Chapter 37

A Story Titled You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Jungkook? Oh My God Jungkook!" Eri called as if the person lying on the gurney could hear her.

Kii, who noticed the commotion, stood up and walked towards them to see what was going on.

Seokjin recalled that when he saw the accident on the road earlier, he saw the three vehicles involved. A delivery truck, a pickup and a mini cooper. He identified the mini cooper as Sunhee's, and although the pickup was familiar to him, he didn't dwell on it because he was focused on Sunhee's wellbeing. Now he knew why it had looked familiar.

"Do you know him?" Taehyung asked her, coming out from somewhere, now in his scrubs.

"Yes. He's Jungkook, Jeon Jungkook." She answered instantly. "What's going on?"

"He's one of the people involved in the accident. But unfortunately, he's not as lucky as Sunhee. I can't tell you anything confidential but we're waiting for his family members." Taehyung said.

Eri turned to Namjoon looking for answers. "Did mom...?"

Namjoon caught her eye and had no other option but to fill her in, not just her but everyone, on the details about the accident. "We're still investigating, but according to eyewitnesses on the scene, the delivery truck was out of control. When it claimed the other road and was about to hit the mini cooper, the pickup that was behind the mini cooper, maneuvered to get the mini cooper off the road and out of the way. So it took the impact."

It took a while for Eri to process everything that was just said to her. Does that mean Jungkook intentionally saved her mother? That's why she didn't have any serious injuries? "His... his grandmother lives about fifteen minutes from the main town, it might take her a while to come. What do you need from her?" She asked, the panic still obvious on her face. When Taehyung didn't answer immediately, she continued. "Is it money? That's no problem. I'll pay for any procedure he needs to undergo."

"It's not that. The staff is still checking for blood." Taehyung said.

"Blood? What does that mean?" She asked again.

"He lost a lot of blood from his injuries. He needs blood transfusion."

Kii is shocked.

Eri felt like she'd been gut punched at what she just heard. Losing strength in her knees. Thankfully Seokjin and Kii are on her sides, supporting her.

"I'll do it." Eri said presenting her arms. "You can take my blood."

This time it wasn't just Kii, everyone was surprised.

"Oh, Rii." Kii clings on her hand as if comforting her and commending her at the same time.

"Eri, it's not that easy. A donor needs to be screened and tested first. That's why the staff are checking for reserve blood because we don't have time to screen."

"What if there's not enough reserve blood?" Kii asked. "You have to accept donors right? I'm type O, universal donor. I–" He stopped himself when he remembered the prejudice people have against gays donating blood. 

"Exactly." Eri said, voice steady. "You don't have the time and resources so you need a perfect match." Determined, she then declared. "I'm A-positive."

Taehyung is surprised again at how she knew of the patient's blood type when he didn't mention it.

It's not just him. Seokjin who had been listening on the side the whole time didn't hear Taehyung's response. Not just Taehyung's but Kii, and others praising Eri for her selfless act. Even Sunkyu was surprised at how she offered to save someone else's life. He could barely breathe as he stared at her. She was ashen, her hands that he held, trembled a little. No one noticed. Not one of them noticed. "Damn it, would you look at her. She has a heart condition. The only reason she is volunteering is because she wants all of your approval." The girl didn't even want to break her nail at the bar because according to her it's painful and 'It bleeds.' How is she going to stay conscious and not faint when her blood is taken out of her by bags?

The place went silent as everyone turned to stare at him.

He didn't care. There was only one person he cared about. He remembered when she was comparing herself to Miyoung and Sooah and how the two other women are well liked in town, unlike her.

"That's right Eri, depending on the illness, certain heart patients can't donate blood." Taehyung informed her.

"This hospital has a cardiologist right?" She asked. "I'm willing to take an exam, test... whatever is needed to be cleared to donate. We have to do something."

"Eri, you don't have to do this." Seokjin said.

She turned to face him. A tender smile on her face. She put her arms around him and held him tight for a couple of beats of his racing heart, then she looked up at him. "Yes I do. You know, Paris. And Jungkook being hurt is possibly the only reason why my mom is safe right now."

He rested his forehead against hers. "But I don't want you to be hurt."

"I won't."

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Eri hasn’t had the time to process the result of her most recent cardiology examination because right now she was scared spitless.

She hasn't donated blood before or gone through any procedure where her blood is purposely taken from her. But that wasn't something she could show on her face. It's a good thing she'd master the cold and aloof pretense she'd always worn. And the reason why she didn't ask Seokjin to accompany her inside, is because she knew he was confused at her insistence to help Jungkook. There was no time to explain and so she just asked him to...

 

"Trust me."

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter