okay?"

Now she doesn't have any choice, "Okay" she said compelling to their request.

 

 

At home, Yeonhee cleans up herself as fast as she can. She even brings along her phone with her to the bathroom just in case her in laws call.

After a quick dinner, she decides to lie down for a bit, just for a few minutes. But her body is actually very tired, she has been pushing herself way past her limit. As a result, she falls asleep instantly as she lays down her head on the cushy pillow.

 

Few hours has passed and Yeonhee is still fast asleep. What intended to be a five-minutes nap turned out to be hours of deep sleep. Suddenly her phone at her bedside table is ringing. She immediately jumps up waking up from her deep slumber. As she takes a look at the time on her phone, she curses to herself for sleeping so long. 

"Hello? What happen? Is everything okay eomonim?". Worried is radiated all over her voice.

"I tried to call you so many times. Are you okay dear?"

"I'm sorry eomonim, I wanted to take a nap but I fell asleep. How is he? Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine my dear. Sehun is awake now"

"Really?? Okay, I'll come now". Anyone can tell the happiness and joy from her voice.

"Take your time Yeonhee. You don't need to rush here"

"It's okay eomonim, I already have enough rest"

As she ends the call, all her emotions are finally kicking in. She starts to sob and then she cries her heart out. Happy, relief, sad, and worry, all those emotions are flowing out. She has been acting strong these past few days which was not easy for her.

 

 

 

Sehun 

"In a coma? How long has it been?" I asked appa.

I woke up a while ago with aches all over my body. My head feel dizzy a bit but just for a while. The last thing  I remember before everything turned black is talking to Jonghyun and Sanghee. We were inspecting the material of the building that seems very low in quality with sloppy finishing. Suddenly I felt like the building is shaking, then everything turned black. I also remember Jongin wasn't there. He might be safe.

"How's Jongin? Jonghyun-ssi and Sanghee-ssi?" I asked appa.

"Calm down Sehun. Jongin is fine. Luckily he went to the car when it collapsed. But the other two staff, they....." appa stutters a bit, he takes a deep breath and sighs. "Jonghyun is in ICU, but Sanghee died on the scene"

I gasp upon hearing the news. "We need to investigate the cause. How come..."

"You don't have to worry any of it Sehun. Your father will handle this matter. He'll find the root of the cause. You..... on the other hand, need to rest" eomma said while my head. 

"JeaHwa is beyond corrupted. They should be buried. We lost one good employee. Sanghee has a bright future with us". I know Sanghee for years. He was a very hardworking perso

Please log in to read the full chapter