Chapter 13

Arranged Marriage

ARRANGED MARRIAGE

Chapter 13

YEONWOO'S POV

"Can we stay at Lolo's house during weekends and in the attic on weekdays?" paalam ko kay Nancy while we're on our way to Lolo's house.

"Sure honey, why?"

"I asked a friend to make some changes in our bedroom so we can put the mini home theatre." I answered and she suddenly got excited.

"Really?! Thought you forgot about it." she said like a child.

"I made a promise remember? Sorry just got busy. The interior designer wants to talk to us, you in particular."

"Why?"

"So you can tell her what you want to do in our room."

"Her?"

"Yes. Her. Their company is one our partners for the interior designs of town houses and resorts." I explained.

"Ok." she plainly said.

"Don't be jealous, hon. I might be the one who would be, just in case." I said and she looked at me. "She has a girlfriend but they're on and off because she's a womanizer." I said shaking my head.

"Don't tell me she didn't try to court you?" she asked curiously.

"Well, she tried. But sorry. And we had a strict rule of no flirting with the boss and business partners." I explained.

"Good. That's why you're secretary is silently flirting with you." sagot niya at natawa ako.

"Do you really find her like a virus, hon?" referring to the name she changed in my phone book. She didn't answer and closed her eyes now pretending to sleep. Hay Nancy

-

"Dito muna kami during weekends, Lo. Habang pinagagawa ko po ang bedroom namin." paalam ko kay Lolo.

"Talaga? pinagagawa niyo na? Para sa mga magiging apo ko?" excited na sabi ni Lolo. Nancy and I were both speechless, that idea didn't cross my mind. "O bakit may nasabi ba akong mali?" Lolo worriedly said.

"No, Lo. Ahm, we...ahm. Hindi pa po kasi namin napag usapan ang tungkol sa baby." I honestly said. Most of the time ako ang umiiwas, I'm just too afraid, I guess.

"Bakit naman?" he asked.

"Gusto pa po naming ma enjoy ni Nancy ang buhay mag asawa." sabi ko na lang and Nancy just simply smiled and nod in agreement.

"Aba, eh huwag niyo ng patagalin naiinip na ako." Lolo said and again we both fell silent. Actually, Nancy tried to open the topic about having a baby not only once but i never took it seriously. I think Nancy felt that that's why she never tried to talk about it again. I wanted to have my own but the fear of not being a good parent always strikes me. I'm afraid I couldn't be a responsible parent knowing I don't have a good relationship with my parents. Especially now that they knew about my marriage with Nancy, I expect for a worsening conflict. It's more than a week now but I never returned Mom's call. I don't know what to say and I don't want to argue with them.

"Yeonwoo?" tawag ni Lolo sa akin.

"'May problema ba?"

"Wala po, Lo. May iniisip lang po." I answered.

"Kung anuman yan, hindi mo kailangan sarilin. Andito ako at ang asawa mo." he said and look at the both of us.

-

"Something's bothering you, Yeonwoo. I can sense it." Nancy said after we're left alone at the veranda. "You've been silent for the past week now. I want to think that it's all about work, but something's telling me it's more than that."

"Do you want to have a baby?" pag iba ko ng usapan. Hindi lang kasi mawala sa isip ko ang tungkol sa pag uusap namin ni Mommy.

"Is that the reason why you're so silent and out of yourself?" she asked but I didn't answer. "I'm not forcing you to have us a baby Yeonwoo, if you're not ready to be a mother then I can wait. I never asked you about it because I can feel that you're not ready. Don't be pressured by Lolo. No one's pressuring you Yeonwoo. We can have a baby if you're ready." she said and shifted her gaze at the horizon.

"I'm just too scared of the obligation. I mean...I don't know if I could be a good..."

"I understand, Yeonwoo. I do." she said as she held my hand. "But don't think that way because you're not. Loving and taking care of your Lolo is no difference in having a family or children of your own. You have that in your heart, you just too scared."

"You'll be a good mother, Nancy." I whispered and I moved to hug her from behind.

"And you'll be the best mother, Yeonwoo. Believe me, you will." as she gently caress my arms that held her.

-

"Ma!" I heard Nancy called out.

"What are you doing here?"

"Si Tito Pablo tinawagan ako and invited us over for sleepover kasi nga daw andito kayo. But your Dada has an appointment kaya si Kuya Lay mo ang kasama ko." Tita Myrongju said as we approached her. "Hi Anak." she greeted me "Andito nanaman kmi."

"It's ok, Mama. Lolo loves to see us all here. Thank you for coming."

"Hi Yeonwoo." bati ni Lay tapos niyang humalik sa kapatid at sa akin. "Any news? May pamangkin na ba ako?" he jokingly said.

"Lay, mauna ka muna..." Nancy interrupted.

"Siya siya tayo na sa loob. Nasaan si Tito Pablo?" tanong ni Mama Myeongju

"In his room po, Mama." sagot ko na lang and tahimik na akong naglakad kasunod nila. I really need to think about having a baby. Gusto ko rin naman eh, takot lang ako talaga.

-

"Sana we can have family bonding like this every weekend. What do you think, Myeongju?" tanong ni Lolo. "Kasama ang family ni Xiumin and Lay's girlfriend, too."

"Sana nga po, Lo para naman makalanghap ng sariwang hangin kahit every weekend lang." si Lay ang sumagot and Lolo nods in agreement.

"Ok lang po ba sa inyo, Tito?" si Mama Myeongju.

"Oo naman, Myeongju. Pakikiusapan ko rin si Richard na hanggat maaari ay huwag ng tumanggap ng kameeting pag ganitong mga araw." tuwang sabi ni Lolo. We had a nice and peaceful dinner with talks of random things far from business and money. It's more of bonding ang knowing each other. Remembering the past and knowing the plans of each one in the future. It is a picture of one big happy family.

"One big happy family." I froze when I heard it said out loud by the same voice I never imagined to hear at this moment. We all look at the direction of the person who spoke. Dad.

"Patrick...Jean...."Lolo called out as Mom and Dad are approaching. "Hindi man lang kayo nagpa sabi na darating kayo." He said as he's about to stand. Mom quickly walked faster to meet Lolo and hugged him while Dad remained standing in a distance. Mom walked past Lolo to greet me, I stood up and Nancy followed to stand.

"Anak..." she said after the hug.

"Why all of a sudden?" bulong ko sa kanya. She didn't answer but instead look over my shoulder, she's looking at Nancy

"Good evening po, Tita." Nancy greeted her but Mom flashed a timid smile.

"So it's true. You married the only daughter of Richard." Sarcastic na sabi ni Daddy.

"Ah..."

"Yes. I married Nancy." I quickly said interrupting Lolo.

"You always get what you want, Yeonwoo..." Dad said with fierce look.

"Just like you..." sagot kong tinatapatan ang tingin niya.

"Is this how you raised her up, Papa?" Dad confronted Lolo.

"Don't you ever blame Lolo, Dad. I will be worst than you think if I stayed with you..."

"Yeonwoo..." Mom said holding my hand.

"Maaari bang pag usapan natin ito pagkatapos ng hapunan?" seryosong sabi ni Lolo. Walang umiimik at naupo na ulit si Lolo. "Kumain na ba kayo? Maupo ka na Jean."

"I can't eat if someone else sits at my place." sabi ni Dad as he walked out of the dining area. I saw Mom looking at Lolo as if asking for permission and with Lolo's nod Mom excused herself and followed Dad. Everyone who stayed behind were silent.

"Paumanhin, Myeongju sa inasal ng anak ko. Akala ko nagbago na siya ng hinayaan ko siya sa buhay na pinili niya..." as Lolo took his seat again and gestured us to sit down.

"No need to say sorry, Tito." ngiting sabi ni Tita Myeongju

We continue our dinner, I gently held Nancy's hand and she just smiled back at me. No words from her and I don't know what to say, too.

-

"Maraming kwarto sa bahay na ito, Myeongju. Hindi niyo kailangang umuwi."Pakiusap ni Lolo.

"It is better if we go, Tito. Para makapag usap kayong mabuti ng anak niyo." Tita Myeongju reasoned and Lolo didn't insist anymore.

"We'll go as well, Lo." paalam ko na rin.

"Hindi mo ba kakamustahin ang magulang mo, apo?"

"We never talk, Lolo. We always argue and I don't want you to hear our arguments. Ma stress lang po kayo." I said smiling. "I will just wait for them at home."

"Ikaw ang bahala, apo." We all kissed Lolo goodbye and we're about to walk to our cars when I heard Dad.

"Can we talk Yeonwoo?"

"I will wait for you tomorrow, Dad. At home." I said.

"Can we talk now. Right here. As a family?" he seriously said. I felt Nancy's grip on my hand.

"You have to Yeonwoo. You can't just walk away and ignore this." she whispered. I took a deep breath and nod.

"Ok, then Dad. Let's talk." I said as we turned around to say goodbye to Mama Myeongju and Lay. Dad must have noticed that Nancy's staying behind.

"Yeonwoo. I said we'll talk as a family."

"Nancy's a family now, Dad."

"I'm referring to Lee."

"Nancy's Lee now." I said looking straight to him. I can see his gritted teeth at the hardness of my word.

"If I were you. I wouldn't want her to hear our conversations." Looking straight at me. "Don't say I didn't warn you." He said and turned around and walked away. I closed my fist and wanted to curse but Nancy's warm hand touched my face.

"It's ok honey, I will go with Lay and Mama." she lovingly said.

"I'm gonna pick you up at Mama's house when I get home tonight."

"It's already late Yeonwoo."

"Then I'll be sleeping there with you. If it's ok?" tanong ko at tingin kay Mama.

"It's ok Yeonwoo. That's your house too." she said smiling.

"Sorry for this mess." I said while hugging Nancy

"We all have family issues." she whispered. I held her face and kissed her deep.

"I love you. Message me when you get home." I said and I waited until finally they're out of sight. I stayed behind for a while. Looking up and inhaling the coldness of the night. I need it because I'm burning with anger inside.

LOLO PABLO'S POV

Nakakalungkot makita na ang pamilya mo ay nagkakasakitan. Sana andito ka Minerva para matulungan mo ako sa mag amang ito. Bulong ko sa sarili. Tahimik lang akong nakaupo habang hinihintay namin si Yeonwoo. Si Patrick na nakatayo lamang sa may bintana at asawa niyang si Jean na nakaupo malapit sa pinto.

"What was that, Dad?" rinig kong tanong ni Yeonwoo pagpasok niya.

"What's what? I'm supposed to ask that question Yeonwoo?"

"It's my life..."

"Of all people?"

"What's wrong with Nancy?"

"She's the daughter of Richard, don't you forget."

"I don't care whatever you have with Tito Richard. Nancy and I have nothing to do with it."

"Are you like Papa?" baling sa akin ni Patrick saka binalik ang tingin sa anak. "Anong pinakain sa'yo ng babaeng yon para mahulog ang loob mo sa kanya? Anong klaseng pamilya sila matapos makuha ang loob ni Papa ikaw naman ngayon ang niloloko nila."

"Watch your mouth Patrick!" sigaw ko na sa anak ko.

"What Papa? You trusted Richard so much, so much so that you even gave him almost half of your company. You even made him member of the board and Vice President of LGC! Now he wants to stay in power and hold his position so he gave her only daughter to Yeonwoo!"

"That's not true, Dad!"sigaw ng apo ko. Bumibilis na ang tibok ng puso ko pero pinapanatili kong kalmado ang sarili ko.

"It is the truth! Dam.n it Yeonwoo how can you be so blind!"

"You are the one whose blind Dad! You stormed here lashing out all baseless accusations to the family that has been there for Lolo all these years while you're living somewhere far without even thinking of us here. Do you ever think of our welfare Dad? Are you really concern about us or is it about the company?Are you afraid that what I have now will be lost to the hands of the Mcdonie?" bitaw ng apo ko.

"How could you accused me, you brat!"

"Just tell me Dad, are you concern of the company? If so then I can give up my position and all my stocks in your favour. Just let us live in peace and don't ever touch my wife, she has nothing to do with this. The whole Mcdonie has nothing to do with this. They've been here for us and for the company that you refused to handle because of your pride Dad." patuloy ni Yeonwoo at nakita ko ang pagkuyom ng kamay ng anak ko, lalapitan na sana niya ang anak pero bumaling sa akin si Yeonwoo

"Lo, alis na po ako. Pahinga na po kayo. Babalik na lang po ako ulit." halik niya sa akin saka tinawag ang nurse na nakaabang lang malapit sa pinto. Saglit niyang kinausap at saka kumaway lang sa akin. Lumapit sa ina upang humalik at tuluyan ng umalis.

"You raised her well to be rebellious, Papa." baling sa akin ng anak ko pagkaalis ni Yeonwoo

"I raised her well to be like you..." sagot ko at hindi siya nakaimik.

"Look at yourself Patrick and look at Yeonwoo. She speaks like you, hardheaded like you. Strong person like you. But there are things she has that I wished you had, Son. She knows how to give and trust."

"Papa."

"Nakikita ko lahat sa kanya ang nakita ko sa'yo noon, Anak. Pero marunong siyang magmahal at magtiwala sa kapwa. Magbigay ng walang kapalit. Hindi kinain ng inggit ang puso niya at hindi nagtatanim ng galit."

"You never supported me, Papa."

"I did, anak. Pero hindi mo nakikita yon dahil ang nakikita mo lang ay kung paano umahon si Richard sa poder natin. Paano nagbabalik lamang ng utang na loob si Richard at pamilya niya sa nagawa ng kumpanya sa kanila. He isn't making himself popular, Patrick. You saw everything in a wrong angle. If he wants my company, he could have taken it from me long time ago. He can take advantage of us anytime. Noon pa wala na sana ako sa posisyon at si Yeonwoo kung ginawa niya ang binibintang mo. But he only serves for the good of the company, for me, for your daughter. Hindi mo alam dahil wala ka dito." paliwanag ko. "You're not here for more than a decade and now you just came to make yourself look stupid. Nasaan ng dati kong anak, Patrick? Bakit inalagaan mo ang inggit at galit sa puso mo? Kaya huwag kang magtataka sa inaasal ng anak mo dahil wala ka sa tabi niya. Pati si Jean ay hindi naging ina sa anak niya dahil sa pagmamahal niya sa'yo, kahit saan ka andon ang suporta ng asawa mo. Ngayon masisisi mo ba ang anak niyo kung ganyan kalayo ang loob sa inyo?" huling salita ko saka ako sumenyas sa nurse at inalalayan ako papunta sa kwarto ko.

NANCY'S POV

"Do you think she'll still coming?It's already late." alalalang tanong ni Mama.

"She said she's coming, Ma."

"Ok I will go ahead now. Goodnight." Mama said as she kissed me goodnight.

For years I wasn't aware of what was happening between my family and of Yeonwoo's. Mama told me why Tito Patrick is so cold and distant from us. I was so concerned of myself that I didn't know what Dada has gone through when Lolo died. His struggles and hardships. Mama said Papa kept it from me because I am her princess. How can I be so naive.

I was in deep thought when I heard a commotion outside, I rushed to get out of the house and saw our guard outside our gate.

"Ms. Nancy...si Mam Yeonwoo po." he said.

"Bakit Manong?" I inquired "Anong nangyari?"

"Nabangga niya po yong plantbox sa harap." sagot ng guard. I came rushing at Yeonwoo's car, concerned that she must have been hurt. I opened the door at the driver's side and thankfully, Yeonwoo's wearing her seatbelt.

"Yeonwoo, are you ok?" tanong ko. I smell alcohol. "Did you drink?" I asked.

"I tried to sleep when I arrived home, so i drunk a little. But can't sleep, I can't sleep without you, Hon." she said in almost slurred voice.

"You could've called me. Ako na lang sana ang umuwi." I said as I slowly unbuckle her seatbelt. As I assisted her getting out of the car, I signaled to our guard. "Manong paki ayos mo na lang ang parking niya." I said and I felt Yeonwoo turn around to look at what she did.

"Sorry, hon. Wrong parking." she said while letting out a small laugh.

"You won't drink and drive anymore, Yeonwoo." I said as we walked inside the house.

"I didn't drink and drive, Hon. I drink then I lie down to sleep. I can't sleep so I got up in bed. Walked down the stairs and outside the house. Got into the car, then I drove here." she explained with hand gesture. Pilosopo pala ito pag lasing.

"Then don't ever do again everything you did after you had a drink, understood?" I said.

"What? After I drink I won't sleep?" she asked again. ganito ba to pag lasing? Sarap ihulog sa hagdan.

"Careful with your steps." I said while we're slowly taking steps up the stairs.

"I will be careful because you're with me. I am careless when you're not with me." she said like reciting a poem.

"You talk too much when your drunk, Yeonwoo." I commented

"Shut up, Yeonwoo. Shut up." she scolded herself but laughing , naiiling na lang ako. "Shhhh. Mama's sleeping." she added. I don't know if I will laugh or what. We're at the door of my room.

"We're here." I said as we enter.

"How much did you drink?" I asked because she's close to wasted, good thing she can still drive.

"Don't know I'm still pouring the bottle of vodka but it's already empty. Maybe half of it." she said her eyes looks sleepy.

"What?"I said, I want to confront her and scold her, but this isn't the right time. "You better sleep Yeonwoo, you're drunk." I said keeping my patience.

"No-no, hon. I'm not drunk." she said shaking her head while slowly moving away from me. "Look..." she slowly removed my hands from her and made her way to the room, walking slowly a bit sloppy but still standing and manage to reach the bed. "See?" she boasted as she reach the side of my bed. I just shook my head.
"So this is your room." she said as she sat at the edge of the bed and roamed her eyes around my room. She closed her eyes and breath in. "Yes, this is your room." she said smiling. Suddenly her face fell.

"Yeonwoo." I called and she looked up to me and extend her hand. I walked towards her and took her hand as she pulled me closer, I am now standing between her legs. She wrapped her arms around my body and pulled me closer to her. I know she's troubled and I don't know how to console her. I held and kissed the top of her head. "Everything will be fine, honey." I said and I felt her nod. We're in that position for few minutes, then I felt her head raised up to face me.

"Hon, if I'm just an ordinary worker, will you still love me?" She asked.

"I fell in love with you as you, Yeonwoo. Not of what your status in life or what you have." I honestly said. "Of course I will love you."

"Kahit na sakaling maging PA mo ako?" she asked again this time with a curve of smile on her lips.

"Yup, kahit PA pa kita. Kung mahal kita, mahal kita." I said cupping her face with my hands.

"I can sleep soundly now." she whispered.

"Why, what's bothering you?" I concern. She just shook her head.

"I can't sleep because I can't hear your snore." she kiddingly said and laughed.

"Ah ganon!" I pinched her nose and bent down to meet her lips. I can feel her love in her kiss. the warmth of her touch and embrace. "Let's get you changed." I said when our lips parted. "Do you want to shower?" she just shook her head.

"Want to sleep." she simply said

"Ok, let me change your clothes first, yes?" I offered and she just nod. I walked to my closet and got a pair of white shirt and pajama. It was just a matter of seconds but when I came back to Yeonwoo she was already lying in bed in a fetus position. She really is sleepy I said to myself but when I walked closed to her, I saw her body shaking, she's crying silently. I felt broken to see Yeonwoo like this. I climbed up in bed and put my arms around her covering her with my whole body. Her silent sobs breaks my heart.

"Shhhh.Everything will be ok, honey. We'll get by this together. I won't leave you. I love so much." I whispered and I felt her move and hugged me tight. We held each other so tight like we depend on each other. We held like one can't live without the other. She fell asleep with the gentle of my hand on her back and the whisper of i love yous that I repeated like a song.