Eleven (part 1)

It's always Sooshu

Once upon a time, there was a strong kingdom ruled by The Seo Family and they named their kingdom as Seo Kingdom. It has been a perfect list of rulers under Seo Family's ruling.

Their 47th King are known as the strongest one out of all previous Kings before him. He is Seo Daeho, the nation's beloved King. He has a loving wife, Seo Jinhee who is as good as him in terms of fighting skills and ruling strategy and was known as the perfect Queen. 

Then they have their only daughter, Seo Soojin. She is the best gift and a blessing to the King and Queen, as well as to the kingdom. She's born to be a future Queen as the King and Queen decided to just focus on her and the kingdom. 

When she turned 8, she starts to learn martial arts with the King. She was trained directly by both King and Queen of how to fight. She's a fast learner so it's easy for her to learn many things in a short period of time. 

When she turned 13, she's training under the royal guard division already. Following all the same rules and training like the others, going through all the harsh training with the others. 

By the age of 18, she was appointed to be the leader of Royal guards division. The King and Queen are proud of her achievement and decided to announce her success to the whole kingdom. 

Ever since then, the nation are looking up to her and they see her as a reliable future queen for their kingdom. The people look at her as a future queen who everyone wouldn't dare to mess with. 

When she was at the age of 22, she was asked to give her position as a leader of royal guards division to whom she chose personally as she will be in charge under the wings of Ministry of war and justice which was handed to her by her own father, The King himself. 

So she started to learn even more details about strategies and tactics under the ministry of war and justice. 

Seo Soojin grew to be a very beautiful woman and a strong one. At the age of 25, she had gained more admirers but she never look at anyone at all. 

Her father, King Seo Daeho decided that it's time to find a suitable partner for his daughter. Thus, the reason why the King and Queen make an announcement that they will be holding a grand dance party as a part of Soojin's 27th's birthday celebration and had invited royalties from other Kingdoms as well. 

 

"You look beautiful, my dear"

Soojin glanced through the mirror to see her mother just entered her room while being touched up by the royal ladies in waiting, her chosen helpers.

"Can you guys please leave us alone?"

All the ladies bowed in respect before leaving then Soojin looked at her personal assistant and guard, Jeon Soyeon. Soyeon understood right away by Soojin's eyes as she also bowed before leaving the room.

"Do I really have to find someone on my birthday?" Soojin asked the Queen.

Her mother just smiled softly at her, approaching her before caressing her cheek lovingly. Soojin's heart is in peace and feels the familiar warmth she had always got from her parents love.

"My dear, no one is forcing you to date but we would like to see you having a partner. We know if we wait, you won't ever meet anyone as you're always busy with training only" Her mother said.

"Tonight is your night. Just try to enjoy it and who knows, you'll find someone you like" She added.

"Ok mom" Soojin mumbled.

 

 

... 

 

 

"Your highness, everyone's here already and many of them want to meet you"

Soojin just sighed and nodded her head at her royal guard, Soyeon. Soojin walked in front of Soyeon, going to the ballroom of the Royal Palace.

Before going in, Soojin asked Soyeon to go in before her. 

"I'll be inside in a few. I just need to collect my mind" Soojin said.

"But-"

"I'll be fine, Soyeon ah. I won't go anywhere far" Soojin smiled to assure her.

Soyeon nodded hesitantly before decided to enter the ballroom first. Soojin then turned around and went to the other way, she walked calmly towards the front garden of the palace. 

She found a bench where she always sit but stopped when she heard some noise. 

"Ah! There you are! You naughty tiny thing!"

Soojin got curious so she follows to where the voice came from and found a woman crouching down near the small pond. 

"I got you now. Told you not to run carelessly. Didn't I? Look at you being all wet now huh"

Soojin tilted her head and approached the figure slowly before she stopped 2 metres away behind the woman.

"What are you doing here?"

The woman squealed in surprised and the puppy jumped out of her hold before running away. Soojin saw the woman turned around with a frown and pout.

"Now you make it scared" The woman said.

"Pardon?"

"Nevermind. I-" The woman paused as she looked at Soojin from head to toe.

"I asked, what are you doing here?" Soojin asked again.

"Oh. I was on my way to the ballroom when the puppy caught my attention so... Yep. Here I am" The woman grinned.

"Don't roam around carelessly. This isn't a place to do that" Soojin said firmly.

The woman giggled which causes Soojin to frown now. 

"So it's true"

"What?"

"That you are a very serious princess. A cold one."

"Are you insulting me?"

"No. I am complimenting you, your highness"

Soojin raised her eyebrows at the woman who still looking at her with a playful smile on her face. 

"Well, I'll see you inside then. It's an honour to meet you here, your highness" The woman bowed before standing straight up again.

Soojin doesn't know why but she found her harmless so she let her go. Usually, she'll interrogate anyone who roam mindlessly at the palace.

When Soojin finally entered the ballroom, she made alot of heads turned for her. She raised her chin up and walked with confidence towards her parents when she saw them. She cannot deny the pride she has in her as she knows how people falls for her the second they lay their eyes on her. 

"My dear! You're finally here! Come, meet our best friends who decided to finally show up after all these years" Queen Jinhee chuckled and wrapped an arm around Soojin.

"Meet King Wu Lei and Queen Hua Fei from Yeh Kingdom" Her mother introduced them to Soojin while her father just smiled.

"Good evening, thank you for coming" Soojin bowed kindly to them.

"Happy birthday, Princess Soojin. We heard a lot about you as your mother never fail to send us letters" King Wu Lei said.

"Thank you-"

"Uncle. Just call me uncle, and you can call my wife aunty" Soojin looked at him smiling warmly at her so she just nodded her head. 

"We actually came here with our daughters but they are nowhere to be found as soon as we have arrived" King Wu said.

"Don't worry. Let them have fun" King Daeho laughed.

"Your highness, you are here. I was looking for you"

Soojin and the rest turned to Soyeon who panted a little. 

"Oh. Meet our daughter's loyal assistant and guard, Jeon Soyeon" Queen Jinhee said.

Soyeon quickly bowed to Yeh King and Queen. 

"The Jeon?" Queen Hua Fei asked in surprised.

"Yes. She's a great fighter, like her family" King Daeho said proudly.

Soojin feel warmth seeing Soyeon smiled with the compliment.

"Hi mom! Dad!"

"Behave, Yeh Yuqi"

"Aye aye captain" The woman named Yuqi laughed then she bowed at Soojin's parents.

"Hello uncle and aunty. I am Yeh Yuqi, dad's and mom's first daughter" Yuqi introduced herself cheekily.

"Yeah. This is our first born" Queen Hua Fei said.

Soojin's parents laughed and greeted her friendly while Soojin only nodded in acknowledgement.

"You do have a cheerful daughter" King Daeho chuckled.

While the parents still talking to each other, Yuqi then turned to Soojin and Soyeon.

"Hello, Princess Soojin"

"You can just call me Soojin"

"Then, you can call me Yuqi! And Hi, Soyeonie" Yuqi winked at Soyeon.

Soojin raised her left eyebrow before glancing at the frozen Soyeon beside her. 

"You two know each other?" Soojin asked.

"No your high-"

"Yes we do! We talked earlier before she ran away from me but now I found her again! Isn't it amazing? It's like we're meant to be!" Yuqi exclaimed.

Soojin and Soyeon blinked their eyes in confusion at Yuqi. 

"Your daughter is really playful" They heard King Daeho comment when they heard what Yuqi said.

"Oh. Wait until you meet our youngest one. They both are a definition of troublemakers" King Wu Lei sighed playfully while the rest just laughed.

 

 

... 

 

 

For the sake of her guard who is as well as her best friend, Soojin excused themselves with an excuse to talk about something with just the two of them. 

"Ok, is there anything that I need to know?" Soojin asked when they walked toward the other corner of the ballroom, away from the crowds.

"Your highness-"

"I'm talking to you as your best friend right now, not as a Princess"

Soyeon sighed and nodded. 

"She's trying to flirt with me"

"A princess trying to flirt with you?"

"Exactly. That's why I tried to run away from her but she's very stubborn"

"I can see that" Soojin said in agreement.

"You don't like her?" Soojin asked.

"My top priority right now is you, Your highness"

"I never stop you from meeting someone"

"I know but I have my priorities"

"Anything that makes you happy then"

"I am comfortable. Don't worry about me" Soyeon bowed lightly while Soojin just hummed.

"Has anyone asked you to dance?" Soyeon asked in curiosity.

"Mm no"

"Even General Hui?"

With the mention of the current leader of Royal guard division, Soojin rolled her eyes. 

"I haven't seen him" Soojin said.

"Oh. You will, soon"

Before Soojin could ask, she saw Hui approaching with a smile on his face. 

"Greetings, Your highness" Hui bowed before lifting his head up to smile at Soojin again. Soyeon cringed seeing him smiling too sweet at Soojin like that.

"General Hui. Hello" Soojin nodded at him.

"May I have the honour to dance with you, Your highness?" Hui asked and reached out his hand.

They became close friends through the same training under royal guard division last time which makes him brave enough to ask for a dance but of course it's obvious to everyone too that he got his eyes on Soojin. Well, who wouldn't.

"Sure" Soojin just accepted his hand and let him lead the way.

Soyeon then moved to stay close to where Soojin at.

"Thank you for agreeing to dance with me" Hui said, still smiling at her as they dance together like other pairs around them.

"I don't see why not" Soojin shrugged.

"I missed training with you"

"You mean, you missed losing?"

Hui laughed even when Soojin said it with her straight face. He understands Soojin and her coldness. He doesn't mind. He knows Soojin is comfortable with him and that's enough to make him happy. 

"Ok. You got me. I keep winning now, so it's not fun anymore" Hui said.

"I'm sorry, been busy with you know what"

"I understand but I hope we can still find a time to train together again some other time, perhaps?"

"Yeah. We can do that"

"Great" Hui smiled widely at her and Soojin only hummed in response.

"Happy birthday to you. You're looking beautiful as always" Hui said to her.

"Thank you Hui"

Just then, Soojin got distracted when the same woman she saw at the garden dance her way in with a hesitant Soyeon. 

"Now what is she doing with my guard" Soojin mumbled.

"Oh. Princess Soojin, we meet again. Hi!" Shuhua bowed and grinned cheekily.

Soojin pulled away from Hui and stepped forward looking at her. 

"Soyeon?"

"Uh, Your highess. We- She-"

"I asked her to dance! Since I can see that she's bored doing nothing just standing there while looking at you. She only blurted out that she's your personal guard when I have already dragged her here" The woman said.

"Yah! Yeh Shuhua!"

There goes Yuqi, stomping her way towards them too and grabbed Soyeon's left hand. 

"I'm supposed to dance with her!" Yuqi glared.

"Then what took you so long???"

"Hey! It's up to me! You go find someone else to dance with"

"We haven't even got to dance properly yet!"

"Dance with Princess Soojin then. Soojin ah, would you please dance with my annoying younger sister here? "

Now Soojin looked at 3 pairs of eyes looking at her, expecting an answer from her.

"I'm sorry, I-" 

"I told you Yuqi. Princess Soojin wouldn't dance with me. I'm too charming and it'll be hard to resist me" Shuhua sighed dramatically. 

"I'm sorry, what?" Soojin asked, dumbfounded with what she just heard from Shuhua. 

"I'm known as the charming one in my kingdom so it's not new to me. I understand if it's hard for you to resist my charms. We don't need to dance together-" 

"Let's do it" 

Yuqi, Soyeon and Hui looked at Soojin in disbelieved when Soojin's the one who asked Shuhua now. 

"Huh?" 

"Are you afraid to be the one who can't resist me now?" Soojin asked with eyebrows raised. 

"I am not afraid of anything. Being afraid is never in my dictionary" 

"So?" 

"Alright. Let's dance and see who falls first" 

So that's how Soojin and Shuhua are now dancing together, with eyes staring directly into each other. 

"She finally found her match huh" Soyeon sighed shaking her head while Hui frowned before leaving the scene. Yuqi just laughed as she had already known that Shuhua is interested in Soojin but she just don't know how to approach Soojin properly. 

"I see, you have a boyfriend" Shuhua said.

"Who?"

"The guy who danced with you earlier"

"He's just a friend. He's General Hui, leader of-"

"I don't asked for such details, beautiful princess"

Soojin rolled her eyes at Shuhua's flirty remark. 

"And I'm just kidding. You're supposed to be searching for your future someone through this dance party anyways"

"Hmm"

"So, being the only one who caught your attention. I came to a conclusion to offer myself to be your partner"

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, I'm beautiful myself and we both are amazing. Our parents are best friends too. Don't you think we match well?"

"In your dreams"

"Ouch. Don't be so cold. One day, you will melt"

"Are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"Saying nonsense stuff like this?"

"That's rude, Princess. I am only saying the truth"

"Yeah yeah, right"

Shuhua giggled when she can see Soojin is annoyed with her. 

"I aim to make a memorable appearance for this ballroom and I think I have succeed" Shuhua said.

"Wha-" Soojin gasped when Shuhua suddenly grabbed her waist and pulled her closer.

"Next, I aim for your heart"

 

 

... 

 

 

A week after Soojin's birthday and the ballroom party, Soojin has started to receive letters from Shuhua who never stop trying to win her heart.

However, Soojin has never replied to any of it even though it doesn't stop Shuhua from writing her letters. 

"Your Highness!"

Soojin dropped her sword when her trainer suddenly stopped to bow at her mother who just entered the training field. 

"I think my daughter here had trained enough for today" Queen Jinhee said calmly.

"Yes. We're just practicing small details. We'll continue tomorrow, Your highness" The trainer said.

"Mom, what brings you here?" Soojin finally asked.

"I need to talk to you. Go wash up then come find me in the garden" Her mother said then turned around to leave.

"Thanks for today, General Hwang" Soojin said then prepared to leave the field.

She went to wash up fast before meeting her mother who was just having her calm time watering the flowers there. 

"I want a time alone with my daughter" Queen Jinhee said and so, the two royal court lady who keeps the Queen accompanied bowed before leaving them alone.

"I heard Shuhua have been sending you letters" She mentioned.

"Yes" Soojin walked towards the left side to look at the tulips that are fully bloomed.

"And you never reply"

Soojin just hummed and caressed the flowers gently. 

"Why is that?"

"I don't know what to reply"

"Oh. Don't tell me she make you speechless with her beautiful lines"

Soojin scoffed and shakes her head causing her mother to turn around and looked at her. 

"King and Queen of Yeh have asked for your hand actually"

"What?"

"But, their daughter insisted that she wants to make you fall for her and to be the one who will ask for your hand instead"

"Princess Shuhua said that?"

"Yes. That's enough to make your father interested in her. Mind you, he had rejected alot of royalties coming to ask for your hand"

Soojin then looked blankly at the flowers while thinking of what to say.

"We can honestly just marry you off with her but we care about you and we don't want you to be upset. So when Shuhua asked us a permission to try and win your heart, we said yes"

"..." 

"We don't want to arrange a marriage for you without your willingness. Soojin, my point here is, I want you to think about it. I kind of like Shuhua"

"Mom, that's almost the same as you trying to set her up with me"

"Well yeah but I am not forcing you. None of us does. I only told you to try to reconsider"

"I-"

Just then, they heard a noise coming from inside so Soojin and her mother rushed inside to see what's going on. 

"Oh my god! I'm so so sorry! I didn't mean to- I- Soyeon ah, you alright? I can help!"

They were greeted with a sight of a panic Yuqi trying to clean Soyeon's guard clothes while Soyeon kept swatting her hands off.

"What's happening here?" Soojin asked.

Everyone there bowed before explaining that Yuqi accidentally dropped a bowl of chocolate on Soyeon when she tried to help the helper.

"I swear it was an accident!" Yuqi defended herself and raised her hands up.

Queen Jinhee told Soyeon to clean up herself first so she excused herself to leave. 

"Its ok Yuqi. Don't worry about it. Where's your sister?" Queen Jinhee asked making Soojin to look at her mother.

"Shuhua is here?" Soojin asked.

"She's inside the King's study room with uncle Daeho" Yuqi answered.

"Why?" Soojin asked.

"Your father asked for a defence from Yeh Kingdom upon hearing Baek Kingdom trying to start a war with us as their King claimed that we're stealing their land on North West" Queen Jinhee said before gesturing Soojin and Yuqi to sit with her at the dining table for a hi-tea near the garden. 

"And?" Soojin asked again.

"Oh. My sister is in charge of our military defense" Yuqi said.

"I meant to say, we do not need anyone's help" Soojin said strictly.

"True. You have the strongest army" Yuqi nodded and shrugged.

"But its best to have someone to back us up" Queen Jinhee said.

"Besides, Shuhua offered to help" She added.

"She's kinda whipped for you. Just saying" Yuqi grinned while Queen Jinhee just laughed.

"Can we start eating first? Knowing how Shuhua is, she will go through every detail with uncle and we'll be starved to death by then" Yuqi said with her serious face making Queen Jinhee to laugh again while the ladies in court all tried hard to not laugh at Yuqi's cheekiness but failed to prevent their smiles.

Soojin noticed but just keep quiet, but then again she doesn't have any disagreement with Yuqi and Shuhua being there. The two makes her feel comfortable and harmless to her.

After the hi-tea, Soojin went to her father's study room to check on them. She knocked softly as she announced her presence and only opened the door upon hearing her father told her to come in.

"Ah, Soojin. Yes?"

"Dad. Mom is asking if you'll taking longer time discussing with Princess Shuhua"

"Oh no. We're done. I'll be joining the hi-tea now. Let's go girls"

King Daeho smiled and stood up with Shuhua. He left the room first with his personal royal guard who was there beside him all the time.

"Hi. The gorgeous princess of Seo Kingdom" Shuhua grinned at her.

Soojin just kept her poker face before turning around while saying "come and join us"

Shuhua just giggled and followed her right after.

"Don't you think we look so good side by side? We'll be a great pair" Shuhua said as she walked beside Soojin.

"I don't know Princess Shuhua. I never think of us that way" Soojin answered plainly.

"Then it's time for you to try and think of us that way"

"It is up to me of what I want to think about"

Shuhua then laughed and nodded her head.

"Ok, Princess. I look forward to the time when you will finally thinking of me as much as I do" Shuhua said.

"Mhm keep on dreaming"

"I will, for now. While I wait till it become a reality" Shuhua winked then Soojin just ignored her.

When they reached the rest, Shuhua took a seat next to Yuqi instead of next to Soojin. The King sat in the middle by the edge of the table while The Queen is on his right and Soojin is on his left. Yuqi was beside the Queen.

"Shuhua, please enjoy the tea and the biscuits we've prepared" Queen Jinhee said.

"Oh. I'm sure I will" Shuhua replied happily, making Soojin's parents to smile fondly at her. When Shuhua saw Soojin was looking at her, she winked at her again.