Chapter 41

A Story Titled You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The doctor’s appointment didn’t last long.

There weren’t any tests that had to be done again. Eri already had the results and it was basically just a follow-up consultation. Just to let Seokjin hear the words from the doctor himself.

"Angina is chest pain caused by reduced blood flow to the heart. The patient would usually feel squeezing, heaviness and tightness in their chest. It would last from five to fifteen minutes. And is usually triggered by physical activity, emotional stress, extreme weather or bad habits like smoking."

When Seokjin asked if it was life threatening, the doctor assured him that he wouldn't have allowed her to donate blood if it was.

"It's not usually life threatening. Fortunately Ms. Han's condition is the same, she doesn't need maintenance medication yet. And she already has propranolol given by her doctor from Seoul that she can take if the symptoms are severe. So there's nothing for me to prescribe, at least for now. But the frequency and severity could be a warning sign for more serious problems like or myocardial infarction. These risks could be reduced by medication and a healthy lifestyle."

Seokjin asked again if there's a possibility of it worsening.

"There is always that possibility, that's why it's important for people with heart conditions to visit their doctors regularly so they can be monitored. Even if it does worsen, the technology is advanced now and we can perform surgery."

 

They walked out of the hospital with Seokjin holding Eri's hand tight.

"Are you okay?" Eri asked, even though it was her hand that hurt a bit from his tight grip. This man really doesn't know his strength sometimes.

He sighs. "It scared me when the doctor mentioned surgery."

Of course. She thought. He's had multiple surgeries for his injuries before. "It'll probably leave a scar, but hopefully you'll still like me then."

"You really..." He sighs again. "A heart surgery is different from leg and arm surgery."

She knows it's not about the scar. She herself is scared of the possibility of her condition worsening, but she doesn't want to think about it all the time and live her life in fear.

He realized this and apologized. "I'm sorry." After all, the purpose of this visit is to reassure him so he won't need to check her pulse every minute, but turns out he just ends up worrying her more instead. He has a long way to go if he wants to be with her. "I just."

"I know you're concerned about me." She smiles at him. "As long as we follow what the doctor said, everything should be fine."

That's right. He smiled back at her, fondly. As long as he takes care of her, everything will be alright.

 

"Are we going somewhere?" She asked when he steered to the direction heading outside of town.

"Yeah." He replied. "It's early, there is still time before the family dinner so I'll take you somewhere for a bit."

"Okay." She agreed. "But let's drop by home before we go."

"Why? What's wrong? Do you need anything?" He asked, worried expression back on his face.

"Yes. I need to change."

 

 

He stared at her from head to toe when she got back on the passenger seat. She'd told him it'll be quick and he didn't need to come inside the house with her, so he waited in the car the whole time.

"What?" She asked when she noticed his eyes on her.

"Nothing. You look beautiful." He meant it. He just didn't understand why she needed to change. Maybe she didn't want to be seen in two different events in the same outfit.

"Oh thank you." She said not expecting the compliment. She literally just changed her clothes, shoes and bag but her hair and make-up is the same. "I'm trying to tone it down."

"Tone it down?"

"Yeah. Tonight's dinner is not about me, it's about Bunhong High being saved. The red skirt and leather jacket with the boots might be too much for some so I changed to neutral colors and everything that needed to be covered is covered."

He laughed. He thinks she is still well dressed and beautiful for someone trying to dress down. Though he isn't sure if this is the outfit she would've picked if she knew what will happen tonight.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

"Are we still in Bunhong?" She asked, as the view outside her window changes from fields ofseeds to hectares of vineyard.

He smiled.

"I didn't even know there's a vineyard here." She added. "It's really been a while since I came back here."

"It's only been around for five years. The owner found out that the land is located in the area of an alluvial fan. It provides preferable soil for grapes. The rocks of the vineyard are made of decomposed granite. Because of this property of the soul, this land has good drainage." He explains as he keeps driving.

She nods as she listens intently. Somehow finding the topic interesting. That or maybe because it's Seokjin that is telling her all these.

"The vineyards are cultivated using grass cover crop and no-tillage systems. This technique enhances the true nature of the grapes." He continued. "The grapes are also harvested by hand."

"You know a lot about these."

"Just a little."

"Is this where you wanted to take me?" She asked when he turned to a small dirt road alley and parked the car.

He got out of the car and assisted her out as well. Then took something out from the back of the car.

She saw it was a hamper. It was the same one as he used when he took her to the pink fields.

He took her hand and led her to the middle of the vineyard where there was a small pergola.

 

 

"This is the wine made from these grapes." He said as he handed her the glass. Then he had this expression as if anticipating what she thinks of it.

"It's good." She replied, not just because she wanted to please him but the wine was really good. "It has a rich and elegant taste, yet the fruity character of the grape remains."

"I'm glad you liked it. It was aged in an oak barrel for a long time." He beamed.

Somehow, it didn't take long for her to notice something. "I didn't know Bunhong had a winery."

"It doesn't. But I'm thinking about it." He blurted out and realized it was too late to take back what he'd revealed.

"Kim Seokjin, tell me, the owner of this vineyard that you're talking about earlier, is it you?" She asked.

"Are you mad?" He asked slowly, as if guilty of something. He'd started thinking maybe he should've stated it clearly from the beginning instead of being vague about it. It hasn't been long since they promised to be honest with each other.

She was surprised by his question, maybe her expression seemed like she was mad. "No. I'm not. Why would I be? I was just surprised." She stood up and walked a few steps forward, trying to see where the vineyard starts and ends. "Do you really own all of these?"

He followed behind her and opened his arms to envelop her into a backhug. "I'm glad you're not mad. I was just trying to find the right timing to tell you."

"Why would you need right timing just to tell me?"

"We had that little misunderstanding about me being broke, remember? And I didn't want to mess up again."

"So does this mean that you're not actually unemployed, but loaded?" She asked teasingly.

He laughs out heartily. "I won't say loaded but, I can definitely face auntie and tell her confidently that I can support you." He continued. "I bought this land with the money dad left me. I knew that I won't be able to get back into active service with my injuries so I had to look for other means of income. No one wanted this land because it wasn't flat. It also wasn't as expensive. I'm not really good with business, I just thought land is the only thing that doesn't depreciate so I signed. It took me a while to figure out what to do with it. Fast forward to now, I have a few local farmers and it's doing well."

"Wait, what about the crafthouse?" The confusion was obvious in her face. "And you're planning on a winery?"

"At first I wanted to sell the crafthouse to focus on this. I'm not planning a big winery or anything large scale. After all, I only have ten hectares. Just a small production local winery. But after what you've done with the crafthouse, I don't wanna give it up. At least give it one more try."

"No wonder you're so busy. You're a businessman!" She turned to him and praised. "But really, it's beautiful. The grapes, they're pink skinned."

"You finally noticed." He said. "A pink-skinned grape that is of winemaking variety."

She stared at him. "If you had let me paint the crafthouse pink, it would've been matchy-matchy!"

 

 

"Oh, we're not going back yet?" She asked when he kept driving instead of turning back to town.

"I have one small thing left to show you." He answered. "We're here."

"Oh that wasn't very far." She said, getting out of the car. Then following him into a big front yard, walking on a stone pathway.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter