Seven (part 1)

It's always Sooshu

Smile. 

 

That was what was written on a small folded light blue note that was slipped into Soojin's locker. It was just a single word but managed to make Soojin feels something in her.

 

You're smiling. I like it.

 

It was the second time for Soojin to receive the same note.

 

Keep smiling, beautiful.

 

It was the third time. Soojin had noticed that she will receive the note every Monday. If she used to feel lazy to get up every Monday, now is not the same case anymore. 

 

Have anyone ever told you just how beautiful you are when you smile? Because you really are.

 

Soojin smiled as she read the fourth note and put it inside her bag. She walked towards her class with a soft smile on her face, sitting down next to her best friend, Miyeon while her other best friend sitting at the end beside Miyeon, named Soyeon. 

"Another note today too?" Miyeon asked her and Soojin just hummed as she nodded once.

"I wonder who it is. I'm really curious" Miyeon said tapping her chin with her finger. Soyeon just listened without saying anything. 

"Hi Miyeoniiii!" There goes Kim Minnie, the popular thai girl who's openly having a crush on Cho Miyeon who's also as popular as her just like Soojin and Soyeon. 

"Oh. H-Hi" Miyeon stuttered and smiled shyly when Minnie greeted her as soon as she entered their class. 

They don't sit together as Minnie have her own circle of friends and mostly hang out with her favourite juniors during lunch who are called the popular duo among juniors, Yeh Shuhua and Song Yuqi. 

Minnie's seat was on the right side of the class just one row in front of them. So it's easy for Miyeon to steal some glances at her everytime as her seat was on the left side. 

When the class have been dismissed, the students quickly make their way out to go to the cafeteria. 

Miyeon and Soyeon were talking about some stuff as Soojin just walking without any thoughts but then her eyes caught a sight of the famous beautiful Taiwanese who were talking to her classmates. 

When Soojin got closer, Shuhua turned her head and quickly made eye contacts with Soojin. Shuhua just give a genuine smile as she stares at Soojin. Soojin smiles back at her before she looks away and walked passed her. 

"Did Yeh Shuhua smile at you? Woah. She's so pretty." Miyeon commented. 

"Yeah. She is pretty" Soojin agreed but didn't think much. 

 

Seo Soojin, I'm having a hard time to calm down my heart when you smile. 

 

A new Monday, a new note. Soojin is getting used to it already. She will look forward to receive new note every Monday. 

"So, is it about praising your smile again?" Miyeon asked about the new note to Soojin when they're eating at the cafeteria. 

"Mm" Soojin nodded and eat calmly. 

"That person must really love to see your smile. It's cute" Soyeon said. 

"Sigh. Soojin is so lucky" Miyeon commented. 

"Go ask Kim Minnie do it for you" Soyeon teased which cause her to whine while Soojin just shakes her head at them. 

 

Hey. I think this will be my last note for you. 

 

Soojin frowned the next week when she read the new note. She shouldn't feel so attached to the unknown person who've been sending her this cute small note but she somehow feel sad when the person planned to stop giving her notes. 

So during the whole day, Soojin's smile vanished from her face and she looks down. Miyeon and Soyeon wanted to ask her but they can feel that Soojin doesn't feel like talking about it yet so they let her be. 

For the whole week, Soojin's moodswing is going bad. She tried to not feel too upset about the whole note thing but she couldn't help and feel sad. 

 

... 

 

It was a new Monday when Soojin dragged herself towards her locker with her down mood but she was surprised to find a cute light green envelope on her locker. She takes it and opens it as she take out the letter inside and read the content. 

 

Dear Seo Soojin, 

I thought I told you that you look prettier when you smile? What's wrong? I hope you're feeling ok. I honestly miss seeing your beautiful smile. 

I told you last time that I'll stop sending you note. Its because I'll write you letters instead from now on. I hope you don't mind though. You can throw my letters away if you don't like me giving you letters. I'll take that as hint from you. But if you don't mind, you can keep my letters and I'll keep writing for you. 

This will be my first letter so I won't say much. I just want to wish you a good day ahead. 

-SS

 

Soojin let out a satisfied sigh and a smile finally appeared on her face again but she's curious with the initial. SS? Who would it be? She just hope one day the person will let her know. 

Soojin turned around quickly feeling so happy that she bumped into someone. 

"Ow" 

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry. Are you ok?" Soojin asked in worry as she hold the girl's shoulder. When she lifted up her head, Soojin widened her eyes to see that its Yeh Shuhua, the goddess Junior. 

"Did I hurt you?" 

Shuhua shakes her head and smiled softly at her. 

"No, you didn't. Don't worry" Shuhua assured her. 

"Ah. Thank goodness." Soojin sighed. 

"Have a good day, Seo Soojin." Shuhua said and smiled at her one more time before she walked away. 

"She knows my name too" Soojin mumbled. 

 

... 

 

Dear Seo Soojin, 

Hi? This is my second letter. Thank you for not throwing my letter. I feel good knowing that this doesn't bother you. 

I can see that you're smiling again. Sigh. You are so beautiful, you know? I will never get tired of saying it because it's true. I really want to thank your mother for giving birth to a lovely, adorable, beautiful daughter like you.

-SS

 

"Do you like.. Have any idea about who this person is?" Miyeon asked Soojin when she told them about the letters. 

"I don't know. I can't think of anyone" Soojin sighed. 

Soyeon raised her eyebrows and leaned closer. 

"Did I just see you pout?" Soyeon asked. 

"No!" Soojin denied quickly. 

"Wow. This person really brings out a new side of you huh" Soyeon smirked. 

Soojin groaned and just rolled her eyes when Soyeon keep teasing her as Miyeon just giggling. 

Just then, Soojin saw Yeh Shuhua coming inside the cafeteria being all sweating and tired as she approached her friends and talked to her best friend, Yuqi. 

From the first time Soojin saw the girl, she find her attractive and cute. Soojin always find herself staring a little longer unintentionally. 

And right on cue, Shuhua turned and their eyes met... Again. Soojin doesn't know if she should look away and pretend she didn't just stare at her but it was too late for that so she let her eyes stays on Shuhua. 

Shuhua raised her eyebrows but staring at Soojin with a soft and gentle stare ever. Shuhua only finally stopped staring back at her when Yuqi grabbed her arm to get her attention. 

Shuhua just nodded and replied to whatever Yuqi was saying before she looked at Soojin again, and this time... Shuhua smiled at her. Soojin couldn't help but to smile back at her too. 

 

... 

 

Dear Seo Soojin,

You see, I really want to talk to you. That's why I came up with this random plan of giving you notes and now letters. I am also have been wondering if you would want to talk to me too? 

Well, here it is... I'm giving you my number alright. You don't have to text me if you don't want. No pressure.

-SS

xxxxxxxxxx

 

Soojin was ecstatic when she got the person's number. She didn't expect that at all, not this early but oh she is not complaining. She immediately keyed in the number and saved it as SS. She smiled in satisfaction, looking at the number on her phone screen once again before she walked towards her class. 

The whole day, Soojin couldn't focus on her lesson and she keep wanting to go back home. When she's home, she quickly washed up and settled down before she grabbed her phone and lay down on her bed. 

She bite her bottom lip and stares at her phone for few minutes before she decided to try and text the person. 

 

To: SS

Hey. 

 

Soojin scolded herself for sending a single hey but she got no time to worry as she received a reply immediately. 

 

From: SS

I'm sorry? Who's this? 

 

Soojin takes a breath before she types a reply this time. 

 

To: SS

It's me. Soojin. 

 

One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes. Soojin sighed and frowned when the person haven't replied yet. But when Soojin almost drop her phone, she finally got a new notification indicating of a new message. 

 

From: SS

Wow. I didn't expect you to actually text me. I need few minutes to process everything in my head earlier. It feels like a dream to finally get a beautiful woman's number. 

Anyways, Hi Seo Soojin! Thank you for contacting me. Just so you know, I'm over the moon right now ^^

 

Soojin chuckled reading the text and quickly reply back. 

 

To: SS

Is it? I don't know you'll react that way. Umm, hi too I guess. I'm sorry, I don't know what to call you. May I know who you are?

 

From: SS

Yes! Oh you have no idea how many times you make my heart almost burst, in a good way though. Hehe. Well, I am someone who studies at the same college as you. 

 

To: SS

Are you a sweet talker or...? And by my question earlier, I mean... Your name? Please? I really want to know who you are. 

 

From: SS

No. I only speak the truth and if you find me sweet then, I can't help it. You can call me yours? :)

 

To: SS

Alright. Definitely a sweet talker. I'll just call you that then. 

 

From: SS

Hahaha. I don't mind, really. I can be your sweet talker if that's what you want. Just remember that I'm only like this when I'm with you ;)

 

Soojin's smile never leave her face as she keep exchanging texts with the person. She don't know how but somehow, she feels comfortable taking to the person and she like it.

 

... 

 

"So you've been texting with this person for almost 2 weeks but you still don't know anything about the person's identity?" Soyeon asked Soojin when they walked together to their lockers.

"Yeah. Should I ask again? What if I'll make the person uncomfortable?" Soojin asked.

"Well. Nothings wrong in asking you know. I mean, don't you want to know by now??"

"Hm. True."

While the two of them taking out their books, Miyeon finally came with Shuhua beside her. Soyeon was the first one to notice them. 

"Oh?"

"Hi unnies" Shuhua bowed politely. Miyeon smiled at the younger girl and thanked her for helping bring her stuffs.

"She saw me struggling with my things so she offered to help. Isn't it so kind of her?" Miyeon squealed and pinched Shuhua's cheek. It was only their first interaction but Miyeon is already liking Shuhua's presence around her and adores her as a cute younger sister.

"Ah. Unnieeee" Shuhua whined a little and pulled away from her.

Soojin just watched them but as always, she find herself staring longer at Shuhua. 

"Thank you, Shuhua" Soyeon thanked her for helping Miyeon as Miyeon's busy putting her stuffs into her locker.

"Miyeon unnie. Hear that? Soyeon unnie thank me instead of you" Shuhua said and pouted. Soyeon just chuckled when Miyeon gasped.

"Yah. I thank you by the time you come and offered to help me earlier!" Miyeon said, defending herself.

"I know. Just teasing you" Shuhua grinned.

"Hi Soojin unnie" Shuhua finally greeted Soojin and looked at her.

Soojin smiled and nodded her head. 

"You're beautiful when you smile" Shuhua said softly.

"Ah. I gotta go now. See you unnies. Byebye" Shuhua immediately added before she left.

Soojin keep looking at Shuhua's back and Shuhua's words stucked in her head. 

'Could it be...? No. She's Yeh Shuhua. SS wouldn't be her initial at all'

Soojin sighed as she checked her phone. 

 

To: SS

You there?

 

From: SS

Always. 

 

Soojin feels like rolling her eyes but still, it brings out a smile on her face. 

 

To: SS

This might be sudden, but... I really want to know who you are.

 

No reply. Soojin sighed for the hundreds time and put back her phone into her pocket.

 

... 

 

Soojin was doing her assignment when she received a notification indicating that a new message coming in. 

 

From: SS

Do you really want to know who I am?

 

Soojin immediately stood still and typed a reply as fast as she can. 

 

To: SS

Yes. If you're ready to tell me...

 

From: SS

I am ready but are you?

 

To: SS

Of course. Yes, I am. 

 

From: SS

I'm... Your admirer. 

 

Soojin was dumbfounded when she read the text. She hissed before she replied.

 

To: SS

Really now?

 

From: SS

What? It's true! I really like you, Seo Soojin.

 

Soojin was thinking if she should reply right away or just ignore it first. She don't know what to say anyway. 

 

From: SS

Hello? You still there? Soojin? Jin ah?

 

Soojin raised her eyebrows when she read the last part of the text. 

 

To: SS

Jin ah?

 

From: SS

Ah. You're still here. Um yes. I like calling you with that nickname I had in mind. Is that ok?

 

To: SS

Mm. Ok SS. 

 

From: SS

Hahahahahaha. You're cute. 

 

Soojin can feel herself blushing with the unexpected compliment. She sighed and lay down on her bed as she re-read the text while smiling like a fool.

 

From: SS

I'll see you tomorrow, Jin ah. 

 

To: SS

Wait. Really???

 

From: SS

Yes. Well, I do see you everyday but I mean... I'll reveal myself to you tomorrow. 

 

Soojin squealed in excitement and quickly replied saying how she can't wait to finally know who's the person behind SS initial.

 

 

... 

 

 

It was during lunch when Soojin keep staring on her phone. Sighing for how many times already, Soyeon and Miyeon couldn't count anymore. 

"She's still not responding to your text?" Soyeon asked and Soojin just shakes her head lazily.

"Why don't you eat first, who knows the person is busy." Miyeon told her.

"Whatever. I don't have appetite. I'll go ahead first. See you guys."

Soojin stood up and was walking towards the exit door of the cafeteria when she was stopped by Shuhua who's holding her arm. Soojin looked at her in curiosity.

"I think you dropped your earring just now." Shuhua told her and pointed on the floor where a shiny silver cherry earring can be seen.

Soojin then pinched her both ears and can feel her left ear doesn't have earring. 

"Oh my god. Thank you." Soojin said before she kneel down to pick up her earring.

Just then, Shuhua kneel down as well in front of her causing her to look at Shuhua. 

Shuhua smiled and take out a cute bracelet from her pocket and hand it out to Soojin. 

"Huh?"

"Can we be friends? Jin ah?"

Soojin's eyes widened when she realised Shuhua's calling her with that nickname. 

"You... You're SS?" 

"Yes." Shuhua confirmed it to her, still smiling. 

"What took you so long? You didn't even reply to my text. I've been waiting since this morning." Soojin said as she frowned and already standing up. 

"I'm sorry. I was nervous. Please forgive me?" Shuhua looked up at her and still try to hand her the bracelet. 

"If... If you don't want to, then it's ok. I'll understand." Shuhua mumbled softly then looked down. 

Shuhua was about to put the bracelet back when Soojin kneel down again and hold her wrist. 

Shuhua stared at Soojin with her hopeful eyes. Soojin stares back at her as she move her hand and hold the bracelet now. 

"Ok." Soojin whispered before taking the bracelet from Shuhua and stood up, leaving a flustered Shuhua on the floor as she left the scene ignoring the eyes of students who have been watching them. 

Shuhua blinked her eyes few times before she snapped out of her thoughts. She grinned then standing up, going to chase after Soojin happily.