Chapter 31

A Story Titled You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Eri looked around, searching the hall for Seokjin. With the parents and students beginning to file out the doors, she was hoping to catch a glimpse of him. To her disappointment. As several parents approached, she covered her disappointment, accepting their thanks with a smile. “You’re welcome.” She said, shaking their hands.

 

Then she saw her sister and step-father gestured they’d go first and that she should follow behind them. They talked earlier before the meeting. They encouraged her and told her Sunhee couldn’t make it like the morning meeting because she’s preparing dinner that she's hosting for the immediate family members. Her step-father had offered to give her a ride home since Kii gave him a ride on the way here but she declined saying Seokjin will give him one. And that they should just go first, she’ll see them at home.

 

Mrs. Choi came to her next. “I think the meeting went really well.” And gave her a warm hug before making way for a petite woman and her daughter.

The woman offered Eri a tentative smile. “I’m not sure if you remember me Eri. I’m Kwon Suhyun and this is my daughter Juhyun.”

“Of course I do.” She didn’t have a clue who the woman was. Her memory is actually good, she can remember every co-worker and client by name, occupation and company even after just meeting them once. It worked well as an advantage in her career. But the thing is, anything related to high school she’d forcefully erased from her memory. It was her way of leaving Bunhong and starting fresh in Seoul. “It’s good to see you again. I met Juhyun this morning. She was really well behaved the whole time.” Eri smiled at the little girl, who blushed. She initially thought the kid was the daughter of one of the teaching staff.

Suhyun smiled at her daughter too, then returned her attention to Eri. “She was with her cousin this morning. I’m glad the school doesn’t mind her tagging along with her cousin during baseball practice because I can’t find someone else to babysit her while I work. And you’re all she’s talked about the whole afternoon. She said you’re the prettiest person she’s ever seen and that you are cool. We all appreciate what you’re doing. If they close the school, I have to send Juhyun to another town when she becomes a high school student. I don’t know how I’ll manage because I’m a single parent now. Junho passed away two years ago.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that.” Eri said. At the mention of Junho, Seokjin’s close friend and teammate in the baseball team, she remembered Suhyun. She’d been one of Jieun’s minions. She didn’t physically hurt Eri back then but she did turn a blind eye and followed Jieun’s orders of excluding Eri during class activities and grouping projects. Eri thought Suhyun wasn’t a bad person, she just didn’t have the courage to go against Jieun, Sooah and Yeseul.

Seokjin was right. Life hadn’t been easy for some of the women who’d bullied her in high school. She’d heard from Kii that Jieun had been married once then divorced when her husband left her for a younger woman in Seoul. Sooah had an alcoholic and abusive ex-boyfriend that still continues to bother her. And Yeseul, her family who used to be one of the well-off ones owning the biggest restaurant in town, went bankrupt. Now she works as a waitress for the new owner of the same restaurant. Not that there’s something wrong with being a waitress, but with her high almighty attitude back then, it’s quite ironic. Maybe they all deserved what happened to them but high school was a long time ago. It was time for Eri to move on.

While she thinks their case was strong enough to sway the board, Eri didn’t want to be overconfident. But at the same time, she didn’t want to add stress on Suhyun. “We have a strong case to bring before the board. I’m hopeful for a positive outcome.” Then she sensed someone watching her, thinking it was Seokjin, she turned.

 

It wasn’t.

 

Namjoon walks toward them, fighting back a smile. “Hi Suhyun, hello Juhyun.” He said as he closed the distance between them. “Great meeting Eri. Seems like you have everything in control.”

“Yes, although someone in particular ignored my no cellphone rule.”

“We better keep going. Thanks again Eri. We’ll go first chief.” Suhyun smiled and moved away. But Juhyun stayed put.

“Eri unnie, will you attend the baseball practice tomorrow?” The little girl asked.

Eri was flattered at being called older sister because she can practically be Juhyun's aunt now. She remembered the baseball captain was the one looking after Juhyun this morning, so that teenager must be her cousin babysitting her. “Your oppa invited me, but I don’t know much about the sport. Though if you’ll be there I will try and come.”

“I will! Oppa will take me tomorrow so I will be there!” She smiled, then ran off to follow her mother.

“Baseball practice too? I guess you’re going all out to save Bunhong High.” Namjoon said.

She shrugged. “I’ll still be in town, thanks to you. And they’re nice kids.”

“So maybe I’m not the bad bullying police chief after all? Come on admit it.”

“It might have ended working out but you were a bit of a bully. I’m sure you knew what I went through back then.”

“Okay I admit, but I really did believe you we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter