Chapter 11

A Story Titled You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"I told you to stay in the truck." Jin said, as if scolding a kid that did something she wasn't supposed to do.

Eri wasn't sure if he was mad. Was he mad that she left the truck with the engine and ac running? Was he mad that she came inside and looked? But why? The sign said 'Open' and not to mention she was a potential customer. She is about to retort when the phone on her hand rings. It was Hoseok. "Yes, I called because of some change of plans..." Seokjin didn't need to hear her conversation so she hurriedly walked back outside and into the truck.

 

After the phone call ended, it was Seokjin who broke the silence. "I have to head out of town. So I might come home late. I already cleaned the guest room next to the living room, you can use that for the rest of the week." He said.

She was expecting him to make her clean the room herself since she's the one who will be using it so this was good news for her. "That was considerate of you. Thank you."

A flicker of what looked to be surprise crossed his face, then made a non-committal sound and continued driving.

She didn't let his annoying grunt take away the thoughtfulness. To her, his considerate act was a sign they were on the right track. "By the way, the crafthouse..."

"What?" He asked.

"Since Namjoon is the police chief, you're the one managing it now?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Nothing. I just thought the artworks are really good." She answered. "But they would look even better if they were displayed in a better setting."

"What are you trying to say, get to the point."

"Maybe you can update the place?" She suggested. "I mean, it already looks good on the outside, just needs a little paint here and there on the inside."

"Fraid not." He pulled over the driveway. "Like I said before, medical expenses weren't cheap."

Could this mean updating the outside of the crafthouse was all he could afford? Eri was deep in thought.

Seokjin usually doesn't have a problem deceiving people, but somehow looking at her expression makes him feel a little guilty. But then again why would he feel guilty when the whole point of this is to get back to her for playing with him in the past. He cleared his throat. "I'll ask uncle to drive you back after you're done here."

"Okay... Oh! Are you dropping by at the school?" She brightened. "You'll be seeing Myoung there right? We need to talk about this before you leave. Come up with something really romantic to sweep her off–"

"Your sister isn't exactly a flower kind of girl. Trust me, I know better than you do."

Eri rubbed her chest mentally. The two had been in a relationship before so of course he knows how to win Miyoung over. The sudden ache that blossomed under her ribcage was somewhat worrisome. No, the hurtful twinge had nothing to do with Seokjin and her sister. Eri was just concerned he'd messed it up. "You were eighteen then." She reminded him.

"Yes, but now I have eleven years worth of experience to draw from."

A pang of concern stabbed her in the heart. She hadn't given any thought to Seokjin's experience with other women. A miscalculation on her part. All there is to know is look at the man and know he had tons. Women probably dropped their p a n t i e s just one look at his handsome face. They wouldn't care if he was broke living in a small hanok and had a damaged leg. She cleared this time. "You're not dating someone now, are you?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but no, I'm not."

She gaped at him. "Of course it's my business! We're talking about you marrying my sister!"

He rubbed a finger along his chin. "All right, relax. I haven't dated anyone in... almost a year now."

"Who were you dating almost a year ago? Does she live here in Bunhong?"

"Calm down Eri, what are you a cop? She's someone I met in Changwon. Long distance relationship wasn't working out. Satisfied? Can I go now?"

She nodded, absorbing what he'd just told her. There was a part of her that thought he'd never gotten over Miyoung. She supposed it was silly to think he'd been pining after her sister all these years. Maybe she was projecting. Because it had taken her a while to get over Seokjin.

"Here's the key." He handed it to her before she got off the truck. "Lock the gates the moment you get inside."

She nods.

And he was off.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

After eating, she wandered around the house.

Looking at her mother's display of porcelain glassware, she couldn't help but feel bad at what the crafthouse had become. Even in Jin's house, he was living in a small old hanok with old appliances to match. He didn't even have hot water for baths. He deserved better. He'd served his country and had been grievously injured and now he can't even fulfil his dream of being a cop anymore. It wasn't right. Eri's shoulders slumped. He even cleaned the guest room for her. She gotta do something for him. Walking back and forth the empty dining room, she thought of at least one thing that she could accomplish before the day ends.

 

Suddenly she stopped walking.

She had money.

She could fix the crafthouse for him.

His house would need too much work, with plumbing lines and all that. The hanok is a huge project to take, but the crafthouse only needs cosmetic updates. She'd done this just a few months ago with one of her rental properties in Seoul. She could hire the same people and do it again.

 

But there was one problem. Seokjin had his pride.

 

As she thought of a way around that sticky point, she came up with the perfect solution. This will be her compensation to him for letting her stay at his place for a week. The crafthouse is income generating. As his future sister in law, she can't let her sister marry a broke man. The newly updated interior will definitely attract tourists. Tourists with money. Seokjin loves Miyoung so he would totally buy it.

 

She had no time to lose. She grabbed a pen and paper.

Ten minutes later, she was ready to make her calls. Not only was she going to help Seokjin, she'd also

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter